PDA

View Full Version : IE 7.0 Feedback

Rubber Duck
2nd February 2006, 10:19 AM
Seems to be very little Feedback since the launch from those that have downloaded. This suggest two possible scenarios.

A ) All you IDNers are so impressed you are out there hoovering up everything in sight, and are all too busy to report back!

B ) It is an absolute disaster and none of you can get online to bemoan the serious problems you have encountered.

Answers on a postcard?

Dave

bwhhisc
2nd February 2006, 11:11 AM
I am so far pretty impressed with IE 7. I wasn't expecting the changes to the interface, but it didn't take long to get used to them, and they really make computing easier, especially if you jump between sites.

It took just a few minutes to tool bars and preferences set up, but overall I think Microsoft has got it right. Having the searchbars and "recent page" options on the top is the next best thing to having 2 monitors! Plus, it does IDN'S...(but you knew that one already- heh-heh!)

Clotho
2nd February 2006, 04:31 PM
Other than the initial glitch with the I-Nav plug in I have only had one crash. It seems to be working rather well. One thing that confuses me however is that when I type in an IDN in the address bar without the extension I end up getting a Google page with that term as a search key. Is this some Google add-on that I still have lurking in there someplace? I would think that if Microsoft were going to implement something like this it would at least go to an MSN search page.

sarcle
2nd February 2006, 04:34 PM
Other than the initial glitch with the I-Nav plug in I have only had one crash. It seems to be working rather well. One thing that confuses me however is that when I type in an IDN in the address bar without the extension I end up getting a Google page with that term as a search key. Is this some Google add-on that I still have lurking in there someplace? I would think that if Microsoft were going to implement something like this it would at least go to an MSN search page.

It goes to which ever search engine you have set as default. Change your default search provider and you will see.

rhys
2nd February 2006, 05:50 PM
Seems to be very little Feedback since the launch from those that have downloaded.

Answers on a postcard?

Dave

[Imagine picture postcard of Seattle Space Needle in thunderstorm]

Dear Dave,

I hope you enjoy this postcard from Seattle where my IE7 beta 2 browser seems to be humming right along. The days are rainy and the nights are, well, rainy. Wish you were here. If I give MSFT any feedback it is that they need to create an interface for users to put in MULTIPLE keyboard shortcuts for various domain extensions (so users can easily add ".com" or ".jp" to the end).

Rhys

Olney
6th February 2006, 01:41 PM
I tried it I can't get Japanese IDN domains to show up on my new PC laptop.
I thought I could downgrade back to the other IE but it wouldn't let me.
From the Beta I can't access Microsoft's site.

touchring
6th February 2006, 02:45 PM
This verisign plugin conflict is surely a serious bug, IE should deactivate that plugin since IE7 already supports IDN. There might be other plugins that may cause conflict, including the china nic idn plugin.

Can anyone with contact with the Microsoft IDN developer please help direct him to this website?

Launching an IE7 that does buggy support of IDNs will be worst for IDNs than not launching IE7 at all.

idnnow
6th February 2006, 11:26 PM
I tried it I can't get Japanese IDN domains to show up on my new PC laptop.
I thought I could downgrade back to the other IE but it wouldn't let me.
From the Beta I can't access Microsoft's site.

I am not sure if this is the problem, but I have seen it many times.

When I install a new English Windows, during the installation, there is one screen show up asking if I want to install other language support softwares. If I install all the language support right here, then the multilingual characters show up properly. If I wait and install language support softwares after Windows is install, I always have problem seeing the multilingual characters properly.

You may want to try to re-install Windows, but make sure you have all the drivers for your laptop and you know how to install them.

OldIDNer
6th March 2006, 05:31 AM
I'm using IE7 now and it seems to do what FF does and only resolves the unicode into punycode, instead of staying unicode, at least with Portuguese. So far I like the browser. It comes with a cleartype font installed as the default which I didn't like and changed via tools/advanced/uncheck use cleartype.

It has a search engine field in the top right and is set to default to Google. The browser is very fast.

You have to define your langauge and then it will resolve IDNs in unicode. Other wise it resolves the unicode into punycode. It's a good browser imo. A little weird because it has a major design change but its pretty intuitive. Tabbed browsing is very quick. It's nice imo.

I wrote a little thing on it on my blog.

gkrall
10th March 2006, 12:05 AM
Hi All:

I am the technical director for the i-Nav plug-in here at Verisign and the initial discussion about i-Nav and IE7 incompatibilities are quite correct.

Both MSFT and we are aware of the incompatible nature of the software at this time. But as you know this is a developer release and it is intended to specifically identify issues such as this. At the time that the software is released for public beta I believe we will have sorted this out together so that this will not longer be an issue.

