PDA

View Full Version : What language is this? Greek, latine?

JohnA
11th December 2006, 03:02 AM
I have this: xn--glf-9yc.com (golf.com)?

I need to find out what lanuage this is for.

Im new to this.:eek:

what do I do with this?

Rubber Duck
11th December 2006, 03:10 AM
I have this: xn--glf-9yc.com (golf.com)?

I need to find out what lanuage this is for.

Im new to this.:eek:

what do I do with this?

This domain has no value except for attempts at fraud. The O is the greek Omicron. It is mixed script. It means nothing and is worth nothing.

JohnA
11th December 2006, 03:42 AM
what should be done?

Rubber Duck
11th December 2006, 04:06 AM
Well setting up a website would be ill advised. You will get no natural type-in and people won't be able to use the URL to get back to your website.

The term << gοlf >> as it actually is has almost no web content and will not be searched. Your site would simply get no traffic.

The only way you could get people to your site is by sending them and email with a dodgy link which would appear to show them Golf.com which is no doubt a reputable site. This is phishing and it is fraud.

Messing about like this could end up costing you everything you own.

This domain could not be registered today, will almost certainly not resolve in the near future, and will probably be deleted shortly.

You don't actually need to do anything except forget it, unless you paid good money for it, in which case you need to go after the fraudster that sold it to you. I would suggest a 3 Iron myself.

burnsinternet
11th December 2006, 08:10 AM
Is it really any different than g0lf.com (with a zero instead of an 'o'), RD?

True, you will get no type-in traffic. Also, IE7 will not resolve the punycode, so only xn--glf-9yc.com will be seen in the address bar.

Rubber Duck
11th December 2006, 09:05 AM
Is it really any different than g0lf.com (with a zero instead of an 'o'), RD?

True, you will get no type-in traffic. Also, IE7 will not resolve the punycode, so only xn--glf-9yc.com will be seen in the address bar.

It maybe in as much as the registery is like to delete it. Having said that there would be a strong case for deleting g0lf as well!

burnsinternet
11th December 2006, 11:08 AM
I think the same argument could be made for any mixed script domains. However, I have several legitimate & legal mixed script domains that have an IE7 problem. I don't see a threat of deletion. We just can't register them anymore.

If the owner of g0lf dot com likes that address, then let him/her keep it. It just isn't very valuable. Same with this domain. Just because it isn't great doesn't mean it should be deleted.