PDA

View Full Version : IDN Indian Names

anurag
5th February 2006, 12:21 PM
Hi all,

Today I have joined the forum.

I was wondering how to find the names registered in Indian languages and how to Register New names.

Is it possible to find total number registered in any particular language.
for example how many hindi ( One language in India) IDN Names registered.

Which one is best registrar ( Cheap and best)

Sorry for many question :)

Thanks
Anurag

Rubber Duck
5th February 2006, 12:34 PM
Welcome, and it is always good to hear from someone interested in Indian Scripts.

There is quite a lot registered in Hindi but the other languages are currently relatively untouched. Even those that understand these languages seem to often have difficulty generating the scripts ats present. This presents huge opportunities if you have the belief, as many top generics are still available.

If you can work in Bengali or Urdu, then I think you are looking at a Fortune. I think there is huge potential and I have also dabbled in Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Kannada, Malayam and Oriya.

I use www.domainsite.com. Interface is superior so managing your domains after purchase is very easy. Most buyers will probably already have an account there so you can just push the domains.

I will try to advise you where I can, but you must understand that I don't read or speak any of the the languages that I speculate in.

Dave

anurag
5th February 2006, 01:13 PM
Hi Dave

THanks for mail.

I was thinking where I can find the names registered in Indian language

I am not sure to find total names registered in any particular language.

Thanks
Anurag

Rubber Duck
5th February 2006, 01:22 PM
Frankly there are no even half up to date statistics on how many dot Com IDNs are registered in total, let alone a breakdown by language. What I do know is that, however, many that is it has certainly stopped falling as it was a year ago and is now embarked on a steep upwards trajectory.

Most of the really good stuff in Chinese and Japanese went about 4-5 years ago now.
That is where Indian Scripts are so exiting. Because portable fonts were not available in those languages at that time, it was virtually impossible to register let alone research domains at that time. This is why the field is wide open. OK, it looks risky, but if you wait for others to try the water first, the best stuff will be gone! The real question is, how do you envisage Indians accessing the Internet, given the choice. If you as many do think that it will be in English, then clearly such investments make nonsense. If you believe as I do in the script of their own Mother Tongue, then fill you boots and hold on for a very exciting ride!

Dave

Hi Dave

THanks for mail.

I was thinking where I can find the names registered in Indian language

I am not sure to find total names registered in any particular language.

Thanks
Anurag