With that said, as you may know in additon to supporting IE i-Nav also includes components for Outlook and OE which are still required. So if there are IE7 beta users who wish to keep those plug-ins active then for the time being then can unregister the i-Nav dll:

1) Close IE
2) Go to the Start Menu
2) Select run
3) In the text edit which says Open type: regsvr /u “C:\Program Files\VeriSign\i-Nav\i-nav_4_2_1.dll”
4) A dialog box will be presented letting you know that the DLL has been unregistered from Windows.

What this does is to unregister the plug-in to IE from Windows so this function will not be called when they open the browser. It does not remove i-Nav off their system and they’ll be able to use the plug-ins for email.

If there are specific questions about this please feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks,

Gary.

hanidn
10th March 2006, 12:31 AM
[Imagine picture postcard of Seattle Space Needle in thunderstorm]

Dear Dave,

I hope you enjoy this postcard from Seattle where my IE7 beta 2 browser seems to be humming right along. The days are rainy and the nights are, well, rainy. Wish you were here. If I give MSFT any feedback it is that they need to create an interface for users to put in MULTIPLE keyboard shortcuts for various domain extensions (so users can easily add ".com" or ".jp" to the end).

Rhys

furthermore I hardly wish :

I type a "keyword" without any extension in the address box, IE7 adds the most number registered ".com" ext. automatically like Opera.com browser 8.0 does do now....

This could be solve the chinese gov.'s the silly new intranet TLDs problems too.

touchring
10th March 2006, 12:59 AM

I type a "keyword" without any extension in the address box, IE7 adds the most number registered ".com" ext. automatically like Opera.com browser 8.0 does do now....

Do you mean if you type "hello" and click enter, it adds ".com"?

hanidn
10th March 2006, 01:09 AM
Do you mean if you type "hello" and click enter, it adds ".com"?

Yes... If you type "hello" and click enter, the opera browser adds "http://www." and ".com" like "http://www.hello.com/" and send the well done URL query to internet...

As I edited my last reply, this could be a very nice solution for the chinese new their intranet IDN_TLD problem....

touchring
10th March 2006, 01:23 AM
Yes... If you type "hello" and click enter, the opera browser adds .com like "http://www.hello.com/" and send the well done URL query to internet...

As I edited my last reply, this could be a very nice solution for the chinese new TLD problem....

Yes, this will be good for idns. Would increase the type-in numbers.

There's no new chinese new tld problem, it doesn't really directly compete with .com. It's the equivalent of .회사, whereas .com is just .컴. If you know what i mean.

hanidn
10th March 2006, 02:14 AM
There's no new chinese new tld problem, it doesn't really directly compete with .com. It's the equivalent of .회사, whereas .com is just .컴. If you know what i mean.

I understand what you think about the Chinese new TLDs.

I believe “without .com typing” gives a lot of advantages over the any local gov.’s created typing IDN TLDs whichever they made and tried..…

This means any local gov. could make a new IDN TLDs as much but not compatible with .com or .com’s new dname(this will offset if verisign mistakenly decides any looking bad IDN dname TLDs).

sorry that i do not have english tutor at home... :-)

rhys
10th March 2006, 04:48 AM

This could be solve the chinese gov.'s the silly new intranet TLDs problems too.

That would be nice for owners of .com domains not so nice for those heavily invested in ccTLDs.

But it doesn't matter anyway because it will never happen. Microsoft hijacks such "type-in" searches to its own search engine today and finds it very lucrative to keep doing so. Keep dreaming!

touchring
10th March 2006, 04:54 AM
That would be nice for owners of .com domains not so nice for those heavily invested in ccTLDs.

But it doesn't matter anyway because it will never happen. Microsoft hijacks such "type-in" searches to its own search engine today and finds it very lucrative to keep doing so. Keep dreaming!

But HanIDN just said it is automatically directed to the website with .com? I know firefox directs it to Google - must be some sort of arrangement between both of them. Anyway, most people dislike the page not found msn.com search engine, so by doing that, microsoft will only boost firefox.

Drewbert
10th March 2006, 05:38 PM
I think you'll find IE's configurable as to what it does with a plain keyword in the address bar.

Safari adds .com

Only problem is, if you put 2 keywords in with a space between them, it URL encodes the space and adds .com which turns it into an illegal domain name. Pretty dumbarse.

OldIDNer
10th March 2006, 05:41 PM
I think you'll find IE's configurable as to what it does with a plain keyword in the address bar.

That's correct.

There are probably a few ways to do it but one way to configure the default page not found landing page, and default search engine, in IE7, is to click the downward arrow on the right of the search field and choose the default SE you want.

When I downloaded mine, it kept my old google setting and was showing google as my default landing page and SE.

blastfromthepast
21st March 2007, 01:03 AM
How is the work on the redirect to .com plugin comming along?