PDA

View Full Version : Monetizing Chinese Traffic

Rubber Duck
25th October 2006, 02:03 PM
OK, I put up a request earlier and did not fully explain what I was up to, so perhaps I have only myself to blame that I did not get a response.

Spelling it out in words of one syllabul, I have a hunch that the problem with monetizing Chinese Traffic has something to do with Nameservers. The error messages coming from Dopa seem to indicate that is the case. It would seem that in order for your domains to resolve it has to pick up the nameservers from Verisign and then go to the Parking Services. It would seem Dopa is having problems doing this. I tried using URL forwarding to ND to see if I could get some Chinese Traffic coming through that way, but seem to have been unsuccessful. I have a hunch, but it is no more than that, that we might get traffic to Namedrive, if we have a registrar with Chinese Registered Nameservers and if the enquiry is then forwarded by URL forwarding to the Parking Services. Given both of these conditions, I think there is every chance we might get some traffic through.

There are only two ways of doing this. Either you need to register a name that has high traffic in China or Transfer one in. I was hoping that someone would give me some advice on how to Transfer a name in, but clearly advice is less forthcoming when it has some actual purpose. The other option is for anyone that already has a good name at a registrar in China to use URL forwarding to Namedrive or Sedo or preferably both, to assertain whether this idea of mine is nonsense or not.

domainstosell
25th October 2006, 03:39 PM
If I can be a little naive for a moment, does Sedo have any inroad to Chinese traffic? The reason I ask is because, first, I use Namedrive, so they are the main crux of my experience, and also because I've run across people on other forums who have (for example) [8188].com or something like that who say they get mostly Chinese traffic - how do they monetize (or even get) that traffic?

Rubber Duck
25th October 2006, 03:56 PM
I cannot honestly say what SEDO do. I have had them on the phone this afternoon and had the most Surreal conversation that I have ever had in my life. What a complete bunch of total w*nkers. Anyway, they have told me that I cannot have a look at SEDOpro because I do not meet the criteria, and that apparently has come down from the top. I was offerred screen shots, to which I have to say my reply, that this was their opportunity to impress me, not the other way around, and I made a commitment to publicly deride their CEO as a total moron, when this thing comes to fruitition. Where do these guys come from. I have never met such a short sighted bunch of complete fools in my entire life.

I have no intention of entering into further discussion with SEDO on the subject of IDN. They cannot commit to providing something now that is currently of little value to me and would cost them virtually nothing just for the benefit of information, so when the time comes when they want to talk to me, the door is going to get slammed very abruptly on their little germanic noses.

If I can be a little naive for a moment, does Sedo have any inroad to Chinese traffic? The reason I ask is because, first, I use Namedrive, so they are the main crux of my experience, and also because I've run across people on other forums who have (for example) [8188].com or something like that who say they get mostly Chinese traffic - how do they monetize (or even get) that traffic?

bramiozo
25th October 2006, 04:06 PM
Wasn't Dopa unique not only for it's location but also because they actually have had the "go" from the chinese government ?

Wankers indeed, this seems to be personal doesn't it ?

Forget it, maybe namedrive will come with a premium solution at some point and if the traffic reaches "normal" levels idn-parking services will be the hottest thing so who needs sedo anyway.

I cannot honestly say what SEDO do. I have had them on the phone this afternoon and had the most Surreal conversation that I have ever had in my life. What a complete bunch of total w*nkers. Anyway, they have told me that I cannot have a look at SEDOpro because I do not meet the criteria, and that apparently has come down from the top. I was offerred screen shots, to which I have to say my reply, that this was their opportunity to impress me, not the other way around, and I made a commitment to publicly deride their CEO as a total moron, when this thing comes to fruitition. Where do these guys come from. I have never met such a short sighted bunch of complete fools in my entire life.

I have no intention of entering into further discussion with SEDO on the subject of IDN. They cannot commit to providing something now that is currently of little value to me and would cost them virtually nothing just for the benefit of information, so when the time comes when they want to talk to me, the door is going to get slammed very abruptly on their little germanic noses.

Rubber Duck
25th October 2006, 04:22 PM
Wasn't Dopa unique not only for it's location but also because they actually have had the "go" from the chinese government ?

Wankers indeed, this seems to be personal doesn't it ?

Forget it, maybe namedrive will come with a premium solution at some point and if the traffic reaches "normal" levels idn-parking services will be the hottest thing so who needs sedo anyway.

Frankly, I am not that bothered. I am just signalling that I don't need any more queries relating to what SEDO will or will not do. As far as I am concerned they have been RED carded and bannished for good! If they are ever going to be part of the solution, then we do have a serious problem.

Actually, I was interested to see Rod Stewart on X-Factor last week. He stated that in the 1960s, he had been turned down by every Recording Company in the UK. Seems hard to believe now, doesn't it?

Yes, Dopa was obviously on an approved list of Nameservers. What you need to remember is that all the big Western Computer outfits are co-operating with the Great Firewall, it is their creation. China couldn't have done it without them. Verisign needs a relationship with Beijing, and I think part of the Quid Pro Quo, is that their DNS Servers in China operate approved lists. Dopa was obviously on that list. The latest indications are that now they are not.

bramiozo
25th October 2006, 04:35 PM
This article reminds me how twisted their firewall is :
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/5/17/25858.shtml

There's a legitimite way around the firewall isn't there, develop a website, host it in china, get the 'license' from the chinese government and then forward your related names to different pages on that site.

touchring
25th October 2006, 05:02 PM
Latest news from dopa, ehh, silverclicks.com.cn - i'm still using that:

DNS问题已解决
2006-10-25
  DNS服务器(dns?.365.com)已恢复正常功能,对于由此而造成的极大麻烦,我们深表歉意,并按惯例进行补偿。

银点工作组

Translation:

DNS problem resolved.

2006-10-25
  DNS server (dns?.365.com) has resumed normal operations. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and you shall be compensated accordingly.

Silverclicks Staff

Rubber Duck
25th October 2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks, yes after a real battle to get logged on due to near zero connectivity, I have managed to confirm same at Dopa.

I would still dearly love to know, how to transfer a domain to a Chinese Registry, so that I can experiment with URL forwarding from there.

Latest news from dopa, ehh, silverclicks.com.cn - i'm still using that:

DNS问题已解决
2006-10-25
  DNS服务器(dns?.365.com)已恢复正常功能,对于由此而造成的极大麻烦,我们深表歉意,并按惯例进行补偿。

银点工作组

Translation:

DNS problem resolved.

2006-10-25
  DNS server (dns?.365.com) has resumed normal operations. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and you shall be compensated accordingly.

Silverclicks Staff

touchring
25th October 2006, 09:02 PM
I was lucky, only second or third time i checked?