PDA

View Full Version : traffic from dictionary words?

10th December 2006, 02:50 AM
What kind of uniques are you guys seeing a day on just regular ordinary foreign dictionary words? And you guys are using "insertforeignwordhere".com? When I was in asia I didn't see anybody using .com

So, are you guys getting more of your traffic from English speaking countries or the countries with your foreign domain, being that it's .com?

I haven't purchased any IDNs yet and I'd really like to know, I can already see there's a huge amount of domains I'd like that's still available and my majors are Japanese and Chinese so I'm glad that I can finally use it for something ;D

ok peace

blastfromthepast
10th December 2006, 03:04 AM
I haven't purchased any IDNs yet and I'd really like to know, I can already see there's a huge amount of domains I'd like that's still available and my majors are Japanese and Chinese so I'm glad that I can finally use it for something ;D

I'm suprised you are finding a huge amount of domains in Japanese and Chinese available for registration at this stage.

10th December 2006, 03:10 AM
yeah, they're really simple words too, they'd be worth thousands easily if they were translated to their english counterparts, but I'd like to know how the traffic is going. It's the case that I've found too many that I would like to buy and I just can't afford them all right now, not unless I know that there's actually traffic coming to the dictionary word sites. So, what kinda traffic are you guys getting on say some random foreign dictionary word?

blastfromthepast
10th December 2006, 03:15 AM
yeah, they're really simple words too, they'd be worth thousands easily if they were translated to their english counterparts, but I'd like to know how the traffic is going. It's the case that I've found too many that I would like to buy and I just can't afford them all right now, not unless I know that there's actually traffic coming to the dictionary word sites. So, what kinda traffic are you guys getting on say some random foreign dictionary word?

The IDN domains selling currently for thousands are the domains that would be worth tens and hundreds of thousands if they were ascii.

Traffic is minimal on everything except the top tier words. IE7 isnt being autoupdated until the spring for Japanese and Chinese, so low expectations on traffic are best. In other words, don't expect revenue unless you develop and get people visiting your site due to keyword to domain matching in search engine results.

10th December 2006, 03:23 AM
What would you consider top tier words, maybe like words that translate to "dog", or "house", or "bathtub".com? Or are you talking major keywords like "business" and "music" and words like that?

And we're still talking about these all with .com still right? not .jp

blastfromthepast
10th December 2006, 03:31 AM
What would you consider top tier words, maybe like words that translate to "dog", or "house", or "bathtub".com? Or are you talking major keywords like "business" and "music" and words like that?

Both. Good luck with the search!

rhys
10th December 2006, 03:37 AM

Minimal natural traffic. Fantastic traffic on simply developed domains once the Yahoo picks them up (in case of Japan). I have both .com/.jp and I think .jp better ultimately. Most of my words are single and double word generics.

10th December 2006, 03:40 AM
thanks for the info rhys, I'm going to buy 3 or 4 and see how it goes.

Olney
10th December 2006, 04:04 AM
Stick with commercial terms
There are probably plenty of verbs you can find (But no guarantee yet on these)
Just because it's a dictionary term doesn't mean a company needs it or people are searching for the term.

Top Tier words would be
Career related, digital products, loan & banking, travel related, Health & Beauty

I'm pretty confident if you have a grasp of the language you can still find dot coms. As Rhys advised look into dot jps & cns if you can afford them. Getting better quality names in cn or jp if you can might be better in the long run if you will only get a small portfolio.

I'll also again repeat with Rhys said. Even one page sites with on target content are getting plenty of traffic from Yahoo Japan.

Drewbert
10th December 2006, 05:02 AM
I'm going to buy 3 or 4 and see how it goes.

That's what I was going to suggest.

10th December 2006, 05:05 AM
O.K., thank you for your advice.

I'll make 3 sites for the domains I bought and see how it goes, with any luck I can get in the serps as fast as the rest of you other guys, but I'm not expecting much. One page sites getting ranked first in yahoo? Who wouldn't be happy about that?

Fka200
10th December 2006, 05:48 AM
Foreign traffic for even crappy words is picking up.

Goodluck!

domainguru
10th December 2006, 08:30 AM

Forget "words", "dictionary terms" - instead think "search terms". That's where the value is.