PDA

View Full Version : What would be the perfect timing to create IDN sites?

Olney
27th October 2006, 03:13 PM
Hopefully I can inspire those with the resources & skills to look into site development a bit.

I have noticed that there are a few members here that already are absent because they are developing.

So for the rest of us

When is a good time to develop IDN domains?

Since the market is so diverse I'd like for all of you to specify what you think generally & for specific areas.

Do you think that "we" should develop after natives do?
Do you think that we should develop a bit now take stats & expand from there?
Do you think creating one pagers with adsense, which could actually make at least one dollar a week.
Do you think forget development just stick with parking?
Develop everything with High overture bids?
Develop domains with High Ovt & Google trends
Just forward to an existing site & hope some blogger mistakes it as that company's domain & people start to backlink it?
Develop a few sites & when you start seeing IE7 is more than 40% of the users start developing more.

If just a few members get inspired to develop an IDN or two it's better for the market in whole.

Rubber Duck
27th October 2006, 03:32 PM
To be honest with you, I am not yet that excited about development. Given it a bit of a go and come to conclusion I am wasting resources as yet. Once I was a sensible baseline of Parking Earnings to measure against then I will think about things again.

If you are waiting for 40% penetration, I would say you need to be live around 1st December. If you can get something elaborate up and running before then, you obviously work faster than Microsoft.

It is always possible that absent Members have just lost interest. Perhaps some of the development focus needs to be here.

Hopefully I can inspire those with the resources & skills to look into site development a bit.

I have noticed that there are a few members here that already are absent because they are developing.

So for the rest of us

Since the market is so diverse I'd like for all of you to specify what you think generally & for specific areas.

Do you think creating one pagers with adsense, which could actually make at least one dollar a week.
Just forward to an existing site & hope some blogger mistakes it as that company's domain & people start to backlink it?
Develop a few sites & when you start seeing IE7 is more than 40% of the users start developing more.

If just a few members get inspired to develop an IDN or two it's better for the market in whole.

alex
27th October 2006, 03:42 PM

Yesterday.

I don't see any reason to wait for natives. Even if it's just one page or a mini-site and even if it brings in less than parking, I think it's better to get live sites online. It should improve search indexing and you can also get much more detailed stats with your own server stats and Google Analytics. I think you should go for a broad range of topics and see how each of them performs. If one area is stronger than the others, then concentrate on more serious development on those sites and start developing other names in the same area.

Get some basic sites established and get ready to ride the wave, rather than scrambling to catch up after it hits.

domainstosell
27th October 2006, 03:44 PM

So for the rest of us

With my CancúnHotel.com (http://xn--cancnhotel-qdb.com) site, I am currently making more revenue than it ever made parked, with basically no promotion yet (need some more cash flow first). I'm not making a groundbreaking sum of revenue by any means, but it is growing... Most of the traffic is from Germany at this point.

bramiozo
27th October 2006, 03:51 PM
Maybe because they have been actively using idn for some years now, ironic though :) .

Is it me or is that script-tag error still on there ?

domainstosell
27th October 2006, 04:08 PM
Maybe because they have been actively using idn for some years now, ironic though :) .

Is it me or is that script-tag error still on there ?

Yeah, it's still on there... Too many irons in the fire now, but I need to sit down this weekend and fix it. I may just take that whole search bix off; it messes up the site for Firefox users anyway, and I can't figure out a fix...

thefabfive
27th October 2006, 04:09 PM
I don't believe our (general IDNers) development will affect the market much. The large corporations and savvy webmasters will do more for spreading the IDN word than we could.

In terms of revenue however, there may be some advantage to development, but like RD I'd rather wait until natural traffic materializes. That said I have four or so Japanese affiliate sites I made several months ago that are beginning to get hundreds of hits a day. From what I can tell Yahoo.co.jp takes much longer to index sites, or maybe they wait for a history, but their dominance in the Japanese market makes it very worthwhile.

blastfromthepast
27th October 2006, 04:54 PM
That said I have four or so Japanese affiliate sites I made several months ago that are beginning to get hundreds of hits a day. From what I can tell Yahoo.co.jp takes much longer to index sites, or maybe they wait for a history, but their dominance in the Japanese market makes it very worthwhile.

