PDA

View Full Version : Lets Monopolize !!!!

thegenius1
4th February 2006, 04:21 PM
I think i may have came up with a Genius Idea, We should form a corperation or a co-opp, and Create a Massive Portfolio, and only allow about 100 people in on this, Bye doing this im sure we will have thousands and thousands Of GREAT IDN"S and we can in a Sense Monopolize the industry and Demand A VERY HEFTY PRICE TAG for the Whole PORTFOLIO.... im talkn 250-500million if not more, and just devide the money up among the hundred people.... I think this would Draw attention from big investors and im sure they would see the potential for ROI... This is obvisiously a very Brief Business Plan, But waying the Pro's and Con's i think the PROS are very Massive.... Leave your input .... Just think about it, that one kid from the 3rd world country sold his Hispanic portfolio to a Asian investor for Over 100 million, so im sure they would really want a IDN portfolio.... I think the Synergy would be Great:) Think about it really, it would be like putting in at the Office to for the Powerball and winning, you could get a few tickets yourself, or you can have better chances with the Group, and im sure all of us would be happy recieving over a MILLION DOLLARS out of the Deal

Rubber Duck
4th February 2006, 04:41 PM
I think i may have came up with a Genius Idea, We should form a corperation or a co-opp, and Create a Massive Portfolio, and only allow about 100 people in on this, Bye doing this im sure we will have thousands and thousands Of GREAT IDN"S and we can in a Sense Monopolize the industry and Demand A VERY HEFTY PRICE TAG for the Whole PORTFOLIO.... im talkn 250-500million if not more, and just devide the money up among the hundred people.... I think this would Draw attention from big investors and im sure they would see the potential for ROI... This is obvisiously a very Brief Business Plan, But waying the Pro's and Con's i think the PROS are very Massive.... Leave your input .... Just think about it, that one kid from the 3rd world country sold his Hispanic portfolio to a Asian investor for Over 100 million, so im sure they would really want a IDN portfolio.... I think the Synergy would be Great:) Think about it really, it would be like putting in at the Office to for the Powerball and winning, you could get a few tickets yourself, or you can have better chances with the Group, and im sure all of us would be happy recieving over a MILLION DOLLARS out of the Deal

Well you can count me out. All I would stand to do is loose control. I am not sure that I can't get to those kinds of figures on my own!

Dave

sarcle
4th February 2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I wish all you guys well, but if you think I am going to just hand over my portfolio to the group your crazy.

sarcle
4th February 2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I wish all you guys well, but if you think I am going to just hand over my portfolio to the group your crazy.

thegenius1
4th February 2006, 04:48 PM
Well you can count me out. All I would stand to do is loose control. I am not sure that I can't get to those kinds of figures on my own!

Dave

Okay with that being said do you think this is a Good idea for those of us whose Portfolios arent as Big as yours, And how would you loose control ? I think this would be garrentueed money in the bank for all of us... but i know you have one of the Upper hands so you may feel you would be loosing out on some millions but this would definelty salidify all of us sipping martinis on the beaches of the World.... But for us smaller folk would this be worth it for us!.... I say YES!!!!!!

gammascalper
4th February 2006, 04:49 PM
Go for it. I'm not participating either.

thegenius1
4th February 2006, 04:50 PM

Okay but like i said that was a very short business plan, im sure it could be in place that you dont actually transfer over your domains, maybe just like a contract that would be renewed yearly or something like that stating that it cant be sold individually

sarcle
4th February 2006, 04:55 PM
Okay, I guess I was a little soft with my anwser. NO!

This is my hard work, these are my names. PERIOD. I'm sure it's the same with Dave, Gamma, and the rest of us who have been in a little longer than the newer ones.

Good Luck, but people with a strong portfolio aren't not just going to hand them over because these are the names that are worth the money, not some of the junk that has been selling on other forums lately.

I wish you well with your plan but you would be better off contacting friends or family and doing this on your own.

Rubber Duck
4th February 2006, 04:59 PM
Okay but like i said that was a very short business plan, im sure it could be in place that you dont actually transfer over your domains, maybe just like a contract that would be renewed yearly or something like that stating that it cant be sold individually

OK, assuming that you all put in your domains at one time, how do you go about making any ongoing investment decisions. If you have to have approval of the majority of the group each time it is going to be less efficient than the USSR. Even then half of them are going to be unhappy with the decisions each time. Same goes for selling, how would you ever agree on anything.

