PDA

View Full Version : Just saying G'day

Oz.
20th December 2006, 03:17 PM
Some people may know me from TRAFFIC Forum and Conferences. Have been a member since (almost) day 1 - back 4-5 years now.

I am an (english).com domainer at heart, currently living in Tokyo (moved here from Australia) - working holiday (isn't the Internet beautiful, you can work from anywhere).

So, I may start looking in to these IDN domains..I had a few ages ago, but let them expire when nothing happened. Now things certainly look a lot more promising.

mulligan
20th December 2006, 03:23 PM
Hi Oz, welcome aboard..
Best grab a couple of IDNs while there's still a few about ... :)

Prodigy
20th December 2006, 03:25 PM
Welcome Oz!

Good Japanese domains are few and far between nowadays, although you might want to check out the .jp scene... still a good few gems left in there if you dig far enough!

Fka200
20th December 2006, 03:28 PM
I must say, you do have to dig a little bit to find some worthy names, but there are a few out there. There has been a huge increase (at least to me) in terms of registration within the last 2 months. I used to search and I can get 1/5 names that I searched for for reg fee... but now its like 1/15... ;) goodluck!

*** Also, traffic has risen a lot since the release of IE7 --- compared to October/Sept.

Rubber Duck
20th December 2006, 03:31 PM
Hi OZ, welcome aboard.

Contrary to popular opinion I have nothing against English dot Coms. I just woke up to the fact that I would probably never own anything half decent.

You will find this forum an excellent resource, but it would also be worth checking out DNlocal.

If you need any pointers please feel free to ask.

Some people may know me from TRAFFIC Forum and Conferences. Have been a member since (almost) day 1 - back 4-5 years now.

I am an (english).com domainer at heart, currently living in Tokyo (moved here from Australia) - working holiday (isn't the Internet beautiful, you can work from anywhere).

So, I may start looking in to these IDN domains..I had a few ages ago, but let them expire when nothing happened. Now things certainly look a lot more promising.

Oz.
20th December 2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I agree. I think I know a few of those who are guilty of the shortage of Japanese language domains.

Thanks for the welcome.

touchring
20th December 2006, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Oz.]working holiday (isn't the Internet beautiful, you can work from anywhere).[QUOTE]

Wow,do you mean you live off domains?

Rubber Duck
20th December 2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I agree. I think I know a few of those who are guilty of the shortage of Japanese language domains.

Thanks for the welcome.

Edwin showed all how to mine by hand on an industrial scale.

Oz.
20th December 2006, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=Oz.]working holiday (isn't the Internet beautiful, you can work from anywhere).[QUOTE]

Yeap. Developing them now.

Edwin showed all how to mine by hand on an industrial scale.
Yeah, that was one of the names I had in mind :)

yanni
20th December 2006, 05:59 PM
Hey Oz,

Welcome. Long time no talk. Nice to see you here man!

So are you in Japan for good, or back and forth to Oz?

Why Touch? Aren't you?

thegenius1
20th December 2006, 06:05 PM

Welcome aboard OZ awesome to have you on deck with us !

Cheers Genius

touchring
20th December 2006, 06:20 PM
Hey Oz,

Welcome. Long time no talk. Nice to see you here man!

So are you in Japan for good, or back and forth to Oz?

Why Touch? Aren't you?

Only partly, traffic has to rise another 8-10 times before i can live off domains - after factoring in possible falls in AVG PPC due to Google.

yanni
20th December 2006, 06:43 PM
Only partly, traffic has to rise another 8-10 times before i can live off domains - after factoring in possible falls in AVG PPC due to Google.

So, hopefully, within the next couple of years :)

touchring
20th December 2006, 06:52 PM
So, hopefully, within the next couple of years :)

Yes, can be speeded up with development, but i dont' really trust that the SERP can sustain.

yanni
20th December 2006, 08:59 PM
Yes, can be speeded up with development, but i dont' really trust that the SERP can sustain.

Yes, I'm with you on SERP but you could be making a few extra thou a month if you have the time and resources to develop a few of them.

Test drive one of your names with decent daily traffic, put up some content and adsense or ypn and compare the income difference after a month or so.

I haven't done it with idn yet, but with some asciis that were getting low ctr and ppc on parking, and they're doing pretty well as one-page adsense minisites.
I think IDN will do so much better this way, especially since the surfer will be looking at some real content instead of some UN-targeted ppc page.

How many idns do you have now, touch?

thegenius1
20th December 2006, 09:47 PM
I haven't done it with idn yet, but with some asciis that were getting low ctr and ppc on parking, and they're doing pretty well as one-page adsense minisites.
I think IDN will do so much better this way, especially since the surfer will be looking at some real content instead of some UN-targeted ppc page.

Yes there are some really nice IDN adsense mini site success stories that have been posted on the board recently. To my knowledge mainly in the Japanese market because as of right now they are dependent on using se's. Oz I have had better experience with one page sites over parking but Name Drive has the best parking program for IDN's in my opinion and the ads are Geo-Targeted. If you are going to be taking a splash back into the International side of things i would highly suggest you get a account over at N.D if you dont have one already. http://www.namedrive.com/?ref=41242iL (disclaimer :affiliate link :) )

blastfromthepast
20th December 2006, 10:57 PM
If you are going to be taking a splash back into the International side of things i would highly suggest you get a account over at (disclaimer :affiliate link )

That said, don't forget about .jp domain registrations over at JP-Domains (http://idn.jp-domains.net/). :p

Yes there are some really nice IDN adsense mini site success stories that have been posted on the board recently.

IDN minisites are definately the way to go, due to good search placement in Yahoo Japan.

markits
21st December 2006, 02:26 AM
G'day Oz, welcome aboard,

Do you know the secret of finding worthy Japanese domains to reg or buy them from other members cheaply? Well, the only secret is that keep this forum secret and don't introduce IDNs to your fellow English domainers.

Olney
21st December 2006, 04:06 AM
Hey Oz
Welcome I really like to know which great names you let slip out & who owns them now.
But if that's confidential welcome to the board...

Edwin
21st December 2006, 06:40 AM
Hey, good to see you on here! LMK if you need some IDN-hunting tips (it's all in old posts somewhere, I think)

touchring
21st December 2006, 07:01 AM
Yes, I'm with you on SERP but you could be making a few extra thou a month if you have the time and resources to develop a few of them.

Test drive one of your names with decent daily traffic, put up some content and adsense or ypn and compare the income difference after a month or so.

How many idns do you have now, touch?

I got about 900 names. They are doing fine, mostly, except the Chinese names that crashed at Dopa. I'm still trying to figure out if there was a shady deal going on.