PDA

View Full Version : Who's ALL IN ?

thegenius1
2nd February 2006, 10:27 AM
Just wondering who is "ALL IN" with these IDN"S... Who is betting everything... PLease leave examples of how much you are Investing and how far you are going to get the money.... Im thinking about getting lots of credit cards and just selling everything around the house i dont use on ebay or someting, Might even sell a car i dont drive..... I have 99.9% percent belief in this but im just looking for some more encouragment to Go " ALL IN", Are we All Sitting with Pocket Aces or KIngs ? as far as the industry of idn's go....:cool:

Rubber Duck
2nd February 2006, 10:32 AM
Just wondering who is "ALL IN" with these IDN"S... Who is betting everything... PLease leave examples of how much you are Investing and how far you are going to get the money.... Im thinking about getting lots of credit cards and just selling everything around the house i dont use on ebay or someting, Might even sell a car i dont drive..... I have 99.9% percent belief in this but im just looking for some more encouragment to Go " ALL IN", Are we All Sitting with Pocket Aces or KIngs ? as far as the industry of idn's go....:cool:

I am ALL IN. I am so far out on limb, I am even having to sell IDNs!!!

Dave

bwhhisc
2nd February 2006, 10:54 AM

My recommendation would be to find an Investor, and explain to them about IDNs, and see if they will do it for a (fair) share of the profits and % of return on thier money. You can secure their investment with the IDN's, with pretty good certainty that good ones won't be worth less than reg fee at any point.

If you get credit cards at probably 12-18% interest that will add up fast. Unless you have a good salary, and can pay all your bills, (and have a plan for unexpected expenses), and money left over to pay principle and interest on credit cards, then maybe the "investor" is better for you.

Only 10% of the IDNs (like TDL's) will reach superstar status, and a good many of these are taken. Good luck, your enthusiam is energizing to all! Regards, Bill

Rubber Duck
2nd February 2006, 11:09 AM
My recommendation would be to find an Investor, and explain to them about IDNs, and see if they will do it for a (fair) share of the profits and % of return on thier money. You can secure their investment with the IDN's, with pretty good certainty that good ones won't be worth less than reg fee at any point.

If you get credit cards at probably 12-18% interest that will add up fast. Unless you have a good salary, and can pay all your bills, (and have a plan for unexpected expenses), and money left over to pay principle and interest on credit cards, then maybe the "investor" is better for you.

Only 10% of the IDNs (like TDL's) will reach superstar status, and a good many of these are taken. Good luck, your enthusiam is energizing to all! Regards, Bill

Obviously, you need to be able to meet future commitments including the repayment on credit cards.

Typical returns on domains I have sold are around 10,000%, so it makes more sense to finance it yourself on borrowings, but only if you are absolutely convinced in your investment and can manage the repayments

I personally don't see Japanese and Chinese IDN being much of a risk in principle. Others such at Hindi and Tamil are more speculative. BUT, it still depends on what you buy.

As with traditional dot coms, most of the millioins of domains that are eventually registered will not have a good retail value and possibly won't be able to sold at all. Having said that there will be about 1M or so IDN in each Asian Llanguage, where they are adopted in large numbers that are worth significantly more than reg fee.

Quality is the Key!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Olney
2nd February 2006, 12:53 PM
I'm all in but I just don't want to register everything under the sun.
I like themes.

I just registered about 30 dot jps with a pretty solid sellable theme
With about 15 dot coms to match

I was surprised I was able to find more jps in this area.

Anyway that brings me to about 100 IDN domains total

Most I would consider very sellable, actually very extremely sellable for Japanese.
about 40 dot jps
about 60 dot coms

I'll post them for appraisal after I start showing up in the Japan whois (just want to be 100% sure these babies are mine). This time I bought the whole theme...

