PDA

View Full Version : Firefox allows IDNs to be entered WITHOUT switching keys

touchring
14th December 2006, 06:06 AM
Can someone with contacts with Microsoft's IE7 developer tell them about this feature.

I mean, there's no need to switch keys - which means, it's even better than ASCII - since a Japanese guy, for example, must switch to ASCII and then back to input kakaku.com. But if he is using Firefox, he does NOT need to switch keys to input 価格.com.

We've got thousands of posts here hoping to "move" or "commercialize" the IDN market magically, but yet this is one simple act that can do the job without extraordinary efforts.

If it takes lesser number of steps to type in a URL in native code than in ASCII, IDN will fly even if its feet are bound with weights.

Rubber Duck
14th December 2006, 06:21 AM
Can someone with contacts with Microsoft's IE7 developer tell them about this feature.

I mean, there's no need to switch keys - which means, it's even better than ASCII - since a Japanese guy, for example, must switch to ASCII and then back to input kakaku.com. But if he is using Firefox, he does NOT need to switch keys to input 価格.com.

We've got thousands of posts here hoping to "move" or "commercialize" the IDN market magically, but yet this is one simple act that can do the job without extraordinary efforts.

If it takes lesser number of steps to type in a URL in native code than in ASCII, IDN will fly even if its feet are bound with weights.

I think we will need a bit more of an explanation as to what you are talking about. I have read this but frankly don't understand it. As I do not have a bi-lingual keyboard, I am also unable to do meaningful experiments.

touchring
14th December 2006, 06:26 AM
I think we will need a bit more of an explanation as to what you are talking about. I have read this but frankly don't understand it. As I do not have a bi-lingual keyboard, I am also unable to do meaningful experiments.

Ok, i thought of doing a screen capture, but the screen capture won't capture my keyboard.

Here's the experience, works with Chinese at least:

Firefox:
Typing Chinese 啦啦啦... -> Go to Address bar -> Type "重庆.com" Enter -> Typing Chinese again 啦啦啦...

IE7:
Typing Chinese 啦啦啦... -> Go to Address bar -> type 重庆 -> Alt-Shift -> Type '.com' Enter -> Alt-Shift -> Typing Chinese again 啦啦啦...

ASCII is the same for Both IE7 and Firefox:
Typing Chinese 啦啦啦... -> Go to Address bar -> Alt-Shift -> type "chongqing.com" Enter -> Alt-Shift -> Typing Chinese again 啦啦啦...

Rubber Duck
14th December 2006, 06:34 AM

I take it you are using Pinyin input mode, so you aren't you effectively already in ASCII mode and just skipping the conversion for the extension?

Would these work equally well for someone using Wubi?

Of course the other problem is that Firefox won't display for dot com anyway. Does this work for dot CN, which Firefox would display? And has anyone in China ever heard of Firefox?

touchring
14th December 2006, 06:38 AM
I take it you are using Pinyin input mode, so you aren't you effectively already in ASCII mode and just skipping the conversion for the extension?

Would these work equally well for someone using Wubi?

Of course the other problem is that Firefox won't display for dot com anyway. Does this work for dot CN, which Firefox would display? And has anyone in China ever heard of Firefox?

It works the same for Wubi, i just checked that out. Pinyin is the most common input method in China.

It works for .cn, .biz, .net, .moby also.

Rubber Duck
14th December 2006, 06:41 AM
It works the same for Wubi, i just checked that out. Pinyin is the most common input method in China.

It works for .cn, .biz, .net, .moby also.

I can't see you Chinese using dot mobi much if you cannot spell it :p :p

jose
14th December 2006, 06:50 AM
My Mobile Phone does the same when I am dialing.

As the numbers and some letters use the same keys, it chooses what makes more sense: if I am typing the name of a friend or a numeric phone. And only makes than decision when the input data allows it to do it.

Is that what you're talking about?

touchring
14th December 2006, 06:51 AM
Pinyin input method has about 70-80% marketshare - http://www.yesky.com/116/197616.shtml

My Mobile Phone does the same when I am dialing.

