PDA

View Full Version : £.com €.com Support in IE7?

blastfromthepast
15th October 2006, 02:07 AM
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_thread/thread/991c705bb75cbab7/6a241a6ccd015260?lnk=st&q=IDN&rnum=10#6a241a6ccd015260

Did they fix this?

jose
15th October 2006, 06:33 AM
Guess not. I have send emails asking for them to solve this and posted 2 or 4 replies on MSDN ie blog about this. It doesn't makes sense to encode € as "Zyyy" when it's part of all european keyboards.

WHAT MORE CAN WE DO?

Also, I think it's out of their hands. It's an ICANN issue!! We should ask them, not Micro$oft.

Drewbert
16th October 2006, 01:14 AM
This is NOT an ICANN issue. It's a Microsoft issue.

Safari works with £.com no problems.

Rubber Duck
16th October 2006, 10:01 AM

Yes, another example of US-centric navel gazing.

blastfromthepast
16th October 2006, 10:04 AM
A lot of things work in Safari with no problems. Like IDNs for the last few years.

Start a big campaign to have them include £ and € in the English language domain definition.

jose
16th October 2006, 06:13 PM

Microsoft is to blame, you're right, but only on a very small part. See who else is to blame: http://www.unicode.org/consortium/memblogo.html

Drewbert, I KNOW what I am talking about. Safari and Opera have no issues becasue they don't care about the language script encoding. € and £ are on the "Zyyy" (Common)... that's were the problem is. http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.1.0/ucd/Scripts.txt

This was done by Universities on India, Pakistan and EUA. Europe was, as usual on things like this, left behind and thus the problems we're having. Should we contant the European Union?!

blastfromthepast
16th October 2006, 08:12 PM
Jose, I've got a few nice € domains I'd like to see work. If you want to contact anyone, I'd be happy to sign up as well.

jose
16th October 2006, 08:50 PM
Jose, I've got a few nice € domains I'd like to see work. If you want to contact anyone, I'd be happy to sign up as well.

Ok. Thanks. Anyone else wants to join us?

In the meanwhile, I'll try to find out who should we address.

Drewbert
17th October 2006, 04:00 AM
Microsoft is to blame, you're right, but only on a very small part. See who else is to blame: http://www.unicode.org/consortium/memblogo.html

Drewbert, I KNOW what I am talking about. Safari and Opera have no issues becasue they don't care about the language script encoding. € and £ are on the "Zyyy" (Common)... that's were the problem is. http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.1.0/ucd/Scripts.txt

This was done by Universities on India, Pakistan and EUA. Europe was, as usual on things like this, left behind and thus the problems we're having. Should we contant the European Union?!

OK. Gotcha, but then this isn't an ICANN issue, it's a UNICODE CONSORTIUM issue.

GOOD LUCK dealing with those guys - pretty sure they're run like the United Nations. :)

The whole thing is caused by Microsoft blocking multi-script IDN's in an effort to prevent phishing?

Preferably this sort of thing should be done at the registry level, rather than browser level, of course. Which they appears to be doing now, banning new registrations of domains having punctuation and symbols.

blastfromthepast
17th October 2006, 04:14 AM
Who here owns €.com?

jose
17th October 2006, 06:50 AM
Who here owns €.com?

The owner asked me 9k one year ago for it.

touchring
17th October 2006, 06:54 AM
The owner asked me 9k one year ago for it.

If microsoft doesn't support it, it's not going to worth even 1k.

jose
18th October 2006, 06:26 PM
There's hope, after all. From the ie team:

@Jose: It's possible that certain characters will be permitted to mix in a future release of IE. This depends on a variety of factors, including future standards, the phishing environment, and the user-scenarios that such a change would enable

blastfromthepast
18th October 2006, 07:12 PM
There's hope, after all. From the ie team:

@Jose: It's possible that certain characters will be permitted to mix in a future release of IE. This depends on a variety of factors, including future standards, the phishing environment, and the user-scenarios that such a change would enable

A pretty lame response. What does € have to do with phishing?

burnsinternet
31st October 2006, 01:06 AM
I have the same problem with 1¢.com, ♀♀.com, and other zyyy domains. No possible phishing risk here, but no way to see it.

However, my ǃ.com, ɛ.com, ɑ.com, and other funky domains show up OK as LATIN. Strange!

Absalon
31st October 2006, 01:42 AM
Ok. Thanks. Anyone else wants to join us?

