PDA

View Full Version : Totally Daft Question?

Rubber Duck
25th October 2006, 11:47 AM
OK, guys this may sound a bit dumb, but what would be the best option for a Non-Chinese Speaker to transfer a dot com name to a PRC based Registrar? Obvioulsy, being able to understand the interface would be a consideration, and URL forwarding would be a must. Good Price would also be appreciated and IDN support of some sort is a must.

lyndonmaxewell
25th October 2006, 11:59 AM
Well, it would be nice to sit in and see the replies for this. Who has any clues on how to do this transfer?

Giant
25th October 2006, 03:38 PM
I know how you can get a China base Registrar to forward you traffic, but your traffic will still be blocked from reaching ND.

If all roads to Rome are blocked, it makes no difference whether you start from London or Paris, you still can't get to St. Peter's Basilica. Since God the DNS is omnipresent, you better stay where you are and pray. Once the technicians of Dopa wake up from their drunkenness, they will fix the servers, and you will be fine.

Rubber Duck
25th October 2006, 04:10 PM
But that is the point. Is it Namedrive or even SEDO that is blocked, or simply one of the intermediate destinations? Are we being blocked when the Nameservers are quiried at Verisign. Are we being blocked when the Nameservers at the Registrar show up as not being registered in the PRC, or do the Chinese just have it in for Namedrive. Frankly, I think it is highly unlikely to be the later. Namedrive is not even a grain of dirt under the fingernail to them. It seems to me that is not where the problem lies. It maybe that Verisign will only answer queries within China that relate to an approved list of Nameservers. It may be that you can only resolve if you Nameservers are those of an approved Chinese Registrar. Once your Nameservers resolve, I think there is every liklihood that your URL forwarding from the Registar will work. The point is if nobody tries it, nobody will ever know. All I am asking is sufficient information to run an experiment with a couple of names.

I know how you can get a China base Registrar to forward you traffic, but your traffic will still be blocked from reaching ND.

If all roads to Rome are blocked, it makes no difference whether you start from London or Paris, you still can't get to St. Peter's Basilica. Since God the DNS is omnipresent, you better stay where you are and pray. Once the technicians of Dopa wake up from their drunkenness, they will fix the servers, and you will be fine.

Drewbert
25th October 2006, 05:45 PM
If only certain nameservers are "blessed" by China, you would have to have ALL your chinese domains using those servers.

It's no use just having the target domain there, because then Chinese surfers couldn't get to the starter domains to pick up the redirect or forward instruction, because they couldn't access the DNS for those names.

But I have Chinese ASCII names with NS located in the USA that get traffic fine. Baidu spiders them. Baidu spiders MOST of m sites even the non-Chinese ones.

If Baidu can spider them, then surely they're not blocked in China?

Rubber Duck
25th October 2006, 06:12 PM
Yes, you are right. If this were to work you would need to move each of your names that you wanted traffic onto a "blessed" nameserver. I am not sure even it were to work that it is necessarily a very sensible thing to do, but I would like to understand a bit more about the scenario.

Yes, you are perfectly correct in saying that traffic gets out of China on ASCII. It would be interesting to know if any of those names would still receive traffic when parked. In other words is our problem specific to IDNs or does it affect all domains that are parked outside of China?

We could also look at this problem from another perspective. Would developed Chinese IDN receive any traffic from China, either with or without Google Adwords added? Could we do an experiment to see whether this works or not, or indeed has anyone actually already done any development of Chinese IDN?

What occurs to me is that we are trying one thing, but only moving to next step if the first one is successful. That seems entirely logical. It may, however, be that with the Chinese scenario that by leaping to the next step we might possibly obviate problems that we encounter on the first one.

Perhaps there are no useful answers out there, but unless we ask some probing questions, we might be missing out on something.

If only certain nameservers are "blessed" by China, you would have to have ALL your chinese domains using those servers.

It's no use just having the target domain there, because then Chinese surfers couldn't get to the starter domains to pick up the redirect or forward instruction, because they couldn't access the DNS for those names.

But I have Chinese ASCII names with NS located in the USA that get traffic fine. Baidu spiders them. Baidu spiders MOST of m sites even the non-Chinese ones.

If Baidu can spider them, then surely they're not blocked in China?