PDA

View Full Version : Asian Traffic on Hindi Domains and Yes a Click!

Rubber Duck
7th September 2006, 02:52 PM
निर्देशिका.com
चित्रशोध.com
चित्रशोध.com

These three all picked up one view and we got a click on the last one as well, all from Asia and presumably from India. Two out of three are ranked in top three on Google. The click shows that some relevant Ads must be being served on the ND system. So this is all looking very promising.

We urgently need to get India and Hindi properly set up at ND so we can get a better picture of the market as it develops!

tee1
8th September 2006, 02:26 AM
Good deal, I am waiting for my first hindi click from asia, I did however get my first Urdu click from Asia today (.03 for گیم.com) maybe things are looking up. I was about to give up on urdu.
tee1

Rubber Duck
8th September 2006, 06:44 AM
Good deal, I am waiting for my first hindi click from asia, I did however get my first Urdu click from Asia today (.03 for گیم.com) maybe things are looking up. I was about to give up on urdu.
tee1

I think the click you got is more likely to be Farsi from Iran, than Urdu from Pakistan. No real way of knowing but the Persian terms are quite popular and this seems to be common to both languages.

domainguru
8th September 2006, 07:10 AM
The click shows that some relevant Ads must be being served on the ND system.

Not necessarily at all. I have Thai domains that don't have any relevant Thai ads , so show English ads instead, and still get 50% CTR.

Rubber Duck
8th September 2006, 07:14 AM
Not necessarily at all. I have Thai domains that don't have any relevant Thai ads , so show English ads instead, and still get 50% CTR.

Thais are wonderful people. Very proficient with the mouse. If the rest were half as keen we would be home and dry!

domainguru
8th September 2006, 07:25 AM
Thais are wonderful people. Very proficient with the mouse. If the rest were half as keen we would be home and dry!

True enough. But I guess I should add they are looking for adult content most of the time!

Rubber Duck
8th September 2006, 08:54 AM
True enough. But I guess I should add they are looking for adult content most of the time!

No, I don't have much in that field, but it would seem from what you are saying that it is largely SERP related. Getting indexed would seem a priority. With Google you can generally get things sorted in a couple of days.

touchring
8th September 2006, 09:02 AM
No, I don't have much in that field, but it would seem from what you are saying that it is largely SERP related. Getting indexed would seem a priority. With Google you can generally get things sorted in a couple of days.

No doubt that people are starting to type-in Hindi names in the near future, but parking pages will lose their index after a while. e.g.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=site%3Asex.net&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=site%3Amy.com&btnG=Search&meta=
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=site%3Aass.com&btnG=Search&meta=

All is not lost - just generate our own parking mini-site using adsense. Trick is how to do this quickly and in a foriegn language.

Rubber Duck
8th September 2006, 09:11 AM
No doubt that people are starting to type-in Hindi names in the near future, but parking pages will lose their index after a while. e.g.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=site%3Asex.net&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=site%3Amy.com&btnG=Search&meta=
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=site%3Aass.com&btnG=Search&meta=

All is not lost - just generate our own parking mini-site using adsense. Trick is how to do this quickly and in a foriegn language.

My take is that newly indexed sites are give an initial score equivalent to PR ranking of say about 3 or 4 until they are properly evaluated. Once that happens SERP is based on actual PR which requires a full assessment by Google. Where you end up will largely depend on the value of your offering. I bet most Parking Pages get dumped to 0, but I would suspect that Adsense for Domains customers get preferential treatment.

bwhhisc
8th September 2006, 11:13 AM

I was just looking at my Thai hits at Namedrive and thinking the same thing.

tee1
8th September 2006, 01:48 PM
I think the click you got is more likely to be Farsi from Iran, than Urdu from Pakistan. No real way of knowing but the Persian terms are quite popular and this seems to be common to both languages.

Your are probably right on this one. I am just not sure why some of my urdu terms are not getting views/clicks. However, I am excited about some of my Persian domains, I would register a few more but am not sure about the market for them or the income potential. I have tried to separate my domains that I think are pure urdu and the ones that are Persian/Urdu to try and make sure I know which ones are getting action, I will reevaulate this one.

