PDA

View Full Version : Walk the Talk

alpha
22nd October 2006, 04:29 PM
Ok, so the GotIDN experiment failed.

Everything I read, everything I hear, all the PM's suggest we were on to something.

Assuming the concept was right but the model wrong, then adapt to a new model.

There's also been lots of pearls of wisdom offered, loads of advice. Everyone has an opinion, everyone has hinde sight, everyone is standing up to tell us how it should have been and how we went wrong.

Is this BS?

Is it just a load people with nothing to do but offer advice.

Well let's see. We've heard all the talk, lets see who wants to walk the talk.

If you believed in the concept of a Multi-lingual International IDN forum, but with the issues addressed and lessons learnt, and you can walk the talk and not just spout the talk:

Then life could be breathed back into the corpse.

The basic structure:

1 strategic director responsible for the decision making. (no more decisions by commitee)

A team of partners with a vested interest because they have equal ownership in a Limited company and thus have a commitment to investing a minimum of 2 hours a day.

The team:

2 technical people who can manage a server and code PunBB
2 moderators for a focused language (language to be agreed)
2 moderators for a second focused language (language to be agreed)
2 people who can work on promotion, marketing and strategic initiatives
2 people to work on SEO

to achieve the goals, this is the minimum I believe is required.

(2 because they provide backup to one another)

If you can walk the talk, then email me at Webmaster[at]IDNplanet[dot]com for details of a forthcoming Skype conference call to debate and firm up the basics I have outlined above.

If you can't walk the talk, then stop spouting the talk.

I will reply back on this thread in 5 days from now detailing the feedback received and maybe even a re-launch date - either way this is going to be put to bed one way or another.

Lets see whether it is just BS, or whether all this talk has substance.

edit: to be clear. Any emails received will be kept confidential, and if come 5 days time enough replies have not been received, then those who have replied can expect their response to remain confidential.

Rubber Duck
22nd October 2006, 04:42 PM
Well, I am willing to jump back in to help out in any way I can, should I be required and provided that a credible team can be assembled.

idnceo
24th October 2006, 03:09 PM
Is this BS?

Is it just a load people with nothing to do but offer advice.

Why dont you like advice? a lot of people work, study or is involved in other sites, so i dont see why you consider to hear advice BS. Anyway i wish you the best with the project 2. I hope many people walk the line.

Dnf.jp is for sale ¥500.000. I guess you can ask discount and you have japanese forum content. I also think you could ask Polin to join as you guys are looking more international languages, he has nice domains and he is doing the idnshow.com, thats more than other guys do to spread idns. Instead of start from zero, better with those two markets japan-china. Just my advice, if you think BS, okay. :)

Rubber Duck
24th October 2006, 03:21 PM
Why dont you like advice? a lot of people work, study or is involved in other sites, so i dont see why you consider to hear advice BS. Anyway i wish you the best with the project 2. I hope many people walk the line.

Dnf.jp is for sale ¥500.000. I guess you can ask discount and you have japanese forum content. I also think you could ask Polin to join as you guys are looking more international languages, he has nice domains and he is doing the idnshow.com, thats more than other guys do to spread idns. Instead of start from zero, better with those two markets japan-china. Just my advice, if you think BS, okay. :)

It not that we don't need advice, but the quality of advice that is received from people that are prepared to put a bit of time into a project is generally much higher. We are certainly always desperate to get real contribution from native language speakers. We do need native speaking Moderators not only to control the native language forums, but also to help develop them. If you were able to spend any time at all on this, I am sure your skills could be set to good purpose.

Giant
24th October 2006, 04:05 PM
You can cure a patient when he's sick, and it's useless in trying to revive a corpse.

Bury the corpse and forget all about it!

idnceo
24th October 2006, 04:38 PM
You can cure a patient when he's sick, and it's useless in trying to revive a corpse.

Bury the corpse and forget all about it!

Honestly i agree a little with you Giant. I think better to make international development forum instead of idn forums. But i am glad as few people that they are looking for internationalism.

I also wanna suggest that people should join and put domains on auctions in value-domain.com auctions to increase interest there, sure there are not until now many domainers there and yeah mostly crap domains -sometimes good ones, or you could start putting auctions of good idn ones- but anyway better to auction there than here for japanese domains as most japanese see auctions and interest on idns. Just add them with reserve price. Do the chit chat here as usual and there auction your japanese domains with japanese that join there. Anyway i just suggest and when you join auctions 財布.net is mine! (ovt. 147.000) :p but really not kidding, bid for others! ;)

if you have account on value-domain just click here to bid on domains on auction http://www.value-domain.com/auction.php?action=buy1

Drewbert
24th October 2006, 05:25 PM
Domain corpses can be resucitated years after they first die.

That's where the money was in the drop game back in the early days :)

Rubber Duck
24th October 2006, 05:29 PM
Well the Spruce Goose was a failure, and nobody ever built another one. :)

alpha
24th October 2006, 06:24 PM

Idnceo: It's not people giving advice that irritates me; it's people who stand up and say things are wrong, then stand up and say things need to change, and then when people action these wrongs and try and change things, they just sit back arms crossed and watch it go on in front of them - and then of course they are first in line to critise and give "advice" when it all goes pear-shaped.
I don't have a problem with people giving advice at all - I'm just suggesting they should focus their energies into actually doing something about it, rather than just recycling hot air.

Yes people are busy, we all are, but its amazing how many people find the time to turn up here everyday and and vent some more hot air.

anyway. enough said, rant over, hot air expelled ;) . I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

touchring
24th October 2006, 07:06 PM
Hehe, the fault doesn't really lie on the business plan - we get all sorts of people online, agendas differ, and so not everyone can work together. Some treat idn as a hobby, some as a business, some only to sell, some only to buy, some buy and sell, some just dabble minimally to past time, some a mix of everything, etc, etc. For me, it's a hobby, buy some/sell some, plus past time. :p