In the meanwhile, I'll try to find out who should we address.

I've got a small stake in this as well so I could also send some emails or eqiuvalent measure that you choose.

blastfromthepast
31st October 2006, 03:56 AM
I have the same problem with 1¢.com, ♀♀.com, and other zyyy domains. No possible phishing risk here, but no way to see it.

However, my ǃ.com, ɛ.com, ɑ.com, and other funky domains show up OK as LATIN. Strange!

¿You sure you have !.com and not ¡.com? I'm pleased to say €1000.com is starting to get traffic.

burnsinternet
31st October 2006, 04:15 AM
Yes, xn--ija.com (Unicode 01C3). Latin Letter Retroflex Click. It was one of my sillier registrations in 2005, but it looks exactly like an exclamation point.

Only gets bot traffic, but I have a hard time letting it drop. By the way, China Dior Industrial Co.,Ltd. has the .net but I don't know why.

My symbol domains and pseudo-Latin domains do not seem to be allowed. Not sure why.

touchring
31st October 2006, 05:15 AM

1¢.com worked. I bought a symbol a while ago, thk goodness that worked! Phew.

burnsinternet
31st October 2006, 05:26 AM
1¢.com worked. I bought a symbol a while ago, thk goodness that worked! Phew.

You mean you can see it in IE7? Tell me how! It is zyyy and I cannot see any symbol domains like that. Can you see any € domains?

touchring
31st October 2006, 05:30 AM
You mean you can see it in IE7? Tell me how! It is zyyy and I cannot see any symbol domains like that. Can you see any € domains?

Yes, i just installed IE7 2 days ago, might be a different version, dunno.

How? Just copy the €.com and paste into the browser.

btw, i can also access £.com, but it's redirected to poundsymbol.com - lucky fellow bought it for $1500 in Dec! It must be worth $100k today with IE7. If only i had the opportunity.

¿You sure you have !.com and not ¡.com? I'm pleased to say €1000.com is starting to get traffic.

Yup, i'm getting 1-2 views a day for ¿.com. Some clicks, but very few. :(

jose
31st October 2006, 03:56 PM
Just downloaded and installed ie7:

With Phishing Filter Option: Disabled

€.com shows as xn--lzg.com (punnycode)

With Phishing Filter Option: Turn off automatic website checking

€.com shows as xn--lzg.com (punnycode) AND I get a Phising POP-up alert!!!

With Phishing Filter Option: Turn on automatic website checking

Gosh, didn't even tried that one...

burnsinternet
22nd February 2007, 03:52 AM
Funny, my xn--ija.com (Unicode 01C3) Latin Letter Retroflex Click is now getting traffic from Asia. Now ǃ.com (http://www.ǃ.com) gets several views a day for more than one day. No clicks, though.

touchring
22nd February 2007, 05:49 AM
Speaking about monetization, anyone knows the best keyword or subject for symbols and punctuations? I'm using Science and Nature keyword. My inverted question mark gets hundred plus views a month, but only a few clicks, each about 20 cents a click. :)

Wot
22nd February 2007, 07:57 AM
btw, i can also access £.com, but it's redirected to poundsymbol.com - lucky fellow bought it for $1500 in Dec! It must be worth $100k today with IE7. If only i had the opportunity.

:(

Hopefully added value for my £Sterling.com :)

damitssam
25th March 2007, 09:42 PM
any updates? :confused: :confused:

burnsinternet
30th April 2007, 04:29 AM
Same question a month later. Any updates?

gus
1st May 2007, 02:26 PM
none as far as I know.
anyone?
we may have to wait until Puerto Rico, meanwhile my domain 1€.com is starting to have visitors out of the blue...
:)

Menno
22nd May 2007, 03:08 PM
ding bats used to show up

yeah, me too, does anybody have an idea how to get dingbats in IE7 to work ?

Rubber Duck
22nd May 2007, 03:20 PM
Does anyone read any of the technical stuff?

Symbols are just about dead.

http://icann.org/topics/idn/idn-guidelines-26apr07.pdf

5. Permissible code points will not include:

5.1 geometric and line-drawing symbols such as those in the Unicode Drawing and Box Element blocks.