2nd February 2006, 03:51 PM
Hi All,

The way that i see it is, reg as many valuable names you can and like said before that you can afford, any day each and every one you register (assuming that valuable domain in your eyes will be considered a valuable domain in most peoples eyes) is worth my pessimistic est. 4-5 times the reg fee, in other words its money in the bank and wont lose...2things may happen...it will be a nothing special type of thing and we all have to foreclose on our imaginary Ferrari's or will be the "next big thing" and you may then go ahead to your closest dealer.

in any event...view other means of income...don't put all the eggs in 1basket..as good as the basket looks.

i personally don't wanna sell any..my best view of it is being able to lease them as i do view each domain as real estate..some in Beverly hills...some in Georgia (with no offense to the peach state).
just another thought is if not lease them...if traffic will be there..just integrate i.e adwords and generate money off of the clicks (not too much money today as i parked 100 yesterday and got a total of 84 views) so you cant buy too much with 13cents...but seriously...were going somewhere good...maybe unbelievably good..keep in mind its just good so you wont be disappointed and prepared for it in the event of

I will greatly appreciate anyones thought on where its going..but not based on dreams..more reality of how the idn's are going to be worldwide marketed etc

Regards,
Michael

bwhhisc
2nd February 2006, 04:09 PM
Typical returns on domains I have sold are around 10,000%, so it makes more sense to finance it yourself on borrowings, but only if you are absolutely convinced in your investment and can manage the repayments

So who cares if you give an investor a 100% return on his money. At best a conservative investor will make 4% at a bank on CD's and and 10%, maybe 20% in the stock market. If and IDN deal gets you substantial capitol, with no risk to you or the investor, it is worth the consideration.

After all, that still leaves 9900% for you!! Back up the truck!!

I have risked and lost a good few times, won a good many too. But I have to sign myself off to the young guys as...Conservatively yours, Bill

Clotho
2nd February 2006, 04:23 PM
5 years ago I was "all in" what could go wrong? I had the word of a multi billion dollar company that these names were going to work. (Verisign) It was in their own interest to make it work. They couldn't charge me for names if they didn't function properly could they? Wouldn't that be miss-representation of a product or service? Needless to say they still charged renewal fees eventually.

In any case I am still a bit sceptical. Who knows what the variables will be. Maybe this won't really take off untill IDN.IDN is in play. Maybe it will take a few years for enough content to be developed with these names for the general populace to start typing things in. Have they solved the problem with email and these names? I still haven't heard anything about that. Maybe they won't really take off until all of these factors are functioning properly.

My suggestion would be to make sure you can go at least a year without revenue from these and still be able to cover the renewal fee next year. I am confident that eventually these will earn revenue (I am still here after all). I am just not sure how long it will take. I expect to see a definate increase in traffic with the release of IE7, however I don't know how long it will take for that traffic to increase to a level that becomes commercially viable.

Rubber Duck
2nd February 2006, 04:31 PM
In any case I am still a bit sceptical. Who knows what the variables will be. Maybe this won't really take off untill IDN.IDN is in play. Maybe it will take a few years for enough content to be developed with these names for the general populace to start typing things in. Have they solved the problem with email and these names? I still haven't heard anything about that. Maybe they won't really take off until all of these factors are functioning properly.

Email does work, if you use the Verisign pluggin with Outlook or have Thunderbird.

Microsoft will provide Email support with Vista, but not until then.

Best Regards
Dave

gammascalper
2nd February 2006, 04:33 PM
5 years ago I was "all in" what could go wrong? I had the word of a multi billion dollar company that these names were going to work. (Verisign) It was in their own interest to make it work. They couldn't charge me for names if they didn't function properly could they? Wouldn't that be miss-representation of a product or service? Needless to say they still charged renewal fees eventually.

My suggestion would be to make sure you can go at least a year without revenue from these and still be able to cover the renewal fee next year. I am confident that eventually these will earn revenue (I am still here after all). I am just not sure how long it will take. I expect to see a definate increase in traffic with the release of IE7, however I don't know how long it will take for that traffic to increase to a level that becomes commercially viable.

I understand your skepticism. I got in late and never had to experience the $500/domain 5-year sunken cost.

You should check out the Russian names. It'll take a bit of digging at this stage, but +ve ROI names are out there.

Rubber Duck
2nd February 2006, 04:39 PM
I understand your skepticism. I got in late and never had to experience the $500/domain 5-year sunken cost.

You should check out the Russian names. It'll take a bit of digging at this stage, but +ve ROI names are out there.

