PDA

View Full Version : IE7 beta 2 has just gone public...

Edwin
31st January 2006, 08:59 PM
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx

gammascalper
31st January 2006, 09:02 PM
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx

AWESOME! Downloading now.

gammascalper
31st January 2006, 09:12 PM
DOH - I'm running 2000. Darn it.

touchring
31st January 2006, 09:15 PM
DOH - I'm running 2000. Darn it.

Haha, same problem as me. I'm a Win2k diehard - still using my 6-year old P3. ;-)

gammascalper
31st January 2006, 09:21 PM
We'll have to live through the screenshots of others :-)

Edwin
31st January 2006, 09:23 PM
I'm especially interested in hearing what happens if you visit an IDN of the same language as your OS. Does it still pop up a warning, or do you sail right through...?

gammascalper
31st January 2006, 09:35 PM
I'm especially interested in hearing what happens if you visit an IDN of the same language as your OS. Does it still pop up a warning, or do you sail right through...?

I just heard that it is clear sailing and the URL is displayed in unicode. Nice.

sarcle
31st January 2006, 09:40 PM

Nope you sail right through. It shows the domain in full unicode, no warning no nothing. All of my idns just jumped in price!

The really did well on this. It's clear, easy to use. Although will take some getting used to as it's so different than all the other browsers.

But be prepared guys. This IS what we have been waiting for.

touchring
31st January 2006, 09:41 PM
I just heard that it is clear sailing and the URL is displayed in unicode. Nice.

Does the language code used when the domain was registered affect this?

sarcle
31st January 2006, 09:43 PM
Does the language code used when the domain was registered affect this?

I don't know. Send me a domain that you messed up on the right language code and I will check it.

Olney
31st January 2006, 10:34 PM
This is big news
I just got a PC laptop will be testing it on it.

& I added it to the blog...
Thanks guys

Rubber Duck
31st January 2006, 10:44 PM
Stuff the Technical stuff. I need a drink!

Dave

Rubber Duck
31st January 2006, 11:33 PM
Interestingly enough I sold Landgrab.net today.

I can't help wondering whether the buyer is an IDNer with a plan or just another no hoper!

Dave

Dillpupp
1st February 2006, 12:00 AM
Just downloaded it...I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong,but I can't get any of my IDN's to work.I try accessing ₩.com and it just rapidly clicks as though I were hitting Return very fast and it takes me nowhere.
I tried adding languages too...does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

sarcle
1st February 2006, 12:08 AM
Just downloaded it...I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong,but I can't get any of my IDN's to work.I try accessing ₩.com and it just rapidly clicks as though I were hitting Return very fast and it takes me nowhere.
I tried adding languages too...does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

₩.com Works fine for me in IE7. No punycode or anything. Works like it should.

Dillpupp
1st February 2006, 12:11 AM
₩.com Works fine for me in IE7. No punycode or anything. Works like it should.

Bizzare...some setting must be off or wrong on mine....I can't even enter an IDN via "xn--"...xn--izg.com gives me the same rapid clicking result..

Rubber Duck
1st February 2006, 12:19 AM
Bizzare...some setting must be off or wrong on mine....I can't even enter an IDN via "xn--"...xn--izg.com gives me the same rapid clicking result..

Well, thats what a Beta is for! Its something for the Developers to suck on, whilst they try and figure out how to get the bloody thing to work!

Dave

Dillpupp
1st February 2006, 12:28 AM
Well, thats what a Beta is for! Its something for the Developers to suck on, whilst they try and figure out how to get the bloody thing to work!

Dave

True.I just fired off an email to IETell@microsoft.com about the issue.Weird that it works just great for everyone else though.Now I'm bummed..

Rubber Duck
1st February 2006, 12:34 AM
True.I just fired off an email to IETell@microsoft.com about the issue.Weird that it works just great for everyone else though.Now I'm bummed..

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I am on Firefox 1.07. I am hugely delighted that IE 7.0 has finally gone NATIVE, so the my already enourmous hypothetical fortune is even theoretically larger than it was yesterday. However, in terms of my own browser requirements, I intend to do absolutely nothing. If Sarcle says the bloody thing works, thats good enough for me!

Dave

bwhhisc
1st February 2006, 12:40 AM
We got it going, now just need some "live" sites not parking pages. We put the name in the Search Bar: извращенец.com, and then the punycode appears in the URL and points to site (or so far just to parking sites).

I think its working...can someone give us some live IDN sites to test. Nothing boring...if you know what I mean. LOL We're testing here!

sarcle
1st February 2006, 12:42 AM
We got it going, now just need some "live" sites not parking pages. We put the name in the Search Bar: извращенец.com, and then the punycode appears in the URL and points to site (or so far just to parking sites).

