PDA

View Full Version : IE7- We have liftoff...

bwhhisc
10th December 2006, 03:16 PM
The trajectory is on for IE7 steady vertical climb :)

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=7

IE6 is now tracking south

JColson
10th December 2006, 03:21 PM
Nice graph - this is encouraging.

Rockafeller
10th December 2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks Bill! You always have useful information to share!

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/chartfx62/temp/CFT1210_01312038A22.png

bwhhisc
10th December 2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks for putting the image up...a picture is still worth a thousand words.

Rubber Duck
10th December 2006, 04:19 PM
This is really only a part month, mainly English, with AU throttled right back.

Imagine what they could achieve if they were trying!

touchring
10th December 2006, 04:35 PM
US stats or worldwide stats?

Traffics for europeans seem to have risen as compared to a month ago.

bwhhisc
10th December 2006, 04:41 PM
This is really only a part month, mainly English, with AU throttled right back. Imagine what they could achieve if they were trying!

Yeah, thought about that as well and your are right this is probably a good deal English updates. Wonder if the statistics for foreign languages are available somewhere?

Rubber Duck
10th December 2006, 04:49 PM
Yeah, thought about that as well and your are right this is probably a good deal English updates. Wonder if the statistics for foreign languages are available somewhere?

You will probably find what you need at Namedrive. I am getting a few enquiries from Arabs in Arabic from ND, so I guess there must be some movement there.

touchring
10th December 2006, 05:28 PM
I checked one of the latins hooked up to analytics, IE7 is minimal.

Rubber Duck
10th December 2006, 06:09 PM
Take a look at http://www.Yahoo.cn !

That's weird, the display in IE7 is not the same as in Firefox. Obviously, if you already have it then you don't need it but the Homepage at Yahoo is obviously detecting which browser you have!

Giant
10th December 2006, 07:36 PM
8.84% is higher than I expected.

Very encouraging!

touchring
11th December 2006, 07:44 AM
Yes, IE7 is no mystery, but the Dopa mystery remains. :)

Prodigy
11th December 2006, 07:47 AM
I think Dopa is funnelling off my traffic and click revenue... I swear that my traffic has dropped since the release of IE7...

Drewbert
11th December 2006, 07:18 PM
That's because the ie6 idn plugin breaks idn support in ie7

Rubber Duck
11th December 2006, 07:38 PM

But how many actually had this installed in the first place?

Drewbert
11th December 2006, 09:01 PM
I'm sure our stats anal[yst]s would be only too happy to calculate the drop in Dopa revenue and figure out the %age.

vgemito
12th December 2006, 01:48 AM

For those who have the IE6 plugin and expect to download IE7 how do you deal with this?

Regards

Drewbert
12th December 2006, 02:34 AM
two options I think.

1. User, confused that IDN's are no longer working, phones their ISP support who HOPEFULLY successfully identifies the problem.

2. User, confused that IDN's are no longer working, does nothing.

I can't see Verisign taking an active role. They still advertise their plug in, rather than alerting people to the existence of IE7.

Maybe someone here has a contact at Verisign that they can lean on for some movement in the plugin dept?

touchring
12th December 2006, 03:03 AM
I'm sure our stats anal[yst]s would be only too happy to calculate the drop in Dopa revenue and figure out the %age.

It's like 90% drop for me.

Explorer
12th December 2006, 09:44 AM
Just another evidence of IE7 market share climb.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

domainguru
12th December 2006, 09:51 AM
Just another evidence of IE7 market share climb.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

I would doubt those figures, I'm not sure where they are collected from. They looked skewed towards Firefox. There's no way in the world it has 29.9% market share amongst the "general Internet population".

In Thailand, IE7 usage is only 2.35%, and firefox / mozilla just 3%

http://truehits.net/graph/graph_stat.php#WEB

It's going to be a very very long time before IDN-compatible browsers make up the majority of installations in Thailand !

bwhhisc
12th December 2006, 10:19 AM
It's going to be a very very long time before IDN-compatible browsers make up the majority of installations in Thailand !

That may be true, but when IDNs start to come into general use, internet users will find a way to be able to search for them.
Have you seen any evidence of advertising using Thai idns yet?

