PDA

View Full Version : IND .jp registratrion 1, 2 or 5 years?

donwebcorleone
31st January 2006, 10:25 AM
hi!

im buying my jp IDNs for a 2 years period, what about you guys? in the case of my 2000 .com all of them i decided to register them for 5 years to avoid paying every single year. I hate the idea to be paying thousands of dollars every year in renewal fee for .com

You guys are just registering your IDN for 1 year to see how things go? IDN is such a new thing, that i dont see the point to register them for one year, January 2007 will be too early to decide which japanese IDNs are really good or bad. I dont expect the 100% japanese population having IE7 in one year, not even 30% i think will have IE7 by Xmas.

anyway i think 2 years from now will be a safe period to judge the performance of the IDNs Im buying. i only registered 10 IDNs for 5 years because i think they are gems that i wouldnt sell very easy. Everyone is going for one year? i guess there are gonna be many bad IDNs available again in one year....;D

Olney
31st January 2006, 12:30 PM
It's a good idea if you know what has value in your portfolio.

I think at least 10 or so will be a few year registration for me...

Rubber Duck
31st January 2006, 12:50 PM
A lot depends on your strategy, if you are predominant looking to invest in new registrations and are looking to Maximize your market leverage then you will buy only for a single year. Image your budget is $1,000. If you buy 1 year a $8 then you get 125 domains. If you buy two years at $15 then you will get on 66.

On the assumption that those domains that are being registered now are going to be the most valuable and not available as New Regs in a years time, then it would seem to make sense to buy as many as possible. It all a question of how hard you work your money. If you hand it over to the Registrar then they will certainly work your money, but you will get no benefit!

If alternatively you are picking up Ultra Generics or City Names in the secondary market for $x,xxx then this will have little or no impact on the your leverage or the number of domains you are able to buy.

It also depends a lot on whether you see there being any movement in the market over the next 12 months. I have seen the market transform beyond all recognition in the last two weeks, so I would strongly suggest that there might be further progress within 12 months.

At the end of the day, this is about making the most money in the shortest period of time. As a famous stock speculator once said, "A long-term investment is a short-term investment that didn't work out!"

Best Regards
Dave

bwhhisc
31st January 2006, 12:58 PM
I think the smart way to go is one year on domains you plan to sell, and maybe longer on those you plan to develop into websites.

Then, you have two strategies (1) Hope you can park them and at least earn reg fee to pay for the next years reg fee. (2) Selling enough names to pay the next years reg fees. Of course, you need to have $$$ to back up Year 2 registration in case #1 and #2 don't work out!

touchring
31st January 2006, 01:19 PM
Depends on the type of name, for the likes of jobplacement, translation, buildings, mortgage, refinancing, i might register for 2 years, but definitely not for carrots, tomatoes, fish, table, spoon, types of domains.

IDNCowboy
31st January 2006, 02:39 PM
Depends on the type of name, for the likes of jobplacement, translation, buildings, mortgage, refinancing, i might register for 2 years, but definitely not for carrots, tomatoes, fish, table, spoon, types of domains.
Hey! what about my dolphin domain? :-)

yummy sauteed gourmet dolphin ecommerce shop!

donwebcorleone
31st January 2006, 03:25 PM
well it seems is a matter of budget more than anything else. but i dont lie my saving accounts is going to hell! i have spent so much in 3 days that i cant barely believe, and the worse is that i know i wont stop until my account reach 0 yen, but well for my good luck, i already started the contact with some stores to sell them some IDNs and they showed interest in buying them. that means more money into more IDNs...i really hope to get 1500 IDNs, who knows...:)