5.2 symbols and icons that are neither alphanumeric nor ideographic language characters, such as typographic and pictographic dingbats,

5.3 characters will well-established functions as protocol elements,

5.4 punctuation marks used solely to indicate the structure of sentences,

5.5 punctuation marks that are used within words, with the possible exception of those that are not excluded by any of the preceding points, are essential to the language represented by the IDN, and are associated with explicit prescriptive rules about the context in which they may be used.

blackops
22nd May 2007, 03:38 PM
5.2 symbols and icons that are neither alphanumeric nor ideographic language characters, such as typographic and pictographic dingbats,

How interesting... It should be noted however that both £ and € (the subject of this thread) are ideographic language characters and so by ICANN's own definition are permissible.

touchring
22nd May 2007, 03:47 PM
Are they going to disallow registrations? How about those already registered?

burnsinternet
22nd May 2007, 07:29 PM
I asked Verisign: "I wonder if you could help dispel a rumor. It is said that some 'symbol' domains (e.g. ¥, ¢, £, ?) will be deleted from the registry. I believe that this is a proposal, not a plan. Do you know the answer?"

Today, I was told, "I checked with various folks here and no one has heard anything that would indicate we have any plans to do as you suggest."

touchring
22nd May 2007, 07:35 PM
I asked Verisign: "I wonder if you could help dispel a rumor. It is said that some 'symbol' domains (e.g. ¥, ¢, £, ?) will be deleted from the registry. I believe that this is a proposal, not a plan. Do you know the answer?"

Today, I was told, "I checked with various folks here and no one has heard anything that would indicate we have any plans to do as you suggest."

My guess is that they will ask registrars to stop registering symbols domains, but existing domains will continue until they are dropped.

burnsinternet
22nd May 2007, 08:07 PM
More from Verisign:

Actually that Internet-Draft, draft-iab-idn-nextsteps-06.txt, was published as a Standard, RFC 4690 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4690.txt (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4690.txt)), on 2006-9-30 and the specific reference is 5.1.1. Note however the operative phrase is "...should be..."

As this is a recommendation as I mentioned to you no one I have spoken with has heard anything that would indicate we have any plans to make any changes to our current practices.

And **if** something was to change it would require ICANN approval and announcement first.

Rubber Duck
22nd May 2007, 08:41 PM
Precisely, this needs to be voted on before it becomes policy and may be revised depending on the feedback they receive. Still five to midnight by my watch.

More from Verisign:

Actually that Internet-Draft, draft-iab-idn-nextsteps-06.txt, was published as a Standard, RFC 4690 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4690.txt (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4690.txt)), on 2006-9-30 and the specific reference is 5.1.1. Note however the operative phrase is "...should be..."

As this is a recommendation as I mentioned to you no one I have spoken with has heard anything that would indicate we have any plans to make any changes to our current practices.

And **if** something was to change it would require ICANN approval and announcement first.

mulligan
22nd May 2007, 09:06 PM
Well at the speed ICANT move I wouldn't hold my breath

Rubber Duck
22nd May 2007, 10:38 PM
Well at the speed ICANT move I wouldn't hold my breath

I think this one will be voted on in Puerto Rico in just a few weeks time.

gus
6th July 2007, 04:33 PM
I think this one will be voted on in Puerto Rico in just a few weeks time.
any news?

Rubber Duck
6th July 2007, 05:32 PM
any news?

I saw nothing specific on this. I think you can assume that Symbols in general are on the way out, but I still would not like to comment specifically on these two.

gus
9th July 2007, 06:32 PM
you are right rubber duck, I couldn't find anything on the San Juan's web site neither.
I guess we'll have to continue waiting...

spacey
7th February 2010, 04:48 AM
what happened with all this .......were they banned ??

blastfromthepast
7th February 2010, 07:10 AM
Defined out of existence in the standard specification that converts unicode to punycode, which now does a lookup of a table of allowed characters. Note that most browsers still use the old conversion standard.

Clotho
7th February 2010, 08:24 AM
Defined out of existence in the standard specification that converts unicode to punycode, which now does a lookup of a table of allowed characters. Note that most browsers still use the old conversion standard.

That pretty much sums it up, although I would choose 'defined out of any resemblance of functionality.' instead of, 'out of existence'. I'm pretty sure the ones that currently exist will have the opportunity to continue to exist, albeit bereft of any concrete purpose or function.

Symbol domains are destined to be the evolutionary castoffs and dead ends of the Internet. Just like your own physiology still displays remnants of its long forgotten past in the form of your tail-bone, appendix, tonsils, etc, these symbol domains will someday only exist in whois form only.