Prodigy
12th December 2006, 10:36 AM
Interesting to see how long it took IE6 to get a majority sharehold in the market... i imagine this time round it's going to be alot faster but i'm seeing that it ook a year from 30% to 50% but at the same time IE has lost a 85% market share in 2002 to only 56% in 2006... how effectively and efficiently are existing IE users going to adopt the new technology...

to me its all abt adoption rates. once IE7 is predominant, then an opportunity exists for IDNs.

domainguru
12th December 2006, 10:37 AM
That may be true, but when IDNs start to come into general use, internet users will find a way to be able to search for them.
Have you seen any evidence of advertising using Thai idns yet?

Absolutely not. I am probably going to be introducing IDNs to Thai users with sites currently in development. I see no evidence of any other activity.

The key is to get our IDN sites near the top of google.co.th search results, then others will start to take notice. Companies need a reason to switch, a compelling one. If they ask me how many people can type Thai language domains into their browser and I reply "about 5%", they aren't going to be rushing to develop sites with Thai language domains. They will more than likely be rushing for the door ...

That's just a "reality check". The reason I am developing Thai IDN sites is that I believe owning keyword domains for top Thai search terms will help our sites get near the top of the search engines, and give us thousands of daily visitors. If that's true, others will follow the same path.

bwhhisc
12th December 2006, 10:45 AM
Absolutely not. I am probably going to be introducing IDNs to Thai users with sites currently in development. I see no evidence of any other activity. The reason I am developing Thai IDN sites is that I believe owning keyword domains for top Thai search terms will help our sites get near the top of the search engines, and give us thousands of daily visitors. If that's true, others will follow the same path.

Most of the activity I see in Thai are those searching for adult content; guess that is pretty much a universal curiosity thing.
Activity and hits is a good sign of things to come. How many computer users are there in Thailand?
General population is 60 million so a huge potential market, and big on tourism.

domainguru
12th December 2006, 10:51 AM
Most of the activity I see in Thai are those searching for adult content; guess that is pretty much a universal curiosity thing.
None the less there is activity and hits and that is a good sign.

If you are getting visits from Thais, I can almost guarantee it is coming through google searches rather than type-ins. It has been true for every Thai domain I own that has been getting daily visits. Sometimes it takes a lot of looking though. It could be ranked anywhere from #1 to #500 for popular terms and still gettings hits from google.co.th.

The #1 placement for the most popular thai term probably generates 50K daily visits alone.

bwhhisc
12th December 2006, 12:14 PM
If you are getting visits from Thais, I can almost guarantee it is coming through google searches rather than type-ins. It has been true for every Thai domain I own that has been getting daily visits. Sometimes it takes a lot of looking though. It could be ranked anywhere from #1 to #500 for popular terms and still gettings hits from google.co.th. The #1 placement for the most popular thai term probably generates 50K daily visits alone.

I was surprised by your graph that Google rules with near domination in Thailand since Yahoo seems to have the top position in Japan.

Seems yahoo would have at least respectable market share or did I misinterpret the info?

Also, what are the top Thai language websites currently?

Rubber Duck
12th December 2006, 12:23 PM
I was surprised by your graph that Google rules with near domination in Thailand since Yahoo seems to have the top position in Japan.

Seems yahoo would have at least respectable market share or did I misinterpret the info?

Yahoo have failed just about everywhere except Japan, and arguably the US.

They are desparate to turn the situation around which is why they are starting to promote their version of IE7 on their homepage to lock in their customers and perhaps steal some new ones. Their version has their toolbar and effectively makes them the default search engine.

Microsoft are starting to look like Crash Test Dumbies. There is battle for survival going on and like X-Factor, there will only be three semi-finalists. Google are through, Baidu are looking hot and mean business. Yahoo is pulling out the stops, and Microsoft is rolling over to have its tummy tickled.