The other insurmountable hurdle is an initial valuation of the portfolio, or would you just get a share regardless of what you contributed. Doesn't sound remotely workable to me.

The value of the Portfolio is in the domains. I really fail to see how lumping them together in this way is going to increase the value. Mergers are normally based on reducing overheads. I fail to see how you would achieve that either.

I think the whole idea is a recipe for disaster, but you are welcome to try and prove me wrong!

Best Regards
Dave

touchring
4th February 2006, 05:05 PM
It won't work, who is going to buy your portfolio? Will you buy if you got the money?

bwhhisc
4th February 2006, 05:12 PM
I read into this as him wanting to create a CO-OP and then purchase "unregistered" names for the group. I am not sure that there are enough A list domains out there to accomplish this.

Putting this together to the scale you have in mind would probably in itself be a bit of a nightmare. Deciding what to buy, some needing to get out "now" and want their money, physical control of domains, voting rights, sell vs. don't sell at what price. A great big can of worms!

But your imagination and ideas are GREAT- don't stop posting and writing about them. That's part of the fun and appeal of this forum.

Olney
4th February 2006, 05:13 PM
I understand the Genious' attemp at unity but create a huge IDN portfolio to sell to one company would be pretty hard (I think)
Looking at the future value of most of our domains, most of older forum members strongly believe we are holding pure gold the fact is most of us are.
If we did group together do we sell the portfolio to one person, or sell it off piece by piece?
If it's piece by piece that's already what we are doing on our own.

I think though you could accomplish this with the new members.
They have might have a bit less to offer than us but you guys could get a good portfolio together.

My portfolio should be just enough to buy a little quaint house on the beach & matching beemers for me & the lady...:p

sarcle
4th February 2006, 05:16 PM
My portfolio should be just enough to buy a little quaint house on the beach & matching beemers for me & the lady...:p

What color?

I'm shooting for a Porsch 911 GT2 Turbo-canary yellow.

kenne
4th February 2006, 05:18 PM
It will be fun to play the domain monopoly game, but ultimately the success of any extension (we are mostly in .com, .net, I think) depends on developers, and also small piece meal action that builds up the market.

I've not been in this market long to really know what I'm saying. But I suspect monopoly in an early stage game is bad for the game.

Rubber Duck
4th February 2006, 05:21 PM
I understand the Genious' attemp at unity but create a huge IDN portfolio to sell to one company would be pretty hard (I think)
Looking at the future value of most of our domains, most of older forum members strongly believe we are holding pure gold the fact is most of us are.
If we did group together do we sell the portfolio to one person, or sell it off piece by piece?
If it's piece by piece that's already what we are doing on our own.

I think though you could accomplish this with the new members.
They have might have a bit less to offer than us but you guys could get a good portfolio together.

What the Newbies need to do is get some good ideas together whether it be individually or in a group. Domains are being sucked up day by day so the better ones are rapidly disappearing, but there was four or five years of healthy trading in ASCII dot coms before the supply virtually dried up.

To make money you need to think "OUT OF THE BOX". Thats what I was doing when I went head overheels into this market. I was subject to nearly 2 years of everybody telling me I was crazy. Identify the opportunities, evaluate the risk and then put your money where you mouth is and hold your nerve!

Dave

Rubber Duck
4th February 2006, 05:24 PM
What color?

I'm shooting for a Porsch 911 GT2 Turbo-canary yellow.

No, it won't be a car I need. Not much use when you have your own island!

I think I would like one of those big Sun Seekers though!

Dave

donwebcorleone
4th February 2006, 05:46 PM
genius, i understand your opinion. let the old members talk, u go and do what u believe. sometimes innovation is better than years of "experience". i got 2 million yen in confirmed sales and in only one week of "experience". :) sometimes experience isnt all...

bwhhisc
4th February 2006, 05:49 PM
Dave- with your portfolio I would be fantasizing about a land-sea jet hovercraft so you can visit your friends on surrounding islands...and serve dual purpose as a land yacht.

bwhhisc
4th February 2006, 05:50 PM
genius, i understand your opinion. let the old members talk, u go and do what u believe. sometimes innovation is better than years of "experience". i got 2 million yen in confirmed sales and in only one week of "experience". :) sometimes experience isnt all...

