PDA

View Full Version : Dictionary words...

IDNCowboy
1st February 2006, 01:00 AM
If one is available in .net only would you grab it or not?

Lets say OVT is 500+ (preferebely 2000+)

gammascalper
1st February 2006, 01:02 AM

In what language?

If it's something like 'turnip', then no in any language.

Rubber Duck
1st February 2006, 01:03 AM

Depends. If it is in a language nobody has ever heard of then probably yes, as all those nobodies aren't your target market anyway!

Dave

IDNCowboy
1st February 2006, 01:04 AM
Depends. If it is in a language nobody has ever heard of then probably yes, as all those nobodies aren't your target market anyway!

Dave
Korean, Chinese or Japanese,

I found one with 6k OVT(Korean) and one with 10k OVT(Korean)

the 10k OVT i'm gonna grab seeing many ppl getting 10k twin words here but 6k?

Found a few Japanese/Chinese ones with 1.5k- 6k too.

gammascalper
1st February 2006, 01:13 AM

I assume you're speaking of US ovt.

Those are pretty high scores. I did a rough comparison when the .cn tool was working. One chinese domain had 2,600 US ovt and 1.5mm .cn ovt.

Dave -- you're still awake?!

IDNCowboy
1st February 2006, 01:24 AM
I assume you're speaking of US ovt.

Those are pretty high scores. I did a rough comparison when the .cn tool was working. One chinese domain had 2,600 US ovt and 1.5mm .cn ovt.

Dave -- you're still awake?!
nope korean, chinese, japanese ovts
mkt=kr mkt=cn mkt=jp

touchring
1st February 2006, 02:44 AM

For Korean, 6-10K is very low. Even my "sound" got 28K KR OVT. How often do people search "sound"? In comparison, the "sound" in japanese only got 6K JP OVT.

My "translation software" got 84K KR OVT. I've got another one, "map", 1.5M KR OVT.

gammascalper
1st February 2006, 02:58 AM
Agreed with touchring.

I thought you were speaking of US ovt!

My rule of thumb for 'good' local .com ovt right now is roughly 20,000 for kr and jp.

If it were a random dictionary domain, then I would not register the .net at those levels. I would register the .net only for something special.

Map is a great domain...

touchring
1st February 2006, 03:19 AM
Agreed with touchring.

My rule of thumb for 'good' local .com ovt right now is roughly 20,000 for kr and jp.

If it were a random dictionary domain, then I would not register the .net at those levels. I would register the .net only for something special.

Map is a great domain...

I only got map.net, not the .com, but it's the correct term and ovt of 1.5M is real.

IDNCowboy
1st February 2006, 03:48 AM
i know its kinda low but i was asking as there are around 3-5 million results in google with the quotes for each term

and i see ppl like edwin regging terms in japanese with 7k + overture regularly

IDNCowboy
1st February 2006, 04:03 AM
i know its kinda low but i was asking as there are around 3-5 million results in google with the quotes for each term

and i see ppl like edwin regging terms in japanese with 7k + overture regularly
The funny thing is i hear from ppl out of this forum is what they really call things in life... They don't even show up on overture and there are millions of results in overture and also in the news.......

overture - very low like 6k-10k

touchring
1st February 2006, 04:07 AM
I register 3K+ for JP also, but only for commercially valuable words like software, property, finance, etc. Stuffs like Firewall.com, Building.com, OfficeBuilding.com, etc are all below 10K.

bwhhisc
1st February 2006, 04:11 AM
In the case of people reg'ing with lower OVT's, I am pretty sure these Overture scores are going to go way up when IE7 gets legs and the "rest of" the computers are factored into the search number statistics. I think this might be some of the thinking here...

gammascalper
1st February 2006, 04:13 AM
There's a difference between the frequency of appearance in SERP and frequency of search.

'Turnip' returns 1.8mm Google results and 3k overture. I'd rather spend the reg fee grabbing prime terms in other untapped markets... there are a few left ;-)

IDNCowboy
1st February 2006, 04:15 AM
There's a difference between the frequency of appearance in SERP and frequency of search.

