PDA

View Full Version : Punycode registration equivalent to IDN?

abdussamad
10th September 2006, 04:53 PM
I want to register an IDN at a registrar that does not support web based IDN registration. If I use a third party online tool to convert my idn to puny code and then register the punycode version will that be the same as registering the IDN?

rhys
10th September 2006, 05:04 PM
I want to register an IDN at a registrar that does not support web based IDN registration. If I use a third party online tool to convert my idn to puny code and then register the punycode version will that be the same as registering the IDN?

No. I have tried that before and just waited and waited while my colleagues regged my great domains instead. Most of us recommend Domainsite as the place to register IDNs.

10th September 2006, 05:09 PM
i only recommand dynadot for the fact they are the only registrar i know of that currently allows deletion of a reg. within 5days for account credit.

mulligan
10th September 2006, 05:13 PM

If your registrar of choice doesnt support puny code dont bother...
Speaking from experience.

Rubber Duck
10th September 2006, 05:26 PM
I think you will find that in order to register a name beginning with xn-- Versign require that registrar to be approved for IDN . If that are not approve to register IDN, then that registration are will not occur. I don't think the hurdles are very high, but Verisign expects registrars to at least understand what an IDN is before they permit them to register them.

abdussamad
10th September 2006, 05:26 PM
Dynadot or domainsite are not an option because I don't have a credit card and paypal does not support my country. Also I have a few questions for each of you :D

No. I have tried that before and just waited and waited while my colleagues regged my great domains instead. Most of us recommend Domainsite as the place to register IDNs.

Why did you have to wait? Web based registrations are instantaneous right?

i only recommand dynadot for the fact they are the only registrar i know of that currently allows deletion of a reg. within 5days for account credit.

Almost every registrar, including the one I have in mind (creativeon.com), allows deletion within that time frame. Its ICAAN policy.

If your registrar of choice doesnt support puny code dont bother...
Speaking from experience.

I don't understand this. Punycode is pure ascii so in theory every registrar supports it. Its like xn--dkd or something. Just now I converted an idn to punycode to do a whois at whois.sc.

My theory is simple if I type an IDN or its punycode I end up at the same site. So if I register the punycode version I should get the IDN right? Consider this wikipedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_names#Example_of_IDNA_encoding

As an example of how IDNA works, suppose the domain to be encoded is Bücher.ch. This has two labels, Bücher and ch. The second label is pure ASCII, and so is left unchanged. The first label is processed by Nameprep to give bücher, and then by Punycode to give bcher-kva, and then has xn-- prepended to give xn--bcher-kva. The final domain suitable for use with the DNS is therefore xn--bcher-kva.ch.

gammascalper
10th September 2006, 05:33 PM
There's a separate registration procedure for IDN. The punycode must be accompanied with the language tag, which determines the type of variant check performed.

Not all registrars are equipped to do this -- yet.

Rubber Duck
10th September 2006, 05:42 PM
There's a separate registration procedure for IDN. The punycode must be accompanied with the language tag, which determines the type of variant check performed.

Yes, I don't think that has always been so, but now no language tag, no domain.

If you are serious most registars will accepted wired funds.

abdussamad
10th September 2006, 05:42 PM
Ok thanks. I'll just have to email my registrar and ask them.

TrafficDomainer
10th September 2006, 10:08 PM

Dotster and Enom allow such deletion for full refund as well. I have also seen new IDN regs at Moniker. They too allow for such deletion.

burnsinternet
11th September 2006, 03:53 AM

The language tag has always been the sticking point, as far as I was told. Plenty of registrars told me they have no plans to adopt IDNs. Poor fools.