PDA

View Full Version : are .jp cheaper for the Japanese?

13th December 2006, 09:48 PM
If you're a Japanese person and living in Japan would it be cheaper than it is if you're not living in the country? I mean is it like around 8 bucks for japanese people like our .coms? :confused:

Rubber Duck
13th December 2006, 09:52 PM
If you're a Japanese person and living in Japan would it be cheaper than it is if you're not living in the country? I mean is it like around 8 bucks for japanese people like our .coms? :confused:

You will probably get the best deal at jp-domains.com. They seem to get around the requirement for a Japanese address and prices have come down a lot. I am not saying you cannot get them cheaper elsewhere, but this is where most westerner have regged their IDN.

13th December 2006, 09:54 PM
Well I mean is it the same price whether your Japanese or your foreign? Maybe that site charges more cuz they let you use their address.

Rubber Duck
13th December 2006, 10:07 PM

I think it is generally much the same price, but to get the best deals you will probably need to use a Japanese interface and provide a Japanese address, because it is likely that best offers are not present on English language sites that provide a Japanese address to the Registry.

bwhhisc
13th December 2006, 10:27 PM
You will probably get the best deal at jp-domains.com. They seem to get around the requirement for a Japanese address and prices have come down a lot. I am not saying you cannot get them cheaper elsewhere, but this is where most westerner have regged their IDN.

JP domains has a special for IDNF members with 2 for 1 .jp IDNs at $20 each (2 for $40). If you only want to register 1, then you still pay $40, and they refund you $20.

jp-domains.com is the only place that I know of to register .jp if you are not Japanese, and the manager, Michael Yukai is quick to respond to emails etc.

I think someone posted that .jps are registered to nationals at between $8 and $12 each.

domainguru
13th December 2006, 10:39 PM
JP domains has a special for IDNF members with 2 for 1 .jp IDNs at $20 each (2 for $40). If you only want to register 1, then you still pay $40, and they refund you $20.

jp-domains.com is the only place that I know of to register .jp if you are not Japanese, and the manager, Michael Yukai is quick to respond to emails etc.

I think someone posted that .jps are registered to nationals at between $8 and $12 each.

The alternative being of course to move to Japan and just pay $10 per reg. But I suspect you will find paying $20 per name the cheaper option, at least until you have a few thousand names :)

blastfromthepast
14th December 2006, 12:48 AM
http://internationalizeddomain.com/Japanese/onsenyunohanasign.jpg

ケースバイケース:

① Japanese price: ¥640.
② Foreigner price: $20 at JP-Domains.

Should you qualify to get the ¥640 price, you may want to still to transfer to JP-Domains (http://idn.jp-domains.net/), afterwards, because their renewal rates are lower in any case.

bwhhisc
14th December 2006, 12:53 AM
http://www.debito.org/onsenyunohanasign.jpgケースバイケース:
① Japanese price: ¥640.
② Foreigner price: $20 at JP-Domains.
The thing to do afterwards, if you can get the ¥640 price, you may want to still to transfer to JP-Domains (http://idn.jp-domains.net/), afterwards, because their renewal rates are lower in any case.

How do you pay them and Credit Cards or Paypal accepted?

blastfromthepast
14th December 2006, 12:57 AM
How do you pay them and Credit Cards or Paypal accepted?

Yes, even 'not-issued-in-Japan' credit cards work, although the processing system sometimes stalls on weekends. PayPal is not accepted.

No English interface is provided, obviously. I just checked my statements for last month, and at the current exchange rates, it works out to about $5.40 a domain.