Yes, many of those of us who have got in late have probably had better investments in terms of ROI than many of the original investors. I have probably on average spent about $10 per domain, to date and sales total somewhere around $15K

Dave

rhys
2nd February 2006, 05:35 PM
I'm in but I'm not all in. All in would be set aside my excellent 401K to invest in this. For me this is liquidate my meager IRA that has been going nowhere for 10 years and sell the stock I keep in my non-savings trading account. I have a business partner who is in up to his comfort zone. I have two or three people willing to invest capital in some cases significant but I am not accepting their money currently.

Next year, if liquidity of these domains remains an issue and I have trouble renewing with my own money, I will get some appraisals of my asset value and have a capital call to investors. That way since my partner and I are funding it seed stage, I hope I can maintain as much ownership of the fund for myself and my business partner as possible.

Great thread!

thegenius1
2nd February 2006, 11:13 PM
Hi All,
i personally don't wanna sell any..my best view of it is being able to lease them as i do view each domain as real estate..some in Beverly hills...some in Georgia (with no offense to the peach state).
Regards,
Michael

Can you elaborate a little more on the Leasing idea, and explain what the potential earning on leasing the " Bevery Hills " property would be, Are alot of the SuperStar Domains Nowadays leased ?

Can we get a Educated Guestamation on close to what the 10% is, "#"wise ?.... I would say its higher than TLD"S Because we have alot of Languages to choose From

Rubber Duck
2nd February 2006, 11:43 PM
Can you elaborate a little more on the Leasing idea, and explain what the potential earning on leasing the " Bevery Hills " property would be, Are alot of the SuperStar Domains Nowadays leased ?

Can we get a Educated Guestamation on close to what the 10% is, "#"wise ?.... I would say its higher than TLD"S Because we have alot of Languages to choose From

The term Super Star is very subjective, but there are certainly a 100K domains in each script that are worth serious money.

At the moment, I would guess that upwards of 30% of domains being registered are going to worth very serious money, but as time goes by the law of diminishing returns kicks in. I would say that China and Japan are really starting to reach the end of the landgrab, and whilst things are not yet hard slog, the initial gold rush is over.

Russia is where the action is at the moment, but with in weeks, at the rate things are going, that too will start to look played out. After that the next target is Arabic, which is already getting a lot of interest and is already getting tougher even for those who are native to the language.

After that things start to dry up a bit. Hindi is the next biggest language, but Thai and Greek are certainly on the agendas of many. After that India. Now that will test your resolve and understanding to the limits, but this is virtually virgin territory, so the potenial is huge, but the road map has not yet been published. My mail box will be full when you all finally get around to that one, but I won't care as my off the wall speculations will have been vindicated! Top Generics? Cry your eyes out!

Dave

Edwin
3rd February 2006, 12:25 AM
I would say more like 5,000 to 10,000, not 100,000. But the point is still well made that there are a lot of "goodies" to be shared by the first on the scene!

3rd February 2006, 01:48 AM
Imo it all depends on where your budget combined with belief starts and ends...
i think we can all agree that today still there are many idn's that if would be in a .com tld would be a "dream" to own...yet no one registers them (well at least i don't) as we wanna hit what you guys called the super stars...
question is again where to stop..because if we start regging 2word.com or even 2word.net in the idn version and it doesn't go where we all hope it does...its no fun

what i am worried about is not how long before it is going to fly high..is IF it even ever will (ever=next 5yrs) and from one hand i don't wanna be sorry for not regging 200 more yet from the other i don't want to triple the initial investment and see it go to waste (which is very unlikely but what do we know) ...how will it be marketed is remain unseen to me...any opinions/educated guesses will be appreciated as to how the world will know of the idn's other then some news wire that ie7 launched etc...

the main advantage i see in Russia and other countries that are in same situation is that they're are only .com and .net...so own one and u own 50% of the available keyword...own both and you're a monopoly in that example.com field

as for leasing...thats what i do now days...(or don't do) i have just 2 nice .coms that i lease and these 2 alone allow me to make sure i only work in what i want and have the time to write about my idn confusion on here etc...(when i say nice i mean they are in the RIGHT industry...one that constantly is in desperate need of advertising/leads/new clients etc...so imo dont just reg a dictionary word but look at it from the other hand of how u turn the word to $..industry size...need to acquire constant business/low repeat customer ratio etc...
again...to me..a domain=a piece of real estate and everyone knows you don't sell real estate if you can keep it...BUT when it comes to idn when we don't know what future holds....it becomes an individual choice to make...sell it (assuming it does stick) and run...then 4yrs after you'll curse the day you ran..or the other way around...

now that i spoke alot about something i know nothing of...please try and respond with specific opinions of why and how idn is an advantage to the world and maybe even try and estimate timelines.

