PDA

View Full Version : New Years Resolution

alpha
22nd December 2006, 08:34 PM
How about sellers making a New Years Resolution to stop peddling the .nets

bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored

I am so bored with seeing endless lists of .net's

bring out the .coms

bring out the .jps

bring out the .cns

Fka200
22nd December 2006, 09:11 PM
Not bored ;) I'm willing to buy .nets... i listed wanted arabic idns, but didnt get many offers

Rubber Duck
22nd December 2006, 09:12 PM
I brought out Christmas dot com in Russian. Put it up with a reserve of $1000 only to have no interest shown at all. I subsequently withdrew only to be low balled afterwards.

The prices being offered currently only warrant the wheeling out of dot nets.

If you want dot coms you are going to have to up the anti!

thegenius1
22nd December 2006, 09:42 PM
If you want dot coms you are going to have to up the anti!

Mr. Duck Don't forget about jp.s :)

Rubber Duck
22nd December 2006, 10:03 PM
Mr. Duck Don't forget about jp.s :)

I am not motivated to sell those at all at the moment, mainly because I have so few it would further imbalance my risk. Those that I do have are considered to be high calibre.

Frankly, buyers are just pissing around at the moment. Sellers are not selling, seller don't appear to be dropping anything valuable, indeed most dot com holders have never even contemplated selling. The sellers that have put decent dot coms up for sale can probably be counted on one hand. If those guys are loosing interest in the whole idea of selling dot coms and buyers are playing a waiting game, then we are all going to have to wait until something snaps.

The presumption is that is would be the sellers that would crack, but the indications would appear to suggest that it is actually the buyers that getting the most frustated.

burnsinternet
22nd December 2006, 10:22 PM
I have a feeling that you'll see a lot of domains for sale in the next few months. Reg fees will be hitting a lot of people by March. Even though they will be getting better PPC income, some people are overextended. The good stats but low PPC domains will be selling - especially Asian language IDNs, I believe. Autoupdate may come too late for some out there, and they will be forced to sell or drop.

How many of us dropped IDNs after they came out because no one could see them? Back then it seemed like a great idea, until we started getting $35 renewal fees and no visitors. This time, we will see impatient and/or overextended investors selling to make renewal fees. I saw that last year when little good news was out about IDNing. I saw, for example, good single letter dot nets sell for a few dollars because IDNF members would not buy them.

For such a virtuous, patient group, I am seeing a lot of impatience the last few months. If sellers won't sell top domains: OK. If buyers won't pay for top domains: OK. It won't be like this for long. This has been a long journey and some have turned back. Most are rowing boats and sailing ships and searching for land. It is risky and rocky and we all knew that was the case.

Rubber Duck
22nd December 2006, 10:51 PM
I have a feeling that you'll see a lot of domains for sale in the next few months. Reg fees will be hitting a lot of people by March. Even though they will be getting better PPC income, some people are overextended. The good stats but low PPC domains will be selling - especially Asian language IDNs, I believe. Autoupdate may come too late for some out there, and they will be forced to sell or drop.

How many of us dropped IDNs after they came out because no one could see them? Back then it seemed like a great idea, until we started getting $35 renewal fees and no visitors. This time, we will see impatient and/or overextended investors selling to make renewal fees. I saw that last year when little good news was out about IDNing. I saw, for example, good single letter dot nets sell for a few dollars because IDNF members would not buy them.

For such a virtuous, patient group, I am seeing a lot of impatience the last few months. If sellers won't sell top domains: OK. If buyers won't pay for top domains: OK. It won't be like this for long. This has been a long journey and some have turned back. Most are rowing boats and sailing ships and searching for land. It is risky and rocky and we all knew that was the case.

So if that is the case why are sellers moaning that they are not seeing anything for sale that they want to buy.

Sellers will drop or sell the mediocre stuff. The expectation that they are just going to hand over the Crown Jewels for a few dollars is just not realistic.

Actually, I was thinking earlier what would happen if I dropped a few blockbusters through the Snap system? But the basic problem would be it would be next summer before anything would go through the system.

alpha
22nd December 2006, 10:56 PM
I am not motivated to sell those at all at the moment, mainly because I have so few it would further imbalance my risk. Those that I do have are considered to be high calibre.

Frankly, buyers are just pissing around at the moment....

people selling right now sell because they have to, or sell because they choose to.

nobody is selling just to pass the time or because there isn't anything on the telly.

Everyone has their reasons, their motives, their strategies etc..

So, all i'm saying is if you want to sell, bring out the real stuff - not just another list of .nets that won't sell.

do it properly or don't do it all.

Yes RD, you did wheel out one .com lately, maybe it just didn't take anyones fancy.

I'm not pissing around, i'm waitig in line for the store to open.

Rubber Duck
22nd December 2006, 11:03 PM
people selling right now sell because they have to, or sell because they choose to.

nobody is selling just to pass the time or because there isn't anything on the telly.

Everyone has their reasons, their motives, their strategies etc..

So, all i'm saying is if you want to sell, bring out the real stuff - not just another list of .nets that won't sell.

do it properly or don't do it all.

Yes RD, you did wheel out one .com lately, maybe it just didn't take anyones fancy.

I'm not pissing around, i'm waitig in line for the store to open.

Well I put out three Japanese on here. They are reasonably priced according to my estimations. No interest.

If you think I am going to start banging down good domains on NO RESERVE auctions like I have in the past, forget it. I have got the market going several times just see it grind to a hault again. Basically, I am waiting for a revival of interest. I am monitoring that with the dot nets.