The only way Microsoft is going to pull this around is by rolling out IE7 immediately and offer a Microsoft Toolbar as a default option. If they do not do this then their Search Engine dream is as good as over. Return to the House, pack your bags and leave immediately.

domainguru
12th December 2006, 12:24 PM

It's all Google here. What happens in Japan doesn't really affect things here, save for haircuts maybe :)

Top thai websites are:

Website IP/day
1. www.sanook.com 249,586
2. www.kapook.com 145,904
3. www.manager.co.th 121,044
4. teenee.com 94,284
5. www.dek-d.com 93,584
6. www.playpark.com 93,307
7. www.siamza.com 79,785
8. www.pramool.com 77,070
9. www.mthai.com 77,014
10. www.sf.in.th 72,730

But note, these are only websites that participate in the NecTec "stats collection" scheme. So big players like google.co.th are excluded.

bwhhisc
12th December 2006, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=domainguru]It's all Google here. What happens in Japan doesn't really affect things here, save for haircuts maybe QUOTE]

I have seen some pretty large number of Thai websites for "Japanese movies", "Korean movies", and "Chinese movies" with big google numbers while researching Thai. And I think you owned the .coms on them :)

domainguru
12th December 2006, 12:39 PM
It's all Google here. What happens in Japan doesn't really affect things here, save for haircuts maybe

I have seen some pretty large number of Thai websites for "Japanese movies", "Korean movies", and "Chinese movies" with big google numbers while researching Thai. And I think you owned the .coms on them :)

Not come across such sites myself, though yes, Thais are keen on imported movies / series from Korea, Taiwan, China and Japan. Not sure I own any of those as domains, but I may do, I've forgotten most domains I regged earlier this year :p

TrafficDomainer
12th December 2006, 02:00 PM
A few years ago, Yahoo used to have a double digit search engine market share in Thailand (as high as 30%). Google has been offering the Thai version of their search engine for a while whereas yahoo.co.th has only recently switched from their English portal for Thailand to Thai language portal. I believe the slowness of their localization in Thai may have been one of the reasons they lost their market share to Google in recent years. It is also my personal experience that Google more accurately returns more relevant searches in Thai.

Rubber Duck
12th December 2006, 03:47 PM
A few years ago, Yahoo used to have a double digit search engine market share in Thailand (as high as 30%). Google has been offering the Thai version of their search engine for a while whereas yahoo.co.th has only recently switched from their English portal for Thailand to Thai language portal. I believe the slowness of their localization in Thai may have been one of the reasons they lost their market share to Google in recent years. It is also my personal experience that Google more accurately returns more relevant searches in Thai.

Google got the message. Globalisation through localisation.

Baidu understand the message are now taking it to Yahoo in Japan.

Yahoo has just woken up but are trying play catch up.

Yandex are in a Coma.

Microsoft? Well it don't smell good!

http://www.pbs.org/odyssey/images/20011023_daily4_b.jpg

rhys
12th December 2006, 04:22 PM
Interesting to see how long it took IE6 to get a majority sharehold in the market... i imagine this time round it's going to be alot faster but i'm seeing that it ook a year from 30% to 50% but at the same time IE has lost a 85% market share in 2002 to only 56% in 2006... how effectively and efficiently are existing IE users going to adopt the new technology...

to me its all abt adoption rates. once IE7 is predominant, then an opportunity exists for IDNs.

One thing that I can tell you, IE does not have only 56% marketshare. I doubt there is even a single market where it has such low share. 70% maybe in some markets but not 56%. What's your source?

bwhhisc
12th December 2006, 05:30 PM

I think its initially going to be more about fads...and the IDN fad will catch on and (fortuntately) be longlasting. The internet users without IE7 will still figure out a way to access them, or get a plug in or whatever.

When IDNs get 'discovered' they will be new and novel and you will see things take off quick. Happened a thousand times before with other products and services. Advertising agencies and t-shirt companies are going to love them!

Rubber Duck
12th December 2006, 05:39 PM
I think its initially going to be more about fads...and the IDN fad will catch on and (fortuntately) be longlasting. The internet users without IE7 will still figure out a way to access them, or get a plug in or whatever.

When IDNs get 'discovered' they will be new and novel and you will see things take off quick. Happened a thousand times before with other products and services. Advertising agencies and t-shirt companies are going to love them!

I think there is lot evidence that companies are just waiting in the wings with the rebranding. Perhaps they won't do it in the run up to Chrismas now but it will happen.