Thanks
tee1

touchring
8th September 2006, 01:51 PM
My take is that newly indexed sites are give an initial score equivalent to PR ranking of say about 3 or 4 until they are properly evaluated. Once that happens SERP is based on actual PR which requires a full assessment by Google. Where you end up will largely depend on the value of your offering. I bet most Parking Pages get dumped to 0, but I would suspect that Adsense for Domains customers get preferential treatment.

Well, i really do not know, haven't really charted an idn for it's lifecycle from registration to indexing and to out of index. Lots of talk on this, but no concrete evidence.

Rubber Duck
8th September 2006, 02:17 PM
Your are probably right on this one. I am just not sure why some of my urdu terms are not getting views/clicks. However, I am excited about some of my Persian domains, I would register a few more but am not sure about the market for them or the income potential. I have tried to separate my domains that I think are pure urdu and the ones that are Persian/Urdu to try and make sure I know which ones are getting action, I will reevaulate this one.

Thanks
tee1

I have done this by looking at the Titles and Urls from Google Searches. Trust me most of the action at the moment is Persian, but I think that will change.

The risk is that you only look at the traffic and decide that pure Urdu terms are not much good when they could be gems later.

Well, i really do not know, haven't really charted an idn for it's lifecycle from registration to indexing and to out of index. Lots of talk on this, but no concrete evidence.

I you set up a link page. You can generally get indexed with hours of being parked. Unparked domains never get indexed. Oddly Google seems to randomly pick up some without doing anything at all but others, it is a real problem. I think there is upper limit on the Sandbox, but no lower limit. Just depends when they get around to things. It might be that prominence in SERP gets you notice and you get trashed earlier. Don't know.

I am guessing that there are tale tale signature in your web page that marks you out as Parking. Probably just looks at the IP and checks it against a small library.

abdussamad
8th September 2006, 03:50 PM

Thanks
tee1

I am new to IDN domains and I am wondering who your target audience for Urdu domains is? Which country do you think has the most potential for Urdu domains?

Rubber Duck
8th September 2006, 03:59 PM
I am new to IDN domains and I am wondering who your target audience for Urdu domains is? Which country do you think has the most potential for Urdu domains?

Urdu, is an interesting one. I started registering Urdu only to find that most of the Google results and traffic came from Iran. India in theory has the largest number of Urdu speakers but I am not sure about their Socio-economic status. Urdu is the official language in Pakistan, but it not what people generally speak. It is a fairly confusing situation. Some also argue that Urdu is not really a distinct language from Hindi, but clearly in the written form it is absolute distinct with its own script.

tee1
8th September 2006, 05:40 PM
I have done this by looking at the Titles and Urls from Google Searches. Trust me most of the action at the moment is Persian, but I think that will change.

The risk is that you only look at the traffic and decide that pure Urdu terms are not much good when they could be gems later.

That’s what bothers me or is a little unsettling. I don’t have anything to go on other than a dictionary and a translator. Which I guess should be enough, but after 6 months I would like to have some kind of data, also I don’t feel like I can do anything with either my Persian or urdu terms. I knew the risks when I regged the Persian terms, but I feel like a moth drawn to flame.

I followed RD into Urdu from an earlier post which his post below touches on, I think he is on target. I know from speaking with individuals from northern India urdu seems to be spoken much more than it is written and as the Duck indicated mixed in with hindi. That probably helps to inflate the number of urdu speakers to 103 million

One point that RD provided in an earlier post was to use usOVT to see if the term is searched. That probably eliminates many true urdu terms and gives the best results for Persian/urdu terms. There are several good terms available, but they do have risks.

To answer your question, I am banking on Iran then Pakistan but mostly Iran and individuals who have migrated to other parts of the world. I also think urdu is a long term hold, probably longer than hindi JMO.

Urdu, is an interesting one. I started registering Urdu only to find that most of the Google results and traffic came from Iran. India in theory has the largest number of Urdu speakers but I am not sure about their Socio-economic status. Urdu is the official language in Pakistan, but it not what people generally speak. It is a fairly confusing situation. Some also argue that Urdu is not really a distinct language from Hindi, but clearly in the written form it is absolute distinct with its own script.

abdussamad
what your feeling about google adsense in the arabic/persian world?

mod please move/delete my posts if I have migrated to far away from RD original post

abdussamad
9th September 2006, 11:25 PM
Urdu is the official language in Pakistan, but it not what people generally speak. It is a fairly confusing situation. Some also argue that Urdu is not really a distinct language from Hindi, but clearly in the written form it is absolute distinct with its own script.