Regards and go reg something

Michael

thegenius1
3rd February 2006, 12:02 PM
261265 is it possible you can share your Dot Com's that earn you enough to just sit around ? and if possibel can you give a ballpark figuire of what you make a month on those Names, Do you charge a monlthy or yearly fee, how does it work ?

Anybody else checkn out this thread please leave the Great or Not So great legthns you are going to get the money for IDN"S...... Lets All brainstorm on how much should be a solid investment to Become " Rich" with IDN"S, " ofcourse if you invest in Good Names" Anybody selling Blood or hitting up the Sperm Bank yet ? lol

Explorer
3rd February 2006, 12:31 PM
What do people think about Spanish, French. German and Portuguese names? I think they might command a premium since there would be no issue with IDN.IDN.

3rd February 2006, 03:13 PM
Genius (btw its much nicer when people say it to you rather u compliment yourself)

Anyways,

I cant disclose which names /amounts as its no benefit to no one imo.

A friendly suggestion...relax...dont excpect nothing and dont go sell your bad to buy some idn's...just be thnakful you didnt completly miss the train and again remember..the train is going to an unknown destination :)

Feel free to ask anything that can benefit you and if i know id love to answer.

Michael

bwhhisc
3rd February 2006, 03:36 PM

I am going to revise that to 1 or 2% reaching star-status after reading through this continuing thread. It would be interesting to find out how many ascii domains are registered, then we could have more reliable guesstimates. On resale ascii domains, I believe there are over 600,000 listed for sale today along between the Big 5 Resellers.

The 5,000-10,000 Edwin suggests is probably at the lower end in smaller countries, and the 100,000 Dave suggests is probably correct for China, where there are a billion people and tens of thousands of cities and more industry and manufacturing than anywhere in the world.

You have to think outside the box to realize this higher number is probably correct. Just look at all the catagories on EBAY to get an example of valuable domains for merchandise catagories. That probably 5,000 when you get thru it all. Then start thinking Cities, Vacation destinations, then Industries, Medical, Business, Consumer Products, Hobbies and Pets, Collectables, and another biggie...Adult and Sex, (there's probably 1,000 creative terms in that catagory alone!) It can add up faster than would appear at first glance.

rhys
3rd February 2006, 04:09 PM
Feel free to ask anything that can benefit you and if i know id love to answer.

Michael

Michael,

I'm more curious to learn about what you call "leasing", what is the value to both parties, how did you go about finding someone to "lease" the domain, and what you would consider standard terms for such a deal. I have been doing some thinking about this lately as I need to start getting my domain portfolio positioned for the future. Thanks.

Rubber Duck
3rd February 2006, 04:11 PM
I am going to revise that to 1 or 2% reaching star-status after reading through this continuing thread. It would be interesting to find out how many ascii domains are registered, then we could have more reliable guesstimates. On resale ascii domains, I believe there are over 600,000 listed for sale today along between the Big 5 Resellers.

The 5,000-10,000 Edwin suggests is probably at the lower end in smaller countries, and the 100,000 Dave suggests is probably correct for China, where there are a billion people and tens of thousands of cities and more industry and manufacturing than anywhere in the world.

You have to think outside the box to realize this higher number is probably correct. Just look at all the catagories on EBAY to get an example of valuable domains for merchandise catagories. That probably 5,000 when you get thru it all. Then start thinking Cities, Vacation destinations, then Industries, Medical, Business, Consumer Products, Hobbies and Pets, Collectables, and another biggie...Adult and Sex, (there's probably 1,000 creative terms in that catagory alone!) It can add up faster than would appear at first glance.

Sedo alone claim to have 3 Million listed, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that high percentage of these are quality.

Dave