'Turnip' returns 1.8mm Google results and 3k overture. I'd rather spend the reg fee grabbing prime terms in other untapped markets... there are a few left ;-)
Its amazing, I'm checking the news and the names are regged of popular stuff in japan but believe me the overtures for a few of them are less than 10k!

IDNCowboy
1st February 2006, 05:03 AM
I register 3K+ for JP also, but only for commercially valuable words like software, property, finance, etc. Stuffs like Firewall.com, Building.com, OfficeBuilding.com, etc are all below 10K.
any reason why you're regging 3k+ for japan but not even going near that for korea?

I know the answers to some of this already but I'm just using this to give everyone else a better overall prospective of what to look for

touchring
1st February 2006, 05:08 AM
I spent a few days going thru Edwin's list, which are mostly vertical market stuff, so dug out several small OVT but commercially valuable Japanese domains.

I dun just dig domains for a living, i run a business and websites, so i can only spare 1-2 mths on where i can achieve the highest return given a limited amount of time - cities/prime arabic generics (i've done very well in this area), and now i need to focus on my old projects.

IDNCowboy
1st February 2006, 05:16 AM
I spent a few days going thru Edwin's list, which are mostly vertical market stuff, so dug out several small OVT but commercially valuable Japanese domains.

I dun just dig domains for a living, i run a business and websites, so i can only spare 1-2 mths on where i can achieve the highest return given a limited amount of time - cities/prime arabic generics (i've done very well in this area), and now i need to focus on my old projects.
yea me too i run two very large sites with one being on the news a few times but i might just go back to running sites as IDN is not my field (too many chances of error etc)

IDNCowboy
1st February 2006, 05:38 AM
Agreed with touchring.

Map is a great domain...
reg the .net with 20k+ ovt? or you mean don't reg it for 6k-10k ovt

gammascalper
1st February 2006, 05:42 AM
I would not reg the .net with 20k jp or kr ovt.

I would rather reg a good russian .com with 50k Yandex. They're generating alot of interest right now because of the tangible traffic to the extension.

You've proven yourself to be pretty good in that area...

IDNCowboy
1st February 2006, 05:48 AM
I would not reg the .net with 20k jp or kr ovt.

I would rather reg a good russian .com with 50k Yandex. They're generating alot of interest right now because of the tangible traffic to the extension.

You've proven yourself to be pretty good in that area...
Right ...... but japan vs russia

Japan the population seems to be actually decreasing but the economy seems to be stronger............. while in Russia you hear the economy is going down....
The reason why i'm out of the Russia market is because of all the diff tenses but i might look into it again since u.s. ovt seems to clarify the right answer.

touchring
1st February 2006, 05:54 AM
Right ...... but japan vs russia

Japan the population seems to be actually decreasing but the economy seems to be stronger............. while in Russia you hear the economy is going down....
The reason why i'm out of the Russia market is because of all the diff tenses but i might look into it again since u.s. ovt seems to clarify the right answer.

Well, PPC engine currently does not differentiate Russian traffic from Japanese or the US, but when the time that it does comes, you will see the difference between Japan and Russia. At the moment, the more clicks the better, regardless of where it comes from.

gammascalper
1st February 2006, 06:16 AM
Consider that Russia is natural resource rich and alot of the country is either in north Asia or borders it, that China keeps consuming those resources to build infrastructure, and you can see why I'm bullish on Russia.

In my opinion, Asia will be "it" for the rest of my lifetime and China's economy will lift all boats.

So if I only had $8 and I had to chose from say, 'cellular.com' in Russian and 'milk.net' in Chinese, I would chose the former. Normalizing GDP and applying it to domains at this stage doesn't work.

Check out Edwin's Russian pickups of information.com and animation.com... I also picked up computer science.com by chance the other day -- some poor guy has had the .net since 2001!

Simplisitic analysis? Yeah.

touchring
1st February 2006, 06:22 AM
That's a good argument.

Both Japan and Korea are barren land with respect to mineral resources - no oil, no metals - most mines are depleted with thousands of years of civilization.

Russia had always been a wealthy country in terms of natural resources, since the days of the Tsars, but everyone in Russia is trying to move their assets out of the country. People are running as fast as they can.

Of course, these are only relative comparison, Russia is better than Ukraine, and many other places. And all these might have nothing to do with domain value after all. ;-)