Ok first I can tell you that Urdu is definitely widely spoken in Pakistan. I live in Karachi but I recently travelled to the other end of the country on holiday and Urdu was spoken and understood there as well. So Urdu is pretty widely spoken although the most widely spoken language in Pakistan is Punjabi. Encarta says that 75% of Pakistanis speak Urdu which I think is pretty accurate. Urdu and Punjabi both use the Arabic script with a few extra letters. It is a distinct language from Hindi although there is enough similarity between the two that Urdu speakers can understand (spoken) everyday Hindi and vice versa. My real concern is how many of Pakistan's millions will actually use Urdu when computing. To use urdu you have to change your keyboard layout, learn this new layout and use IE 7 or FF etc. Are they really going to bother with all that?

abdussamad
what your feeling about google adsense in the arabic/persian world?

Sorry I don't know anything about adsense or the Arab/Persian world. I am from Pakistan.

Rubber Duck
9th September 2006, 11:51 PM
IE 7 will soon come virtually as standard. There have been so many problem with IE 6 and it is now so outdated, it is unlikely to persist for very long. IE 7 is being introduced as a high priority update for XP users. Windows 98 is now on extended support which basically means it is finished as a main operating system. All new systems will be sold with IDN compatible browsers.

As far as keyboards, I have no idea what is used in Pakistan at the moment, but if Urdu is the official language one must assume that it is used by Government Departments and that they are suitably equipped. The vast amount of Urdu content on the internet would also suggest that many are equipped to use it. Bilinguigal keyboards are not a big deal. You can convert with just a new softwear driver and some key stickers. If new bilingual keyboards are not available at a reasonable price, however, they soon will be.

Ok first I can tell you that Urdu is definitely widely spoken in Pakistan. I live in Karachi but I recently travelled to the other end of the country on holiday and Urdu was spoken and understood there as well. So Urdu is pretty widely spoken although the most widely spoken language in Pakistan is Punjabi. Encarta says that 75% of Pakistanis speak Urdu which I think is pretty accurate. Urdu and Punjabi both use the Arabic script with a few extra letters. It is a distinct language from Hindi although there is enough similarity between the two that Urdu speakers can understand (spoken) everyday Hindi and vice versa. My real concern is how many of Pakistan's millions will actually use Urdu when computing. To use urdu you have to change your keyboard layout, learn this new layout and use IE 7 or FF etc. Are they really going to bother with all that?

Sorry I don't know anything about adsense or the Arab/Persian world. I am from Pakistan.

abdussamad
10th September 2006, 12:52 AM
IE 7 will soon come virtually as standard. There have been so many problem with IE 6 and it is now so outdated, it is unlikely to persist for very long. IE 7 is being introduced as a high priority update for XP users. Windows 98 is now on extended support which basically means it is finished as a main operating system. All new systems will be sold with IDN compatible browsers.

As far as keyboards, I have no idea what is used in Pakistan at the moment, but if Urdu is the official language one must assume that it is used by Government Departments and that they are suitably equipped. The vast amount of Urdu content on the internet would also suggest that many are equipped to use it. Bilinguigal keyboards are not a big deal. You can convert with just a new softwear driver and some key stickers. If new bilingual keyboards are not available at a reasonable price, however, they soon will be.

Ah but things are not that simple. The vast majority of computer users in this country use pirated windows. Assuming that you know about IE 7 and you have a fast enough Internet connection to download it you still need a genuine copy of windows to use it. And because this is a poor country there are a lot of old computers running win 98/2k etc. It'll take years before IE 7 becomes popular in this country.

Pakistan is different from say Japan or China where English is rarely spoken. Pakistan is closer to India in this regard in that English is widely spoken by the demographic that uses computers. There are no Urdu language keyboards that I know of. They are not available in any computer shops and the few computerised govt. departments that exist use English language keyboards. And of course there is no Urdu language windows. In short all computing tasks are done in English and there is no govt. initiative to change that.