Just take rurubu.com They are already displaying the IDN.com version in their logo. They already have the domain they need. They just haven't deployed it yet. Why? Because they will do it when the time is right. They will be watching browser statistics just as we are doing.

The bottom line is that when the browser support is there the content will come very quickly. Those that are behind will have to catch up fast or be made to look stupid. The content will now come faster than we think because Yahoo is now pushing its own versions of IE7 very hard, so hard that other including Google, Baidu and Microsoft will not wish to be left behind.

One morning you will wake up and IDN will be everywhere just like a blanket of snow.

touchring
12th December 2006, 06:08 PM

Yes, in stock trading, they call it - invest on fundamentals.

It's a good thing that end users do not know about IDNs - it will be FAR BETTER for us if they start to discover IDNs after IE7 has established itself.

If it plays out that way, there won't even be a fad, it will be reality from the beginning, overnight hundreds of thousands of websites start to use IDNs, and people discover they could use their own language.

Rubber Duck
12th December 2006, 06:18 PM
Yes, in stock trading, they call it - invest on fundamentals.

It's a good thing that end users do not know about IDNs - it will be FAR BETTER for us if they start to discover IDNs after IE7 has established itself.

If it plays out that way, there won't even be a fad, it will be reality from the beginning, overnight hundreds of thousands of websites start to use IDNs, and people discover they could use their own language.

Yes, you have it. Advertiser are not going to blow their wad on IDN before the browser support is out there. They are going to hold tight until the moment when they are going to get maximum leverage from their investment. They will be following browser adoption curves and keeping one eye on the competition. They do not want to get the message home only for Joe Public to be turned off because it does not resolve. OK they are not looking for 100%, but they need to be near 30% with the curve rising steeply.

bwhhisc
12th December 2006, 11:41 PM
Yes, you have it. Advertiser are not going to blow their wad on IDN before the browser support is out there. They are going to hold tight until the moment when they are going to get maximum leverage from their investment. They will be following browser adoption curves and keeping one eye on the competition. They do not want to get the message home only for Joe Public to be turned off because it does not resolve. OK they are not looking for 100%, but they need to be near 30% with the curve rising steeply.

To download IE7 you have to have at Microsoft XP installed.

Those running Windows 2000 or below, what are their options to resolve IDNs if they cant afford to upgrade to XP to get their free IE7. This may be the case for many, and what options do they have without spending money to buy XP?

touchring
13th December 2006, 02:58 AM

Unless they are not using MSN messenger. There are signs that microsoft is blocking MSN users on 2000 from talking to people using MSN Live, which works only on XP.

Rubber Duck
13th December 2006, 09:07 AM

Those running Windows 2000 or below, what are their options to resolve IDNs if they cant afford to upgrade to XP to get their free IE7. This may be the case for many, and what options do they have without spending money to buy XP?

From our perspective, I don't think this is a major issue. The numbers still using 2000 and 98 are actually quite low and as a percentage will be even lower in the Asia, as those in emerging economies either generally bought their systems much later. Most of the legacy junk will be in Europe and the US.

TrafficDomainer
14th December 2006, 01:12 AM
From our perspective, I don't think this is a major issue. The numbers still using 2000 and 98 are actually quite low and as a percentage will be even lower in the Asia, as those in emerging economies either generally bought their systems much later. Most of the legacy junk will be in Europe and the US.

This is absolutely true. XP installation is about 90% in Thailand at the moment, whereas in the West it's about 70% or so. Since the majority of the computers in Thailand do not use genuine XP, I suspect major IE7 downloads in Thailand will only happen once the cracked version is out or when people start buying new computers with Vista installed. So for the majority of the people, if their computers are working well, they are not likely going to upgrade them as of yet. Hence I agree with Domain Guru that it will take a while before we see wide spread adoption of IE7 in Thailand. It will eventiually happen but it will be gradual. I believe this applies to most of the Asian countries as well, perhaps to a lesser extent in Japan. However, the situation could be different if Microsoft heavily promotes the security features of IE7, some Thais may rush to get IE7 as soon as the cracked version is out.

ScottFish
14th December 2006, 03:50 AM
I agree with you rubber duck.... there def is some "leap frog" in technology that happens when you have later adopters.