How much is 2 million yen for us home gamers?

thegenius1
4th February 2006, 05:58 PM

2,000,000.00 JPY
Japan Yen = 16,815.91 USD
United States Dollars
1 JPY = 0.00840795 USD 1 USD = 118.935 JPY

umm thats awesome !!!!:o

donwebcorleone
4th February 2006, 06:00 PM

for me, it translates in more than 600 new IDNs if i want to spend that only in first market...:)

Rubber Duck
4th February 2006, 06:02 PM

Nice work! I am all for innovation. You've obviously got the jump on the rest of us in the Marketing department, but to some extent that was predictable.

From my perspective, this Forum itself started off very much as a marketing excercise. If you are now selling large amounts of domain for a substantial profit to End Users in one of our key markets, then it has clearly achieved its goal. To some extent you are being used, but it doesn't sound as though it is hurting too much!

Dave

Explorer
4th February 2006, 06:06 PM
Not sure about handing over my domain names, but some kind of non-public entity where we simply establish some kind of soft guidelines would probably make sense. Such as...don't sell a city IDN with over 1MM population for less than 1K. :-)

Olney
4th February 2006, 06:06 PM
About $19,000 a little more perhaps...

I won't discourage you genious please try to think out the box as suggested
I just started to register a few dot jps that I swear I thought must have been snatched up.

I even got myself 2 one kanji dot jps...

bwhhisc
4th February 2006, 06:07 PM
for me, it translates in more than 600 new IDNs if i want to spend that only in first market...:)

Any of your sales large enough to be reported to DNJournal, or are they all private and confidential? DNJournal doesn't require a buyers name, and that person can private reg so noone ever knows. This site has been good publicity for IDN's and they gave a nice mention to IDNForums which helped with a boost in membership.

rhys
4th February 2006, 06:20 PM

Congrats DWC! Can you give me some tips for how you did it, as I am assuming these were not sales to hardcore IDNers. I will probably visit family in April in Japan and it would be good to do a little business while I am there. :)

glow
5th February 2006, 01:43 AM
Good time to establish a domains brokerage company on the japanese market. What do you think? :)

Edwin
5th February 2006, 02:31 AM
A coop will never work because everyone has a high opinion of their own names, but it's only TRUE in a few cases. So everyone will feel entitled to a big piece of the overall pie, but in practice it's the folks with the GENUINELY GOOD names who'd be carrying all the rest.

It's kind of an ironic idea, since the people who stand to be most in favour of it are those who are least capable of carrying themselves independently over the finish line to wealth and success. Since if they were already well on the way, as many have outlined in this thread already, there's basically no upside and lots of downside.

So in a sense, the coop is self-filtering as well as self-defeating: if you want to join, you have no business joining! The more you want "in", the less you bring to the table.

Now on an individual level a whole lot is still possible....

A month ago I had no IDNs. Now I have over 700, and I may get to 1,000 before I start slowing down. Whether they are worth mega-millions is debatable at best, but I think I've done "ok". From my research, there's no reason why anyone willing to put in the effort and cash NOW can't build up an excellent portfolio. There's still loads of stuff available.

IDNCowboy
5th February 2006, 02:46 AM
A coop will never work because everyone has a high opinion of their own names, but it's only TRUE in a few cases. So everyone will feel entitled to a big piece of the overall pie, but in practice it's the folks with the GENUINELY GOOD names who'd be carrying all the rest.

It's kind of an ironic idea, since the people who stand to be most in favour of it are those who are least capable of carrying themselves independently over the finish line to wealth and success. Since if they were already well on the way, as many have outlined in this thread already, there's basically no upside and lots of downside.

So in a sense, the coop is self-filtering as well as self-defeating: if you want to join, you have no business joining! The more you want "in", the less you bring to the table.

A month ago I had no IDNs. Now I have over 700, and I may get to 1,000 before I start slowing down. Whether they are worth mega-millions is debatable at best, but I think I've done "ok". From my research, there's no reason why anyone willing to put in the effort and cash NOW can't build up an excellent portfolio. There's still loads of stuff available.
Yup, I feel like a lil kid in the aisles of Toys r us.. so many nice gems available

thegenius1
5th February 2006, 03:56 AM
A coop will never work .......