Rubber Duck
10th September 2006, 09:01 AM
Ah but things are not that simple. The vast majority of computer users in this country use pirated windows. Assuming that you know about IE 7 and you have a fast enough Internet connection to download it you still need a genuine copy of windows to use it. And because this is a poor country there are a lot of old computers running win 98/2k etc. It'll take years before IE 7 becomes popular in this country.

Pakistan is different from say Japan or China where English is rarely spoken. Pakistan is closer to India in this regard in that English is widely spoken by the demographic that uses computers. There are no Urdu language keyboards that I know of. They are not available in any computer shops and the few computerised govt. departments that exist use English language keyboards. And of course there is no Urdu language windows. In short all computing tasks are done in English and there is no govt. initiative to change that.

I am pretty sure that you are wrong about the Urdu Langange Windows. Windows is available in all the important Indic Scripts. Microsofts Glossaries for Windows has been one of our major linguistic sources. Admittedly some of their translation reallly stink!

I have to say I am a little surprised. Living in Bradford which has a huge Pakistani Immigrant community, all our government departments and agencies are obliged to produce just about everything in Urdu as many have little or no English whatsoever.

abdussamad
10th September 2006, 12:57 PM
I am pretty sure that you are wrong about the Urdu Langange Windows. Windows is available in all the important Indic Scripts. Microsofts Glossaries for Windows has been one of our major linguistic sources. Admittedly some of their translation reallly stink!

I have to say I am a little surprised. Living in Bradford which has a huge Pakistani Immigrant community, all our government departments and agencies are obliged to produce just about everything in Urdu as many have little or no English whatsoever.

Maybe your right about Urdu language windows. But I haven't seen any in Pakistan. As I said most users here use pirated software and that is only available in English.

tee1
10th September 2006, 01:28 PM

BTW Welcome to the forum

It may take a few years but history has shown that all users will eventually upgrade to IE7 (check the stats for previous versions of IE). Input from Pakistan is welcome. 75% speaking urdu in Pakistan sounds good to me. Check out the forum, the issue of IDNs over ASCII has been debated several times, most here are true believers in IDNs.

There are many gems left in Urdu.
Tim

touchring
10th September 2006, 02:04 PM

Do you mean even documents and emails sent between fellow Pakistanis are in English? If you need to generate banners, do you use English as well??

abdussamad
10th September 2006, 02:11 PM
Do you mean even documents and emails sent between fellow Pakistanis are in English? If you need to generate banners, do you use English as well??

Emails yes, documents depends on the subject I guess. I suggest you visit wiredpakistan.com or pakpassion.net . The latter is a cricket site and it's forums will give you a good idea of what I mean.

The potential for Urdu language domains is definitely there. But its a long term investment.

touchring
10th September 2006, 02:48 PM
Emails yes, documents depends on the subject I guess. I suggest you visit wiredpakistan.com or pakpassion.net . The latter is a cricket site and it's forums will give you a good idea of what I mean.

The potential for Urdu language domains is definitely there. But its a long term investment.

Yes, it's a long term investment, but the prime names worth the long term wait are already taken in the short term. Whether second tier names are worth the long term wait will depend very much on one's expectations.

Rubber Duck
10th September 2006, 03:44 PM
Yes, it's a long term investment, but the prime names worth the long term wait are already taken in the short term. Whether second tier names are worth the long term wait will depend very much on one's expectations.

I doubt whether all the prime terms are exhausted. I don't think the field has been examined in sufficient depth by local language experts to be clear that is the case.

Yes, I would agree that it far too early to concerned about any other than very commericial terms. Urdu except for local language speakers should be seen as part of a mix portfolio, which hopefully would contain some Japanese, Chinese, Russian and Arabic.

I agree about the long-term investment, in as much as I don't expect to sell Urdu terms in the short-term. Indeed, I doubt that I will ever sell Urdu Terms, as they won't raise much against their potential now, and by the time they start to fulfill that potential selling won't be something we expect to be doing.

Fka200
31st October 2007, 11:36 PM
Old thread but I got bored and logged into my Namedrive account. Hindi actually made me some money this week. Nothing like some of my other names, but surprised.