PDA

View Full Version : Diamond.net or"good".com

thegenius1
3rd February 2006, 02:28 AM
For example you have the option to reg Diamond.net do you snatch that just as fast as the .com or do you save your money and Reg something else.... I run into alot of good Dot Nets.. But i kinda need a realisation of what the potential ROI would BE

yanni
3rd February 2006, 03:20 AM
I would stick with the .com unless it's a country where nets are more popular per se.
Follow the example of the ASCII world I would say.

IDNCowboy
3rd February 2006, 03:39 AM
I would stick with the .com unless it's a country where nets are more popular per se.
Follow the example of the ASCII world I would say.
depending on the country...

.ru is very strong and right now we don't know if .com is more popular in china/japan vs .jp/.cn for the future

yanni
3rd February 2006, 08:08 AM
depending on the country...

.ru is very strong and right now we don't know if .com is more popular in china/japan vs .jp/.cn for the future

Agree, but he was wondering about .com and .net
My understanding is he's asking wether to reg the .net after he's regged the .com of a particular word, or should he save the money and look for another .com, even if it's a "lesser" keyword.

Thus, my reply. :)

3rd February 2006, 09:08 AM
IMO i would reg both just not to miss on any as both are good but if i understand why you asked i would go with the diamonds.net as i can see where an end user/firm will find specific use for it = income for you..and even while you own it can get some revenue off ads etc.... good.com is a memorable 1word.com obviously yet other then being that its a domain a user wont immediately know whats in the site once sees it i.e on a billboard , which like everything is an advantage and disadvantage..more disadvantage imo , even if you ask for an appraisal they will always look for (and thats the hard decision making part)
1st of all the .extension but also if domain is "clear" as to what it holds etc...

but to finalize i know nothing about nothing and its all speculating and guessing ...i dont think owner of Fish.com thought will bank a million for it in his/hers best dream

Michael

Rubber Duck
3rd February 2006, 09:22 AM
Any experienced domainer know that there are two components to a domain, i.e. Keyword and Extension. Both are important.

A dot net is unlikely to bag more than about 20% the value of a dot com at the moment and that is unlikely to be significantly different in the IDN market in the short-term.

The value of a domain, however, can rise exponentially on keyword. An excellent keyword is worth 1,000 times more than a good keyword. If I had to choose between diamond.net and good.com I would go for the keyword rather than worry too much about the extension.

Dave

thegenius1
3rd February 2006, 09:49 AM
Any experienced domainer know that there are two components to a domain, i.e. Keyword and Extension. Both are important.

A dot net is unlikely to bag more than about 20% the value of a dot com at the moment and that is unlikely to be significantly different in the IDN market in the short-term.

The value of a domain, however, can rise exponentially on keyword. An excellent keyword is worth 1,000 times more than a good keyword. If I had to choose between diamond.net and good.com I would go for the keyword rather than worry too much about the extension.

Dave

I understand what yo u mean and im not sure if correcting the miscommunication will make any difference but i was trying to compare quote " Diamond " .net = Excellent KEyword to quote " Good " .com = meaning Good Keyword

Rubber Duck
3rd February 2006, 10:34 AM
I understand what yo u mean and im not sure if correcting the miscommunication will make any difference but i was trying to compare quote " Diamond " .net = Excellent KEyword to quote " Good " .com = meaning Good Keyword

Yes, that is what I understood the first time.

Advice is the same. Go with the quality of the keyword. The extension in my view is an important but lesser consideration.

Dave

bwhhisc
3rd February 2006, 11:01 AM
While .com is preferred in some countries, most of the world has NO internet experience, and hasn't been brainwashed that a (.com) is is better! Most have only heard the word (internet) and .net may relate better to some countries in the end.

WE DON'T SEARCH USING ENDINGS!! How often is someone going to "search" by adding .com or .net or .ru?? When most people search they use only KEY WORDS! Like "Cheap Hotels" or "Cruise Discounts" or "Gold Jewelry". Who is going to search for "goldjewelry.com"???

In the end, you want traffic and customers. I would still rather have a .com but, a .net can compete head to head (or even outrank) a .com if it has an excellent designed website with good keywords, site SEO, links to other sites, blog mentions of site, and advertising to bring even more customers.

But if your business is selling your IDN's to jaded "old time" domainers, ...the dot .coms will probably do better. I would guess that 75% of the worlds population doesn't even know what .com means!!

yanni
3rd February 2006, 08:15 PM
WE DON'T SEARCH USING ENDINGS!! How often is someone going to "search" by adding .com or .net or .ru?? When most people search they use only KEY WORDS! Like "Cheap Hotels" or "Cruise Discounts" or "Gold Jewelry". Who is going to search for "goldjewelry.com"???

