PDA

View Full Version : Dopa Parking

Prodigy
12th December 2006, 10:44 AM
I think this is an important issue that needs to be discussed... My portfolio traffic has droped from 3 didgit days to a trickle of 5 (yesterday)...

What is going on?
Are they pulling the wool over our eyes?

Do we have an alternative?

I'd like to hear from all you Dopa users... lets figure something out here because IMHO, Dopa is just biting at the moment.

Drewbert
12th December 2006, 08:20 PM
OK. Here's the latest, from Gary Krall, the i-Nav plugin tech dir at Verisign:

1. The inav team worked with MS once it was discovered the plugin disrupted ie7. Apparently it only causes a problem dring install of ie7. When ie7 restarts, it disables the plug-in and pops up a warning that the plugin requires updating. If the user clicks "check for updates" button, they get this page

http://idn.verisign-grs.com/plug-in/ie7/english.html

2. Verisign confirms that China is blocking access to idn.verisign-grs.com but that the plug-in works fine without having access to the website (apart from the check for updates mentioned above).

So, although dopa's traffic graph matches the verisign-grs.com traffic graph fairly well, Verisign deny that China blokcing their site if affecting IDN domain resolution in China.

So it's back to the drawing board.

Rubber Duck
12th December 2006, 10:17 PM
Well my guess is that ISP resolution that didn't require a plug in has been disabled now that IE7 is available, possibly due to conflicts. I guess the traffic levels have dropped but should now grow steadily. Having said that I am around the other side of the globe and don't have a clue what is going on. It is disappointing that we are not getting more imput from those that are locally based.

OK. Here's the latest, from Gary Krall, the i-Nav plugin tech dir at Verisign:

1. The inav team worked with MS once it was discovered the plugin disrupted ie7. Apparently it only causes a problem dring install of ie7. When ie7 restarts, it disables the plug-in and pops up a warning that the plugin requires updating. If the user clicks "check for updates" button, they get this page

http://idn.verisign-grs.com/plug-in/ie7/english.html

2. Verisign confirms that China is blocking access to idn.verisign-grs.com but that the plug-in works fine without having access to the website (apart from the check for updates mentioned above).

So, although dopa's traffic graph matches the verisign-grs.com traffic graph fairly well, Verisign deny that China blokcing their site if affecting IDN domain resolution in China.

So it's back to the drawing board.

Giant
16th December 2006, 02:47 PM
The low traffic is caused by inav problem. I can't reach my Japanese domains at Name Drive with my IE6+inav. Clearly, it has nothing to do with China's blocking.

Traffic is low at this time but IDN is gaining a lot of ground...

Rubber Duck
16th December 2006, 03:36 PM
The low traffic is caused by inav problem. I can't reach my Japanese domains at Name Drive with my IE6+inav. Clearly, it has nothing to do with China's blocking.

Traffic is low at this time but IDN is gaining a lot of ground...

Perhaps a security update to IE6 Clashes with the Verisign Pluggin?

Giant
16th December 2006, 07:18 PM
Perhaps a security update to IE6 Clashes with the Verisign Pluggin?

Yes, I think so.

touchring
16th December 2006, 07:31 PM
Still puzzling in my opinion, how would everyone suddenly apply the security update at the same time, and the reason for the sudden spike?

Traffic fell off the cliff on 2006-10-26, shot up 10 times from 2006-11-11 to 2006-11-14, and down again. Pls refer to SC stats to have a good feel of the fall and spikes.

I suspect this has more to do with search engine indexing, but i have yet to find a way to verify since i've not really tracked my Chinese IDN SERP on Baidu or Yahoo.

But well, i might be wrong as well. :)

Rubber Duck
16th December 2006, 07:31 PM
Yes, I think so.

Well if it is a clash between inav and IE6, we have absolutely nothing to worry about. Both will be history very soon!

Still puzzling in my opinion, how would everyone suddenly apply the security update at the same time, and the reason for the sudden spike?

Traffic fell off the cliff on 2006-10-26, shot up 10 times from 2006-11-11 to 2006-11-14, and down again. Pls refer to SC stats to have a good feel of the fall and spikes.

I suspect this has more to do with search engine indexing, but i have yet to find a way to verify since i've not really tracked my Chinese IDN SERP on Baidu or Yahoo.

High Priority Auto Update Security Patches are generally applied at the same time. That is how it works.

I don't believe that traffic was predominately search. I have seen no evidence to date of prominent search rankings for Chinese.

touchring
16th December 2006, 07:55 PM
Well if it is a clash between inav and IE6, we have absolutely nothing to worry about. Both will be history very soon!

High Priority Auto Update Security Patches are generally applied at the same time. That is how it works.

I don't believe that traffic was predominately search. I have seen no evidence to date of prominent search rankings for Chinese.

Ok, i-nav is also used by people in Europe and Japan, i believe, more than Chinese users.

Like everyone here, i also hope that the i-nav bottleneck can explain the situation. :)