PDA

View Full Version : 9•11•01.com

Lmg67
10th September 2006, 10:37 PM
9•11•01.com

xn--91101-jx3bc.com

Looking for offers in the low-mid $xxxx range.

Google: 3,860,000 (with quotes: "9•11•01")

I read in the newspaper yesterday that more than half of all Americans think about 9.11 at least 3 times a week. (myself included)

I believe this will be a very valuable domain when sold down the road to a developer, like maybe NY City or to the Memorial Site or to a 9.11 museum.

domainguru
11th September 2006, 05:16 AM
How is anyone going to type that?

Also, the google search results show up results for 9/11/01, 9-11-01.

As far as I can see, the domain is worthless.

Rubber Duck
11th September 2006, 05:28 AM
I concur.

idn
11th September 2006, 05:41 AM
Yep, worth •

Prodigy
11th September 2006, 10:29 AM
it's bs that you're trying to profit from the name... if it really does belong in a 9/11 museum, go donate it.

jose
11th September 2006, 03:52 PM
I don't know how people type that, but they do!

I really know what I am talking about because I own •.net and I have the clicks to prove it. But I really don't know how they type this. :confused:

It a surprise to me also. Check this Google trends chart:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=%E2%80%A2

...despite searching for "•" on google giving you zero.

Rubber Duck
11th September 2006, 04:01 PM
I don't know how people type that, but they do!

I really know what I am talking about because I own •.net and I have the clicks to prove it. But I really don't know how they type this. :confused:

It a surprise to me also. Check this Google trends chart:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=%E2%80%A2

...despite searching for "•" on google giving you zero.

If it is typed then it must be on a keyboard with those characters. Maybe Japanese. Anyway, it you were going to sell it now was the time. Give it another 5 years and it will be slip from the priorities of all but those directly affected.

rawkinrich
11th September 2006, 04:29 PM
This domain is 100% worthless. Apologies to spoil your thread!

Lmg67
11th September 2006, 09:39 PM
It's a symbol domain. Just like all the other symbol/character domains. Like, "I -heart - USA" something like that.

The idea for the symbol domains is that they will come up in Google searches and people will click on them out of curiosity and if they like the website, they'll put it in "favorites" or "bookmark" it, and they don't have type anything in from their keyboard. Lots of IDNers here own symbol/character domains. I don't know how many own a symbol/character plus a word, but I don't think they are worthless, I bought quite a few. They are extremely unique and will be very eye-catching next to regular domain names. Once people get used to seeing a few domain names that are symbols or with symbols, they will be very valuable because according to Verisign we are no longer allowed to register character/symbols + words, but those that are ALREADY registered are renewable and allowed. So there won't be too many of them out there. They will be "collectibles."

It remains to be seen how the character/symbols -- either alone or with a word -- will do when IE7 becomes the primary world browser, but I have faith that they'll do quite well. Maybe they will be worthless -- I'm betting a lot on the opposite -- and only time will tell.

How I got the domain is I cut and paste the bullet point from a chart of symbols that will be allowed when IE7 comes out. When I cut and paste the whole domain name into Google, I got exactly the results that I originally posted. Basically Google just ignored the bullet points.

Lastly, I don't feel it's wrong to want to sell the domain, I am not going to develop it so I'd rather it end up in someone's hands who is going to do something good with it. I'm just selling one of my domain names and as someone said, this is the right time to do it.

I'm a teacher, I spent all day today talking with my Middle School kids about 9/11 and writing prayers for the surviving families and so on. I was the only teacher in my school K-8 who did something on 9/11 rather than have regular class. I cry everytime I watch something about 9/11, just like most people probably do. It's beyond devestating and I'm as soft-hearted as they get, I can't watch any of the movies or I'll cry all night. I was abroad when it happened and it so shattered me that I flew back to America for several weeks just to be here with my country. I'm not taking a fake piece of concrete and selling it as a piece of the Twin Towers or something like that. I'm taking a domain name that I fully believe has tremendous value and offering it for sale for much less than I believe it's worth (or WILL be worth).

I've said a lot, I don't have anything else to add now or in the future. I thought about just letting all the comments go without anything from me, but I don't believe in judging someone or their motives when you have no idea who that person is. And it bothers me to be so completely mis-characterized. So I felt obligated to stand up for myself and explain a bit. Hope it helped clear up some general misconceptions and/or questions even if you don't agree with me on the value of the name.

thefabfive
11th September 2006, 09:47 PM
The problem I see is that there are already variations of this domain in use:

9-11-01.com
09-11-01.com
09-11-2001.com

etc... which are very easy to type in.

Another problem is that it's not unique. How about

09•11•01.com
9•11•2001.com

or any of the other variations. For these reasons I agree with the others that this domain is not worth very much.