PDA

View Full Version : Warning DomainSite.com returns false results

passengerpigeon
2nd February 2006, 11:29 PM
I just wanted to alert everyone who copy and pastes script right into the DomainSite availibility-check box: if you paste in scipt with capitalized letters you will get FALSE "Taken" results. This won't affect anyone who is working with asian languages, but it definitely is an issue for russian.
here is a test for DomainSite.com:
enter "Бодиарт.com", which is translates to "Bodyart", and DomainSite will tell you it is taken in all extensions.
when you enter "бодиарт.com", which is "bodyart", you get the correct WHOIS answer: Available.

bwhhisc
2nd February 2006, 11:35 PM
We all learned that one the hardway too! Thanks for posting, so others will know as well. It has been a while since a mention here.

AND ADDING- Check you name in google, and get one of "their" versions with NO accent marks (except maybe the little bowl shape). Check with a native speaker when possible! Domainsite.com will register about anything you can throw at them...garbage included (as long as all letters are lower case!!!)

passengerpigeon
2nd February 2006, 11:41 PM
yeah, i was wondering if it had been written up here eariler; i just didn't feel like digging to find out!

Probably mentioned earlier, but: you will also get false returns if there are spaces between characters (particularly hard to pick out from Asian script).

Edwin
2nd February 2006, 11:44 PM
You can get rid of a lot of problems by using a few simple Excel tricks.

1. Paste all your words into a column
2. Do a search and replace for " " [i.e. space] and replace with "" i.e. blank
3. In the first cell of the next column, enter "=lower(a1)". This will give you the lowercase form of the word in cell A1
4. Cut and paste the formula all the way down so that you're creating the lower-case form of all your words
5. Paste the lowercase list of cleaned-up words into your note file, your registrar Whois tool etc.

Rubber Duck
2nd February 2006, 11:46 PM
I just wanted to alert everyone who copy and pastes script right into the DomainSite availibility-check box: if you paste in scipt with capitalized letters you will get FALSE "Taken" results. This won't affect anyone who is working with asian languages, but it definitely is an issue for russian.
here is a test for DomainSite.com:
enter "Бодиарт.com", which is translates to "Bodyart", and DomainSite will tell you it is taken in all extensions.
when you enter "бодиарт.com", which is "bodyart", you get the correct WHOIS answer: Available.

10/10 top of the class, but that does not get you the Cities, Surnames or First Names, which were wide open as obviously many had not understood this little quirk!

Dave

gammascalper
2nd February 2006, 11:56 PM
Quick and dirty method to convert into lower case: throw the term into US overture tool. Any result will always be in lower case.

Rubber Duck
3rd February 2006, 12:03 AM
Quick and dirty method to convert into lower case: throw the term into US overture tool. Any result will always be in lower case.

Sorry slow and messy!

Past as many terms, one word to a line, into Word.

Shift F3 will convert one paragraph at a time. But to do it quickly find and replace paragraph marks with space. Do you Shift F3 on the whole lot. Then find replace spaces with paragragh marks and then you are ready to export by copy and pasting into Excel or anywhere else for that matter.

Dave

Edwin
3rd February 2006, 12:28 AM
Why not use my Excel formula I posted above? You can convert over 60K words to lowercase in one go...

Rubber Duck
3rd February 2006, 07:25 AM
Why not use my Excel formula I posted above? You can convert over 60K words to lowercase in one go...

Sorry, Edwin. I was just in from a night out and didn't read your entry. Nice tidy solution though. I would only add that if your keeping the results in an Excel file that the result should be Copied and then Paste Special using the Value option to get rid of the formula.

Dave

blastfromthepast
6th July 2006, 05:32 PM
Of course if you used a Mac, you could just assign one keystroke to perform the "Convert to Lowercase" function of WordService... in any application.

WordService needs to be installed in Services:

http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/freeware/services.html