It's kind of an ironic idea, since the people who stand to be most in favour of it are those who are least capable of carrying themselves independently over the finish line to wealth and success.

Major Contradiction, How would it not work if detailed properly, First you say that People in favor have no shot a being wealthy, then you say on a individual level its possible "CONTRADICTION" IF a group of lets say 10 put together their ideas and money and Resources together that is equal if not better than one individual...... ?

Edwin
5th February 2006, 05:41 AM
Major Contradiction, How would it not work if detailed properly, First you say that People in favor have no shot a being wealthy, then you say on a individual level its possible "CONTRADICTION" IF a group of lets say 10 put together their ideas and money and Resources together that is equal if not better than one individual...... ?

Here's the thing - if I believe my stuff (ideas and resources) is worth "x" and 10 people are in the group, then together the group has to create more than 10x for me to benefit from it, assuming each member of the group gets an equal share. Can't be done in this industry, given that all you need is a brain and $8 to scoop a brilliant name.

Olney
5th February 2006, 05:49 AM
We shouldn't bring this into an arguement level.
Genious had an idea that most corporations do. It is valid for many but most of us are at different levels of this IDN game.
I mean it's like growth all of us are going through.
We first register whatever we can get our hands on & give tips to other to expand the knowledge.
Then we realize "fudge I might be a millionaire if I sold this portfolio in 2 years"
Then we get greedy (This is just a joke)
But we do start to refine our searches & what we register.
I have a formula to determine what I want to buy & why & it's pretty much equals a higher return on my entire portfolio.

Let's ease up on Genious he specifically said it wasn't a business plan but an idea. We sound like one of those old movies where the cast fall into some hidden cave with jewels & gems & start fighting each other...btw Dave, Sarcle, & Edwin in two years will you guys use 20 dollar bills or 50 dollar bills as toilet paper???:)

Edwin
5th February 2006, 05:54 AM
Sorry, wasn't meaning to sound argumentative - guess the negatives were pretty crystal clear for me, but that doesn't mean suggesting the idea was without merit...

thegenius1
5th February 2006, 06:19 AM
Here's the thing - if I believe my stuff (ideas and resources) is worth "x" and 10 people are in the group, then together the group has to create more than 10x for me to benefit from it, assuming each member of the group gets an equal share. Can't be done in this industry, given that all you need is a brain and $8 to scoop a brilliant name.

Not to argue but that is my point, Yes we can all still reg Great Names with 6.99 and a Brain, But thats why this THREAD WAS CALLED " LETS MONOPOLIZE" Meaning if a group has a vested intrest a and LARGE sum of names, we wont be posting them for 500 hundred bucks, we will be waiting to cash in on Millions Collectivly... And like Only said this was just an idea not DETAILED, and Better then turning in your names you have already regd and have DREAMS AND HOPES for, we could just all agree to Put up like 500 hundred dollars and REG all the best Overtures and Names that are the BEST, and keep this coop group seperate from our other domains, and this would help us all because everybody would be working towards the same cause, Find the best investor....!!!

Edwin
5th February 2006, 06:28 AM
Again, though, I'm interested in your reasoning why any particular coop member would be better off than if they just take that $500 and register another 65 domains they come up with themselves... after all, somebody has to find those best Overture score domains and then - rather than keep them for themself - share them with the coop.

The market barriers to entry into the domain name industry are basically non-existent for serious players. Even 1,000 domains is only $8k, which compares favourably to many other investments. Nothing has to be "created" or "developed" - it's not like we're building a piece of machinery or a prototype of a product. In fact I can't think of any other line of business in which it's possible to manufacture (out of thin air) so much value so quickly.

Even the original "jackpot" play - sex.com - would have taken perhaps 5 minutes to register, and cost $70 or so a year to maintain (reg fees were higher back then). Leaving aside the exceptional circumstances of the legal battle surrounding the name, that's a profit of $14,000,000 for 5 minutes work.

Rubber Duck
5th February 2006, 06:28 AM
Not sure about handing over my domain names, but some kind of non-public entity where we simply establish some kind of soft guidelines would probably make sense. Such as...don't sell a city IDN with over 1MM population for less than 1K. :-)

I don't think you need worry about that one!

