PDA

View Full Version : IE 7 will not be enough

Olney
12th October 2005, 01:19 AM
Unfortunately for the Asian market especially just changing Internet Explorer 7 is not enough. I realized when I came back over here that cell phones have to be upgraded also. Since I understand the business mentally of the communications companies as IDN become more popular old cell phone will most likely not be upgradable this would force users to purchase new phones.

I still have to check with the cell phone makers here but I'm not positive if they already have the ability to type in Katakana, Hiragana, or Kanji domain names. Current older phones that I've seen only gives you the option of typing in Romaji (Romain based alphabets & numbers). While viewing Yahoo Auction Japan some sellers post that the keitai (cell phone) makers are upgrading the phones.

The other thing that will have to be changed is email clients. I have to check it out a bit more thoroughly but I can't imagine my current email client correctly parsing punycode in the domain name.

But as noted the main things will be IE & Cell phones because I believe personal browsing on cell phones is more common than users going home & surfing the net.

We'll see how it goes.

Rubber Duck
12th October 2005, 06:14 AM
Don't think the phone thing is a major issue.

Accessing the internet by phone hasn't really taken off yet, from what I can tell, but I do know the Japanese have been working on this for years. Will try to dig out some refereences.

As far as I know Outlook with Verisign Plug in and Thunderbird will handle email with plug in. There are no plans to get a stand alone version of Outlook express to support email, as far as I am aware.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Olney
12th October 2005, 06:39 AM
Actually that's not true many young people in Japan only know how to use the internet from their cell phones.

It's a really long complicated story on why but it's true.
You only know that by being here though.

Rubber Duck
12th October 2005, 06:52 AM
Try this link, see if you can make any sense of it:

www.iak.ne.kr/nativename/2004.2.23/jprs.ppt

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:ZqyDlVMfjtcJ:www.wwtld.org/meetings/cctld/20040302.Rome-JP-HiroHotta.ppt+IDN+domains+Mobile+Phone&hl=en

Second link is for HTML if as I don't you haven't got Power Point installed.

Same again from ICANN, this time for Acrobat Reader:

http://www.icann.org/presentations/hotta-idn-kl-21jul04.pdf

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

bramiozo
15th October 2005, 12:40 PM
IDN

1,000-5,000 resolutions/day

Seems not to be a real usage

just experiencing

Google

May have several million Japanese string queries

Over 200million worldwide queries/day
----------

That sort of sums up one of the discussions earlier ;) .

gammascalper
15th October 2005, 03:57 PM
IDN

1,000-5,000 resolutions/day

Interesting. Where did you get this information?

Cell phone browsing may be extremely popular in Japan, but it isn't in China. We'll see what IE7 does for the Chinese IDNs.

bramiozo
16th October 2005, 10:56 PM
I followed this link : www.iak.ne.kr/nativename/2004.2.23/jprs.ppt

gammascalper
16th October 2005, 11:53 PM
I followed this link : www.iak.ne.kr/nativename/2004.2.23/jprs.ppt

That preso is quite out of date - in fact almost 2 years old!

They even refer to Realnames (R.I.P. ;-p)

bramiozo
19th October 2005, 08:32 AM
::)