I have a sh*tload of domains (not IDN) which prove your statement wrong.

A lot of people search a keyword with the extention, either directly on the address bar or the search engine search box.

IDNCowboy
3rd February 2006, 09:46 PM
I have a sh*tload of domains (not IDN) which prove your statement wrong.

A lot of people search a keyword with the extention, either directly on the address bar or the search engine search box.
why would ppl search for the keyword and extension? Why not just go to the website? I know a few .net's that do very well..

Ever heard of google adwords? PPL will care less when they buy something... they'll usually go to the .com or .net

thegenius1
3rd February 2006, 10:31 PM
why would ppl search for the keyword and extension? Why not just go to the website? I know a few .net's that do very well..

Ever heard of google adwords? PPL will care less when they buy something... they'll usually go to the .com or .net

You stole the words out of my mouth Verbatim !

yanni
4th February 2006, 01:04 AM

Here are the last 20 search engine referrers to one of my websites:

03 Feb, Fri, 18:37:54 MSN Search: cheats for ps2
03 Feb, Fri, 18:38:03 Google: ps2 cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 18:40:39 MSN Search: all PS2 cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 18:41:37 MSN Search: ps2 cheats.com
03 Feb, Fri, 18:46:08 Google: WWW.PS2 CHEATS.COM
03 Feb, Fri, 19:09:40 Google: n-game cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 19:12:55 Google: ps2 cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 19:29:56 MSN Search: ps2 game cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 19:34:37 MSN Search: ps2 cheat codes
03 Feb, Fri, 19:35:50 Google: cheat world
03 Feb, Fri, 19:40:13 MSN Search: ps2 game cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 19:49:43 MSN Search: cheats for ps2
03 Feb, Fri, 19:55:23 Google: ps2 game cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 19:57:10 Google: cheat world
03 Feb, Fri, 19:59:56 Google: ps2 cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 20:05:19 Yahoo: ps2 cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 20:08:09 Google: ps2 cheats.com
03 Feb, Fri, 20:11:34 MSN Search: cheats for ps2
03 Feb, Fri, 20:11:59 MSN Search: All cheats.com
03 Feb, Fri, 20:13:39 MSN Search: ps2 game cheats

Notice anything interesting? 4 out of the 20 used a search engine and typed in the .com at the end. That's 20%

Why do they do it? Who knows. Mostly newbies I assume.

As for the second part of your post, re: adwords. I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make.

IDNCowboy
4th February 2006, 01:47 AM
Here are the last 20 search engine referrers to one of my websites:

03 Feb, Fri, 18:37:54 MSN Search: cheats for ps2
03 Feb, Fri, 18:38:03 Google: ps2 cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 18:40:39 MSN Search: all PS2 cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 18:41:37 MSN Search: ps2 cheats.com
03 Feb, Fri, 18:46:08 Google: WWW.PS2 CHEATS.COM
03 Feb, Fri, 19:09:40 Google: n-game cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 19:12:55 Google: ps2 cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 19:29:56 MSN Search: ps2 game cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 19:34:37 MSN Search: ps2 cheat codes
03 Feb, Fri, 19:35:50 Google: cheat world
03 Feb, Fri, 19:40:13 MSN Search: ps2 game cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 19:49:43 MSN Search: cheats for ps2
03 Feb, Fri, 19:55:23 Google: ps2 game cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 19:57:10 Google: cheat world
03 Feb, Fri, 19:59:56 Google: ps2 cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 20:05:19 Yahoo: ps2 cheats
03 Feb, Fri, 20:08:09 Google: ps2 cheats.com
03 Feb, Fri, 20:11:34 MSN Search: cheats for ps2
03 Feb, Fri, 20:11:59 MSN Search: All cheats.com
03 Feb, Fri, 20:13:39 MSN Search: ps2 game cheats

Notice anything interesting? 4 out of the 20 used a search engine and typed in the .com at the end. That's 20%

Why do they do it? Who knows. Mostly newbies I assume.

As for the second part of your post, re: adwords. I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make.
Most of the people search for the term without the extension otherwise why would they do it? A few do include the extension tho.

The stats above could also be showing return visitors who are typing in the .com

Come on think the obvious ppl go to the SE's having no clue what site to look at.

also they could be using the site command

PS2 site:www.cheats.com and just forgot to add the site: command