I think its working...can someone give us some live IDN sites to test. Nothing boring...if you know what I mean. LOL We're testing here!

Well you can test one of mine... You should know what that one is. Let me know. :p

bwhhisc
1st February 2006, 12:47 AM
Oh, yea...how does one forget, off to the garden!

"Your" site is a parking page...or I am doing something wrong.

Rubber Duck
1st February 2006, 12:50 AM
Come on, just give us the local characters. Even in my state, I should be able to guess the extension!

sarcle
1st February 2006, 12:57 AM
Come on, just give us the local characters. Even in my state, I should be able to guess the extension!

www.Küken.com (http://www.küken.com/) Your safe on the first page, but if you have an adversion to adult humor don't click on the chicken. :)

bwhhisc
1st February 2006, 12:58 AM
www.ogurchik.com
Thats cucumber....but don't go there if you are timid.

bwhhisc
1st February 2006, 01:00 AM
www.Küken.com Your safe on the first page, but if you have an adversion to adult humor don't click on the chicken. (QUOTE)

Ok Sarcle- which came first the chicken or the cucumber?

sarcle
1st February 2006, 01:01 AM
Ok Sarcle- which came first the chicken or the cucumber?

The cucumber obviously. :p

bwhhisc
1st February 2006, 01:22 AM
Sarcle- am I right about what we have here in a nutshell..... you "sold" the IDN огурчик.com, which is currently displayed as the translation on the site www.ogurchik.com. However, the Russian IDN and the ascii site (displaying the IDN) are owned by 2 seperate people.

So...this poses the question, does www.ogurchik.com who is currently displaying the Russian translation огурчик.com- need to yield this name, or I guess try and re-purchase it from your buyer? Interesting situation.

Thoughts please......

idnnow
1st February 2006, 01:29 AM
You can try http://北京.cn
A Chinese Government's site

sarcle
1st February 2006, 01:30 AM
Sarcle- am I right about what we have here in a nutshell..... you "sold" the IDN огурчик.com, which is currently displayed as the translation on the site www.ogurchik.com (http://www.ogurchik.com). However, the Russian IDN and the ascii site (displaying the IDN) are owned by 2 seperate people.

So...this poses the question, does www.ogurchik.com (http://www.ogurchik.com) who is currently displaying the Russian translation огурчик.com- need to yield this name, or I guess try and re-purchase it from your buyer? Interesting situation.

Thoughts please......

It's a generic word. Meaning cucumber. It's also sexual slang . He, the latin domain owner does not hold rights to this name just because he has the transliteration.

bwhhisc
1st February 2006, 02:07 AM
I agree 100% with you. Now if the new owner of огурчик.com decides to put up their own website, they may object to www.ogurchik.com displaying the "IDN name" огурчик.com atop theirs.

Or, do IDNers just own the punycode?? Not the word?

IDNCowboy
1st February 2006, 02:21 AM
Just like the ascii they own the word

but in IDN the punycode outputs the actual lettering that you own as the .com or whatever you register....

Clotho
1st February 2006, 02:21 AM

I had the same problem. I got rid of all the add-ons that were running in the background and that fixed it. I suspect it was the old I-Nav plug in that was messing it up. Try removing the I-Nav plug in (if you have it) and see if that fixes it.

bwhhisc
1st February 2006, 02:52 AM
Just like the ascii they own the word

but in IDN the punycode outputs the actual lettering that you own as the .com or whatever you register....

Then as in our "cucumber" example a lot of interntional website owners are in for a "New Years" surprise. Fair to say??

Rubber Duck
4th February 2006, 11:31 AM
I agree 100% with you. Now if the new owner of огурчик.com decides to put up their own website, they may object to www.ogurchik.com displaying the "IDN name" огурчик.com atop theirs.

Or, do IDNers just own the punycode?? Not the word?

Why would you object if they are advertising your URL? Anyone who was going to be offended wouldn't see it in the first place.

Dave

bwhhisc
4th February 2006, 11:46 AM
Why would you object if they are advertising your URL?
Dave

This is certainly true...another example of the glass being half full or half empty! I had not thought about it from this perspective. I suggest a link as well!!

Rubber Duck
4th February 2006, 12:18 PM
This is certainly true...another example of the glass being half full or half empty! I had not thought about it from this perspective. I suggest a link as well!!

What is going on here is that it is being pointed at the existing site that is advertising itself with that URL. This way people will adopt the IDN and the 90% of the traffic will go to the IDN owner, who is of course free to switch to another location at any time! The original site could get sucked dry if they don't acquire the domain and probably don't have a legal leg to stand on!

Dave