Dave

thegenius1
5th February 2006, 06:38 AM
Again, though, I'm interested in your reasoning why any particular coop member would be better off than if they just take that $500 and register another 65 domains they come up with themselves... after all, somebody has to find those best Overture score domains and then - rather than keep them for themself - share them with the coop.

The thread was Called LETS MO-NOP-OLIZE, Meaning CREATING SYNERGY, Synergy definition: The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.
Cooperative interaction among groups, especially among the acquired subsidiaries or merged parts of a corporation, that creates an enhanced combined effect. Monopoly Definition : Exclusive control by one group of the means of producing or selling a commodity or service. So if we Synergize and then MOnopolize we can Demand more money than 1 name here 2 names there ..... Get my Drift ? p.s And that would be a great name the Synergy Group

Rubber Duck
5th February 2006, 06:39 AM

Well, that more managable that 100. My ideal is 2. The idea there is to have someone who can help manage things on a day to day basis, while I go off enjoying myself. The other difference is that I and my partner go back a long way, we haven't just met on the internet! The other major point is that these are primarily my ideas and I still have ultimate control.

Dave

Rubber Duck
5th February 2006, 06:40 AM
Dave- with your portfolio I would be fantasizing about a land-sea jet hovercraft so you can visit your friends on surrounding islands...and serve dual purpose as a land yacht.

Perhaps we should just all move to Dubai!

Dave

Rubber Duck
5th February 2006, 06:53 AM
The thread was Called LETS MO-NOP-OLIZE, Meaning CREATING SYNERGY, Synergy definition: The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.
Cooperative interaction among groups, especially among the acquired subsidiaries or merged parts of a corporation, that creates an enhanced combined effect. Monopoly Definition : Exclusive control by one group of the means of producing or selling a commodity or service. So if we Synergize and then MOnopolize we can Demand more money than 1 name here 2 names there ..... Get my Drift ? p.s And that would be a great name the Synergy Group

If there is a synergy to be gained, it is not in pooling the domain assests. The synergy that might possibly be derived would be on the development and marketing side of the operation. I know that if were Japanese or Chinese and had the Web Design skills and the Sales skills to set up a string of directory sites, that I would stand to make a lot more money than just parkng the names. There is some argument for linking up with those that have these skills, but the problem is why would they want to link with you. Take Olney for example, he has a small portfolio but most of them are very classy generic names. He has a enough material there to keep himself busy for a lifetime!

Dave

Rubber Duck
5th February 2006, 07:09 AM
2,000,000.00 JPY
Japan Yen = 16,815.91 USD
United States Dollars
1 JPY = 0.00840795 USD 1 USD = 118.935 JPY

umm thats awesome !!!!:o

Yes, it is for a guy that has been in the game 10 minutes. Ok, donwebcorleone is a smart cookie, but by Christmas there will be dozen if not hundreds like him. Converting companies from ASCII to IDN will have become as much an industry as PVC Double Glazing! Many of us will be sat thousands of miles away unable to do much other than watch our portfolios grow gradually. Some of these guys will be increasing their portfolios and sales by a factor of 10 or more each month. I withdrew my next comment for fear of being seen as insensitive, but suffice it to say this is going to have a very large impact.

Dave

Rubber Duck
5th February 2006, 11:10 AM

Actually Joking aside, life has taught me there are many ways of measure success, most of them useless. My personal favourite and one that gives some good pointers along the way is:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

--Rudyard Kipling

bwhhisc
5th February 2006, 11:17 AM
The other difference is that I and my partner go back a long way, we haven't just met on the internet! Dave

GENIUS- Theres a million dollar spark!! Being the best (and maybe first) Internet Dating site in these emerging markets! You can take the best ideas and web formats and redevelop them for these countries and preferences.

Rubber Duck
5th February 2006, 11:26 AM
GENIUS- Theres a million dollar spark!! Being the best (and maybe first) Internet Dating site in these emerging markets! You can take the best ideas and web formats and redevelop them for these countries and preferences.

Nice concept but perhaps not original:

xn--zgbj2a.com عشق love Urdu
xn--b6bif6g2a.com প্রেম love Bangla
xn--y9bif6g2a.com ਪ੍ਰੇਮ love Punjabi
xn--mecif6g2a.com પ્રેમ love Gujarati
xn--koc0h.com ఆశ Love Telugu
Dave