PDA

View Full Version : Question about language code...

thefabfive
1st February 2006, 04:06 PM
I've been hearing some things about language code when registering IDNs. Could someone clarify exactly what this means and how you can screw it up?

I register all of my IDNs at Domainsite.com and it seems that they automatically check the language of the IDN. I never set the language on the 'for future checks default my language to:' box - except when it can't recognize the IDN (only happened a couple of times). Am I doing something wrong?

I thought I was past the newbie stage, but I guess not :p .

gammascalper
1st February 2006, 04:22 PM
I've been hearing some things about language code when registering IDNs. Could someone clarify exactly what this means and how you can screw it up?

I register all of my IDNs at Domainsite.com and it seems that they automatically check the language of the IDN. I never set the language on the 'for future checks default my language to:' box - except when it can't recognize the IDN (only happened a couple of times). Am I doing something wrong?

I thought I was past the newbie stage, but I guess not :p .

The short answer is, I don't think you need to worry about it. Language can be determined by unicode range.

I tried searching but I couldn't find the threads where we talked about this at length.

We really need an FAQ sticky.

bwhhisc
1st February 2006, 04:25 PM
Dave Wrixon can give you the whole lowdown on this...don't worry, all your IDN's aren't Afrikaans!!

thefabfive
1st February 2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks for ther reassurance! :)

Yes, a FAQ section would be great. Especially once the members start piling in. We wouldn't want to clog the forum with the same threads every week.

Rubber Duck
1st February 2006, 05:38 PM
Dave Wrixon can give you the whole lowdown on this...don't worry, all your IDN's aren't Afrikaans!!

There is a lot of uncertainty here on where we are up to, but I think things will gradually get sorted out.

Over the last week or so it has been difficult to register at Domainsite unless you select the correct Language. This hasn't been coming across clearly, but you are well advised to try to get the language tag right, otherwise legitimate registrations are being kicked back.

The whole thing is a bit ludicrous, as there is this language tag, which the registrars are being obliged to submit with your registration, which can't be changed and cannot be checked. This was supposed to help implement Languages rules, but the scammer would simply put in the wrong language, unless the system double checks which script the entry is in. If it does that, then really what is the point except to perhaps to direct you to more relavent web content. However, I don't think Search Engines are currently able to determine the language tags of URLs, even if they wanted too.

There was some suggestion that IE 7.0 might be picking up on Language Tags to help decide which IDNs to display, but I am not at all convinced. Frankly, I think there is a lot of confusion amongst most as to the difference between language and script. I think ICANN, the registries, registrars and browser publishers need to sit down and hammer out where they intend to take this and then not only implement it, but clearly communicate with Internet Users in a meaningful way. Until that has happened there seems to be little point worrying about it!.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon