PDA

View Full Version : French (IDN + Trademark)

dabsi
8th October 2006, 06:58 AM
Funny thing is while French webmaster communauty is not aware of the coming 'IDN wave', French lawyers are already active....worldwide.

Some of our competitors have paid for it.

We used icimarques.com to 'clean up' our french portfolio; I'm not talking about méridien or hermès (taking them is a suicide), but about some 'harmeful' names like çaminteresse.com; seemed to be generic but it was not.

Question: is it worth to risk thousands of €/USD for 2 €/USD per day parking 'revenue'?

DABSI

bramiozo
8th October 2006, 10:20 AM
Funny thing is while French webmaster communauty is not aware of the coming 'IDN wave', French lawyers are already active....worldwide.

Some of our competitors have paid for it.

We used icimarques.com to 'clean up' our french portfolio; I'm not talking about méridien or hermès (taking them is a suicide), but about some 'harmeful' names like çaminteresse.com; seemed to be generic but it was not.

Question: is it worth to risk thousands of €/USD for 2 €/USD per day parking 'revenue'?

DABSI

Depends on what you do with the site doesn't it, you see that a lot of that in udrp's.
If you advertise for the same branch as the complainant or not makes a big difference and it also depends on how the content can be classified, is it just for neutral information about that company or is to showcase products of which you make a profit ? I think you get stained a lot less when you simply have a website with information, also, in general filing a udrp is not popular because it stains the company which files it (especially if the website does nothing to harm the interests of the complainant) and because it costs time and money.

I would steer away of the tm .com's in any case, it's hard to argument you have a .com extension just for the information, especially if you can't blame it on ignorance...

dabsi
8th October 2006, 11:46 AM
100% right

Thing is only even Jesus is a trade mark in France...

DABSI