As the numbers and some letters use the same keys, it chooses what makes more sense: if I am typing the name of a friend or a numeric phone. And only makes than decision when the input data allows it to do it.

Is that what you're talking about?

No need to think until so complicated, basically, Firefox supports IDNs without the need to switch key.

bramiozo
14th December 2006, 07:01 AM
Firefox just recognizes the "dot", nothing special but it helps the native speakers deal with the current situation much better...assuming there will be a new situation.

Rubber Duck
14th December 2006, 07:06 AM
Firefox just recognizes the "dot", nothing special but it helps the native speakers deal with the current situation much better...assuming there will be a new situation.

Well there is another can of worms. Which dot does Firefox recognise for Chinese?

Pinyin input method has about 70-80% marketshare - http://www.yesky.com/116/197616.shtml

Yes, but this information predates the invention of the Wubi Keyboard, as far as I can tell. It is well over 5 years out of date!

touchring
14th December 2006, 08:01 AM

You can say that way, but it can make a great of difference for type-ins, especially for chinese Pinyin (used by younger generation), the difference between a Pinyin domain and chinese domain for many words is just the Alt-Shift key.

For example, Beijing is typed beijing1 in Pinyin. So if the fellow wants to enter beijing.com, but forgets the Alt-Shift, it becomes the chinese domain equivalent of 北京.com. Henceforth, the idn equivalent will be get typo traffic from beijing.com.

And for natural usage, it will be easier to enter chinese using firefox and to enter ascii since no key switching is required throughout the entire process. One got to realize that to enter an ASCII, chinese users got to switch key in the first place. The fact that Firefox allows chinese users to input chinese domains without switching key will effective place ascii domains at a disadvantage in comparison to IDN!

markits
14th December 2006, 02:02 PM
Touch,
That's indeed a good find!

touchring
14th December 2006, 02:09 PM
Touch,
That's indeed a good find!

huh? i thought everyone here who types in chinese and uses firefox knows about this? oh, but thks. :)

Rubber Duck
14th December 2006, 02:47 PM
huh? i thought everyone here who types in chinese and uses firefox knows about this? oh, but thks. :)

Sorry, but I think all this is a red herring.

Firefox has virtually no status in China and is unlikely to in view of the publicity being given to IE7.

I also think Giant was right when he asserted that the existing ASCII .com extension is no real impediment to adoption of IDN. IDN.IDN will come, but on a scale of 1 to 10, IE7 is probably right up there at 9 and what ICANN messing about with is probably 1 maybe 2.

touchring
14th December 2006, 03:13 PM
Sorry, but I think all this is a red herring.

Firefox has virtually no status in China and is unlikely to in view of the publicity being given to IE7.

I also think Giant was right when he asserted that the existing ASCII .com extension is no real impediment to adoption of IDN. IDN.IDN will come, but on a scale of 1 to 10, IE7 is probably right up there at 9 and what ICANN messing about with is probably 1 maybe 2.

As one who types idn.com often (not cut and paste) - i do that at least a few times a day to check on my domains, there is a difference.

Maybe i'm a lazy guy, i like shortcuts. Overtime, people overcome habits and go for the shorter way.

Now that markits knows about the 'firefox trick', he'll just hit .com right away.

Of cos, that only firefox supports this is nothing, and the intention of my post is for someone with good contacts with the lead IE7 developer to tell them about this firefox feature.

Yes, one more thing, this dot recognition happens only in the address bar. It doesn't work when you search google.

Drewbert
14th December 2006, 04:31 PM
Interesting.

I agree - it would be good to suggest to the IE7 dev team to do the same thing. Can that be done on their blog?

But just make it so it can be switched off when IDN.IDN launches! (whoops! Standby for tangental posts)

touchring
14th December 2006, 04:36 PM
Interesting.

I agree - it would be good to suggest to the IE7 dev team to do the same thing. Can that be done on their blog?

But just make it so it can be switched off when IDN.IDN launches! (whoops! Standby for tangental posts)

It doesn't affect IDN.IDN, because there's no pinyin 'net', 'com', 'cn', 'biz' or 'moby'.