PDA

View Full Version : Projects vs. Parking

dabsi
21st December 2006, 07:35 AM
It's not late for us to recognize that if you have a good generic domain avoid any parking-cimetery but develop it.

We had a USD 13,90 click yesterday with a minisite (in relation to finance).

As IDN minipage, maghrébine.com (http://www.xn--maghrbine-f4a.com) is generating enough to subsidize 10 'weak' IDNs.

DABSI

Bimbo
21st December 2006, 07:59 AM
kiss

Fka200
21st December 2006, 08:10 AM
I want to start developing some websites, but am still haunted by what another forum member posted a while ago -- that subdomain hosting is not good. I have both Hostgator and Hostpc, and not really sure which one is better, but have 1 host on hostgator,and a couple VERY mini projects going on hostpc just to avoid the subdomain hosting. Can any experts give some opinions on baby steps in getting a good host, cost effective, and basically something good for "SEO" (Olney? :) ). [ subdomain hosting is bad for seo supposedly, and it makes perfect sense]. I appreciate any info ;) Also... my adsense ads arent showing on my computer for some reason... but i checked on a proxy and it was working which was weird. Can someone maybe check for me ??

http://www.xn--mgbbdnjp2a6jb7a3a.com/

still a project due to being bored and learning though any info will be very helpful

Bimbo
21st December 2006, 08:13 AM
kiss

blastfromthepast
21st December 2006, 08:58 AM
Also... my adsense ads arent showing on my computer for some reason... but i checked on a proxy and it was working which was weird. Can someone maybe check for me ??

AdSense ads take time to charge up.

mulligan
21st December 2006, 09:18 AM
I want to start developing some websites, but am still haunted by what another forum member posted a while ago -- that subdomain hosting is not good. I have both Hostgator and Hostpc, and not really sure which one is better, but have 1 host on hostgator,and a couple VERY mini projects going on hostpc just to avoid the subdomain hosting. Can any experts give some opinions on baby steps in getting a good host, cost effective, and basically something good for "SEO" (Olney? :) ). [ subdomain hosting is bad for seo supposedly, and it makes perfect sense]. I appreciate any info ;) Also... my adsense ads arent showing on my computer for some reason... but i checked on a proxy and it was working which was weird. Can someone maybe check for me ??

http://www.xn--mgbbdnjp2a6jb7a3a.com/

still a project due to being bored and learning though any info will be very helpful
I cant see your google ads either.
I noticed from your page source that you have:

//2006-12-20: BoursatAlKhaleej

stuck in the middle of the adsense code, is it meant to be there?

My ads usually show up withing seconds of upload...

Your page is also stretching the screen for me

Olney
21st December 2006, 09:32 AM
I cant see your google ads either.
I noticed from your page source that you have:

//2006-12-20: BoursatAlKhaleej

That is normal now...
It's good to get familiar with adsense once in a while the release a few new features that might have gone unnoticed by the general public.

I'm pretty biased because I got into domaining to develop. About 7 of my 22 minisites with ads rank 15 or better for the keyword. I'm even using domains for case studies in my work so I can get Japanese staff to write good content for them.

If there is no proof people won't listen. I'm in the middle of developing a domain that should get some good traffic & attention here.

burnsinternet
21st December 2006, 02:33 PM
How much should I expect to pay to buy a generic mini-site? I have no idea where to start developing in some languages.

It would also take me quite a while to build x,xxx mini-sites. Is it better to use mini-sites for the best names or the worst names?

21st December 2006, 04:35 PM
It's not late for us to recognize that if you have a good generic domain avoid any parking-cimetery but develop it.

We had a USD 13,90 click yesterday with a minisite (in relation to finance).

As IDN minipage, maghrébine.com (http://www.xn--maghrbine-f4a.com) is generating enough to subsidize 10 'weak' IDNs.

DABSI

At least try to put just a little more information on the site, all I can see is adsense.

touchring
21st December 2006, 06:15 PM
At least try to put just a little more information on the site, all I can see is adsense.

This is an infringement, both domain and account risk being banned.

alpha
21st December 2006, 07:06 PM
How much should I expect to pay to buy a generic mini-site? I have no idea where to start developing in some languages.

It would also take me quite a while to build x,xxx mini-sites. Is it better to use mini-sites for the best names or the worst names?