Please understand that I am not just a naysayer. I happen to own an example of these symbol domains. In fact I possess one that is even particularly unique among symbol domains because it can actually be typed in some cultures. I have in my collection ₤.com which means Lira. This symbol was once the symbol for currency for many countries. It has since largely been replaced by the € but it is still used in Turkey. Indeed Turkish keyboards have a key for ₤ just like our keyboards have an $.

I am reconciled to the fact that someday this domain will cease to function and will never resolve again. It will only continue to exist as an entry in the whois as long as the yearly fee continues to be paid.

To that end you might ask, Why continue to renew it? If it has no function why allow it to exist?

The only answer to that is rarity and the collectible aspect that accompanies the same.

Consider Symbolics.com for example. The first domain ever registered. even it has a collectible component: Symbolics (http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2009/dailyposts/20090826.htm)
Somebody searched it out and obtained it simply because they felt it had some rare historic significance.

Just like ancient coins that cannot be traded directly for a loaf of bread anywhere on the planet for lack of a country to trade it in...

These symbol domains are destined to be curiosities, and perhaps badges of honor for the most dedicated domainers.

Rubber Duck
7th February 2010, 09:16 AM
ICANN not only controls the Root but also the gTLD registries and the registrars. They are going into every aspect of IDN. I am sure they will not overlook the need to ban symbol domains. I don't believe it is just the functionality that you will lose. But you will almost certainly be compensated by a free registration. So they are worth reg fee.

That pretty much sums it up, although I would choose 'defined out of any resemblance of functionality.' instead of, 'out of existence'. I'm pretty sure the ones that currently exist will have the opportunity to continue to exist, albeit bereft of any concrete purpose or function.

Symbol domains are destined to be the evolutionary castoffs and dead ends of the Internet. Just like your own physiology still displays remnants of its long forgotten past in the form of your tail-bone, appendix, tonsils, etc, these symbol domains will someday only exist in whois form only.

Please understand that I am not just a naysayer. I happen to own an example of these symbol domains. In fact I possess one that is even particularly unique among symbol domains because it can actually be typed in some cultures. I have in my collection ₤.com which means Lira. This symbol was once the symbol for currency for many countries. It has since largely been replaced by the € but it is still used in Turkey. Indeed Turkish keyboards have a key for ₤ just like our keyboards have an $.

I am reconciled to the fact that someday this domain will cease to function and will never resolve again. It will only continue to exist as an entry in the whois as long as the yearly fee continues to be paid.

To that end you might ask, Why continue to renew it? If it has no function why allow it to exist?

The only answer to that is rarity and the collectible aspect that accompanies the same.

Consider Symbolics.com for example. The first domain ever registered. even it has a collectible component: Symbolics (http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2009/dailyposts/20090826.htm)
Somebody searched it out and obtained it simply because they felt it had some rare historic significance.

Just like ancient coins that cannot be traded directly for a loaf of bread anywhere on the planet for lack of a country to trade it in...

These symbol domains are destined to be curiosities, and perhaps badges of honor for the most dedicated domainers.

10th March 2011, 03:15 PM
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/28734-the-inevitable-has-become-reality-bye-bye-symbol-domains.html
Does anyone read any of the technical stuff?

Symbols are just about dead.

http://icann.org/topics/idn/idn-guidelines-26apr07.pdf

5. Permissible code points will not include:

5.1 geometric and line-drawing symbols such as those in the Unicode Drawing and Box Element blocks.

5.3 characters will well-established functions as protocol elements,

5.4 punctuation marks used solely to indicate the structure of sentences,

5.5 punctuation marks that are used within words, with the possible exception of those that are not excluded by any of the preceding points, are essential to the language represented by the IDN, and are associated with explicit prescriptive rules about the context in which they may be used.

damitssam
3rd July 2012, 07:10 AM
BUMP. I still own the euro sign .cc ... i hear it still WORKS on browsers when you type it in. I can understand when most of these symbols aren't a direct type in... but the euro symbol is on almost every european keyboard... if a domain is grandfathered in, will it just continue to sit there?

Drewbert
3rd July 2012, 07:16 AM
There IS NO grandfathers between IDNF2003 and IDNA2008

If it's working at the moment it's because someone is using a browser/platform that isn't IDNA2008 compliant.