Exactly my experience with Japanese minisites. The payout from affiliates is up since the summer as well. A small targetted Japanese minisite can generate a few hundred dollars a month easily.

John W
27th October 2006, 05:04 PM
CancúnHotel.com is looking great!

I personally am of the opinion we shouldn't wait for the natives but should start getting some good sites out there, like CancúnHotel. The more good sites there are out there, the better IMO.

ScottFish
27th October 2006, 05:06 PM
One thing to think about is the fact that a lot of good IDNs are owned by this speculative community. It def can't hurt the value of your IDNs if you develop them out and start to make the concept more broadly understood by companies around the world.

Now is the perfect time for development, you could become the next About.com because it takes early development to secure a brand like that.

domainstosell
27th October 2006, 05:22 PM
CancúnHotel.com is looking great!

I personally am of the opinion we shouldn't wait for the natives but should start getting some good sites out there, like CancúnHotel. The more good sites there are out there, the better IMO.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment!

bramiozo
28th October 2006, 11:05 AM
The solution is simple, look for this piece of text <script langauage="javascript"> there's obviously a typo in there, therefore the underlying code is not treated as javascript but as html, that's why it's visible.

As to development, I had the idea to build an interface, much like scriptlance but more direct (and simpler ;) , for developers,translators,investors and domainowners, would that be a welcome idea ?

seamo
28th October 2006, 12:18 PM
Well, for those of us with *less than stellar* portfolio's, I'd say develop now.

It can't hurt, and should give us the boost that we need to help make up on the parking revenue shortfall.

rhys
28th October 2006, 05:03 PM
All I know is that some of the sites I have developed are getting a 100+ views a day and making close to their reg fee every month or better. It isn't a lot of money yet but it is definitely adding up. If I didn't have those examples, I would probably not do anything with them, but this gives me real hope that I can get these domains self-sustaining at least within this year.

Olney
28th October 2006, 05:30 PM
I think this is one big point people can should realize
The stats you can get from just a few developed can shape the way you plan your investment.
Also depending on how you develop, you can make more than parking.
I've taken about 50 domains off of parking & my parking revenue wasn't affected.
I've developed at least 10 of those 50 domains.
If each of those domains can make at least $10 a month, then I'm already doing better than the portfolio with parking.

Rubber Duck
28th October 2006, 06:46 PM
I think this is one big point people can should realize
The stats you can get from just a few developed can shape the way you plan your investment.
Also depending on how you develop, you can make more than parking.
I've taken about 50 domains off of parking & my parking revenue wasn't affected.
I've developed at least 10 of those 50 domains.
If each of those domains can make at least $10 a month, then I'm already doing better than the portfolio with parking.

Parking, we are talking zero investment.

Development is time and investment. Efforts to date have not performed as well as parking and I have bought in good development.

There is no commercial rational at the moment for developing from where I stand.
If significant revenues parking revenues materialise, I will look at it again.

Development should be about producing sites that deliver real services not just another way of Spamming the Internet. If we can see that it will pay then we will do something serious. $10 a month hardly covers yours standing overheads.

rhys
29th October 2006, 05:02 AM
I think that development includes offering unique services or information. However in most cases where adsense guidelines are followed, development is at least a step up from parked pages. Is it a kind of spam, i don't know, certainly the value ad is mostly low. But certainly higher than parking pages.

In a sense RD and Olney are both right. For RD it takes $ to develop a site in Japanese. For Olney it takes no $ just a time calculus. For myself as well. Though I can say that for the money I am already seeing, it wouldn't be bad for folks to invest some dough to develop a few sites.