Burns,

I have approx 30 mini sites up now. some are just simple one page Adsense pages that Blast knocked up for me on the cheap, some have video streams coming in, and some are a little more complicated and interlinked with one another.

I selected what i believed to be the "biggest names" to do this on, so what have i learnt?

I still believe the traffic we are seeing is accidental or random in most cases, as the results are a mixed bag. For example, on all the prefectures I have, i havent had a single click in 3 months. But then they are Japanese, but even on some of the others, where you'd expect to get traffic there isnt any, and where you least expect it, there is some.

as i said, from what i have seen it is a lottery, and i believe that this is due mainly to random or accidental traffic.

If you have a sizeable portfolio, where do you start?

well if you have names getting a lot of views and no clicks, then it cant hurt to throw the dice and develop them and see if it changes the CTR. But if you are looking to increase the traffic, everything i have seen so far tells me it's a lottery.

JMO of course.

touchring
21st December 2006, 08:10 PM
as i said, from what i have seen it is a lottery, and i believe that this is due mainly to random or accidental traffic.

This is not lottery, there are many factors that determine SERP (Search Engine Ranking Position).

1. Number of competitive website for that keyword versus searches for that keyword. Usually, the bigger the keyword (the more websites there are), the harder to get an effective ranking. A domain with few websites and large volume of searches (particularly with extension) will generate the best SERP potential.

2. SEO - notice how some of us are posting their IDN links on the forums - it's part of SEO and getting a good SERP. How the page is designed, the page titles will also affect SEO. Linking will also bring in traffic.

We'd often find people talking about the $xxx they earn from one or two websites they got - but what they fail to talk about is the promotion and marketing work they did before the SERP came in.

Often SEO is used to pump up traffic (this can be done quite easily with an hour of work over one or two weeks), and then the domain is sold based on that, and after sometime, maybe two months or a year (if you are lucky), Google changes it's algo and the traffic disappears.

In conclusion, what makes money from minisite is not the domain (although, it does affect SERP a little), but the SEO.

Bimbo
21st December 2006, 08:27 PM
kiss

dabsi
21st December 2006, 08:44 PM
in some languages many (not only IDN) names are still free; if you have a good generic one ( or combined double name such as egyptinsurance.com) just develop minisites as they are S.E.A.O (search. engine.already.optimized).

Dabsi

yanni
21st December 2006, 08:54 PM

Go to scriptlance or getafreelancer or elance and pay about $5 for a 200-300 word article, put it up on the site, strategically add adsense and you're done.

I would try this first with domains already receiving some traffic to quickly evaluate the difference between this approach and ppc.

Worry about SEO (for less trafficed domains) later. If you can take a name that's earning a couple of bucks a month on ppc and make it earn a couple of bucks daily, I say you're in the right path.

bramiozo
21st December 2006, 09:03 PM
Burns,

I have approx 30 mini sites up now. some are just simple one page Adsense pages that Blast knocked up for me on the cheap, some have video streams coming in, and some are a little more complicated and interlinked with one another.

I selected what i believed to be the "biggest names" to do this on, so what have i learnt?

I still believe the traffic we are seeing is accidental or random in most cases, as the results are a mixed bag. For example, on all the prefectures I have, i havent had a single click in 3 months. But then they are Japanese, but even on some of the others, where you'd expect to get traffic there isnt any, and where you least expect it, there is some.

If you have a sizeable portfolio, where do you start?

well if you have names getting a lot of views and no clicks, then it cant hurt to throw the dice and develop them and see if it changes the CTR. But if you are looking to increase the traffic, everything i have seen so far tells me it's a lottery.

JMO of course.

Do you have one favorite jumping out ?

If the effort put in 30 names is concentrated on 1 name you may just find the difference you're looking for.

Olney
22nd December 2006, 12:13 AM
I would suggest doing a few link trades. Rhys has been really good on requesting links & doing link trading. Most of us doing link trading are doing it with related sites to boost rankings. I think by now Rhys probably has more domains ranking on the first page of Yahoo than me. His product domains that rank on the first page for the keyword especially before Christmas should be doing well.

I have one product that is at #11 (first position on the second page) it's getting at least $3 or $4 a day & I think if I reduce the number of ad spots it will make more.