PDA

View Full Version : Domain Parking for International Domains

Olney
12th September 2005, 12:10 AM
There are quite a few things to look at when it comes to parking International Domain names.

Although many US companies say they are Global they are only thinking about the Global English market or Primarily the Global US. This leaves a bit of a gap in services offered by companies for international traffic & especially foreign text. Not French or English but more like Japanese, Russian, Chinese, or Korean.

When it comes to Parking domains the only one so far that I've seen that is converting Punycode is Sedo.
When you park domains it doesn't do you any good at all if you park the domain グラビアアイドル.com (http://www.グラビアアイドル.com) & all you see on the page is the punycode xn--cckag9b4h6bziva.com instead od any reference of グラビアアイドル on the site. Then if your site is only redirected to a parked page this adds for a double whammy because IDNs do have much type in traffic yet but there is a chance to get more traffic if the URL is properly indexed.

Almost all the IDNs that I've seen are not parked anywere at all just placed on some server without a page at all.

If you do park your domain make sure that it accepts non-US traffic because most are only concerned about US traffic. I personally recommend making a 4 page small web site for the site for 5 months until it is fully indexed by Google then park the domain.

Rubber Duck
13th September 2005, 07:41 PM
Yes, this is the biggest problem for IDNers at the moment. We need places to park domains that will enable domains to be pointed at PPC adverts in a linguistically relevant context.

It is bound to happen as ideas that work in the US must ultimately be transferrable to ther markets. The problem is, just how long is going to take to get the infrastructure in place? Baidu.com does have a lot of such relevant advertising for Chinese, but at the moment Sedo only appears to be using Google, which whilst in theory it is set up to receive Adwords in Japanese and Chinese. The reality is that very little is happening as yet.

I think it is likely that a some stage Google will integrate Baidu advertising into its Adwords programme, whether this will happen as a result of a full takeover or as collaborate effort.

Sedo is ahead of the pack, but moving incredibly slowly on this. Afternic efforts are even more pathetic, although it does display both Punycode and Unicode forms.

Most mainsteam speculators will not start taking IDN seriously until they can see a revenue stream. The development of such revenue is critical to the development of the market.

Any serious suggestions on where we all go next on this one would be extremely welcome.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

imported_admin
13th September 2005, 09:35 PM
You know I just went to AfterNic

I thinnk at least it is some progress that they actually list Native IDNs in Unicode
but off course they don't have any category organization
which makes it impossible to see that there is value.

I mean the first 5 or 6 pages at least are symbols that I would assume most English speakers would have no clue on how to type in on a keyboard.

I think we need to ask them to categorize

I'll make another thread so that we can discuss better ways to organize it maybe they'll listen.