PDA

View Full Version : JIM ROGERS: The 19th century was the century of the UK. The 20th century was the US.

touchring
5th November 2006, 05:03 PM
Jim Rogers didn't add that from the 1st century to the 16th century, these are all China's centuries. 17th century, barbarian rule took over China.

http://www.financialsense.com/transcriptions/Riverside.htm

sarcle
5th November 2006, 05:19 PM
Jim Rogers didn't add that from the 1st century to the 16th century, these are all China's centuries. 17th century, barbarian rule took over China.

http://www.financialsense.com/transcriptions/Riverside.htm

Depends on what culture you are looking at. from the 1st century and on in western civilization it was the Romans.

But you are right in terms of eastern culture.

21 century will be ruled by Asia once again.

Rubber Duck
5th November 2006, 05:24 PM
<<MARC FABER: Not necessarily. Countries that have a weak currency usually don’t gain much in terms of competitiveness. By the way, the US dollar would have to decline by say 80% against the Chinese RMB to be competitive. That is unlikely to happen. But I think that the wiser issue is why the US is not particularly popular? Because they have this belief that they are kind of a new empire in the world, the way the Romans were and empire. Nobody likes an empire, because empires have always bullied people around. I mean, the Romans crucified people. A good example, they crucified Jesus Christ because they didn't li
ke him and because he was considered a rebel.>>

Yes, interesting stuff there. Of course refusal to grant the possiblity of a fully functioning internet might be one of the real flash points.

So the Rinimbi would need to be revalued to five time its current level to make the US competitive. At that level China would probably already be the World's largest economy!

touchring
5th November 2006, 05:24 PM
Depends on what culture you are looking at. from the 1st century and on in western civilization it was the Romans.

But you are right in terms of eastern culture.

21 century will be ruled by Asia once again.

The Romans were very backward as compared to Han Chinese during the 1st century. Europe only achieved the equivalent of Han technology and prosperity perhaps 15 centuries later.

sarcle
5th November 2006, 05:31 PM
The Romans were very backward as compared to Han Chinese during the 1st century. Europe only achieved the equivalent of Han technology and prosperity perhaps 15 centuries later.

Yes, I'm not disagreeing with that. Hell, western culture didn't realize how to use black powder properly until the 19th century. But it was this invention of the blasting cap using chinese discovery that led to Britian's rule.

Side note (fun trivia fact): I find it funny that the one who invented the "blasting cap" making modern day warfare possible (Alfred Nobel) is the one who is heralded every year with the Nobel Peace Prize. Can you define irony?

But relax. Asian culture will rule the 21st century, reclaiming their throne.

touchring
5th November 2006, 05:47 PM
<<MARC FABER: Not necessarily. Countries that have a weak currency usually don’t gain much in terms of competitiveness. By the way, the US dollar would have to decline by say 80% against the Chinese RMB to be competitive. That is unlikely to happen. But I think that the wiser issue is why the US is not particularly popular? Because they have this belief that they are kind of a new empire in the world, the way the Romans were and empire. Nobody likes an empire, because empires have always bullied people around. I mean, the Romans crucified people. A good example, they crucified Jesus Christ because they didn't li
ke him and because he was considered a rebel.>>

Yes, interesting stuff there. Of course refusal to grant the possiblity of a fully functioning internet might be one of the real flash points.

So the Rinimbi would need to be revalued to five time its current level to make the US competitive. At that level China would probably already be the World's largest economy!

That will cause hyperinflation in America - cos the leaders won't tell them that.

Rubber Duck
5th November 2006, 05:48 PM
Side note (fun trivia fact): I find it funny that the one who invented the "blasting cap" making modern day warfare possible (Alfred Nobel) is the one who is heralded every year with the Nobel Peace Prize. Can you define irony?
QUOTE]

No mystery there. Those that accumulated massive wealth through incalculable levels of injustice, often aspire to be great philanthropists, even when they continue to exploit people mercilessly. You will see parallels with some of the great companies today. You won't have to look hard.

[QUOTE=touchring]That will cause hyperinflation in America - cos the leaders won't tell them that.

Hyper Inflation is inevitable when a economy is prepared to reward itself beyond anything that is justifiable in terms of productivity.

In the service sector, productivity can be very subjective and the American Government has undoubtedly fiddled thing to suit its own agenda.

The Chinese will be blamed, but self-delusionment with be the real cause.