I may come up with more dot coms in the coming months, I may not. It all depends. I think for time being, it pays me to just sit on my hands.

alpha
22nd December 2006, 11:19 PM
Well I put out three Japanese on here. They are reasonably priced according to my estimations. No interest.

If you think I am going to start banging down good domains on NO RESERVE auctions like I have in the past, forget it. I have got the market going several times just see it grind to a hault again. Basically, I am waiting for a revival of interest. I am monitoring that with the dot nets.

I may come up with more dot coms in the coming months, I may not. It all depends. I think for time being, it pays me to just sit on my hands.

thats fine RD, you are selling with a different motive and have a choice.

Rubber Duck
22nd December 2006, 11:21 PM
The bottom line on all of this is that there are nearly 1K signed in here.

Of those only 30 or so have really high powered portfolios, and of those only about 5 or so have ever really done any serious selling.

Realistically there are 500 or more people that should be seriously looking at improving the size and quality of their portfolios. They are not going to do that by buying from flippers, the quality of whose wears has dropped to a lamentable level. They are also not going to do it buy buying the crap that is being sifted out from major portfolios, nor are they going to do it by buying from those that registered huge amounts of crap. They are going to have to obtain what they can from the handful of people that are open to selling a few quality domains.

I think you will be surprised, how many have hung back in the expectation that some really good stuff will drop soon. We'll soon we will find out. If it doesn't, those struggling to get on board before the boat leave will become increasingly desparate.

alpha
22nd December 2006, 11:32 PM

Dave, one of them is 20k

have you lost your marbles?

burnsinternet
22nd December 2006, 11:35 PM
Same story for months. Some keep mining, some fish with dynamite, some sit back and wait, some go to the drops & secondary market, some are busy developing, and some have placed their bets: period.

Rubber Duck
22nd December 2006, 11:39 PM
Dave, one of them is 20k

have you lost your marbles?

Not in the slightest.

I a few years time this domain will be worth 7 figures, and besides have you looked at the dollar exchange rate lately?

alpha
22nd December 2006, 11:41 PM
Not in the slightest.

I a few years time this domain will be worth 7 figures, and besides have you looked at the dollar exchange rate lately?

I just don't get it.

on one end of the spectum we have .nets no one wants, and on the other a load of .coms no one can afford

wheres the stuff in the middle?

Rubber Duck
22nd December 2006, 11:41 PM
Same story for months. Some keep mining, some fish with dynamite, some sit back and wait, some go to the drops & secondary market, some are busy developing, and some have placed their bets period.

When the Mother Vein is played out, all that dynamite will get you is a big pile of rocks!

I just don't get it.

on one end of the spectum we have .nets no one wants, and on the other a load of .coms no one can afford

wheres the stuff in the middle?

Well that why I put in couple of Combos in the low $x,xxx.

The bottom line is if someone comes to me with a sensible budget and a rough idea of what they want I am prepared to look at it, but we are not talking 50 bucks a chuck here.

And Bimbo, you have blown it with me. I wouldn't even start negotiation.

burnsinternet
23rd December 2006, 12:01 AM
I'm not fishing with dynamite. Never have.

I personally think we'll see some interesting domains for sale in interesting languages. The stuff that few are talking about but many are going after. You don't see many top German, Polish, French, Spanish, Russian, etc. dot coms for sale here because those are making money right now. I speak of the big money names.

My problem has always been my lack of familiarity with Asian languages. By the time I got the hang of it, only .jps were leftover. I have some really good names in non-Asian languages. Some of them, at the time, I thought must have been typos because I couldn't believe they were unregistered by the Snows. Some, like the Greek, Polish, Swedish, and Arabic ones, have few views but nearly 100% CTR. So, it is difficult for me, personally, to gamble on good, expensive Asian domains. It's just not a good fit for me.

We've been seeing Japanese, Chinese, Russian, and a sprinkling of other popular languages here. I think we will see 'premium' domains in smaller language groups or more speculative languages (Hebrew, Greek, Polish, Swedish, etc.) soon. Not Thai. DG has all those. ;)

Rubber Duck
23rd December 2006, 12:08 AM
Well not all of them he doesn't! We have Thai, we also have quite a few other interesting languges. These are not ever likely to come up for sale. The keywords are pure gold and the after market is currently non existent. By the time the secondary market fires in these, any interest in selling anything will have long since evaporated.

burnsinternet
23rd December 2006, 12:10 AM
Well not all of them he doesn't! We have Thai, we also have quite a few other interesting languges. These are not ever likely to come up for sale. The keywords are pure gold and the after market is currently non existent. By the time the secondary market fires in these, any interest in selling anything will have long since evaporated.

I know, I know. It was a joke to DG. He WANTS to have all of them, I think!

sunsei21
23rd December 2006, 02:55 AM
lol well i was thinking there was a lot of .nets up for sale, there is sort of a cycle that goes on .nets->>>complain about .nets>>> few.coms->>>.nets and i know this has been covered but what is a premium .com or .jp .cn .gr etc?? Ill be happy to test the water with the closest thing i have in my meager portfolio.

i personally stopped buying .nets because i'm confident that if and when the market takes off i can find .nets all day long if need be :)

Rubber Duck
23rd December 2006, 06:42 AM
lol well i was thinking there was a lot of .nets up for sale, there is sort of a cycle that goes on .nets->>>complain about .nets>>> few.coms->>>.nets and i know this has been covered but what is a premium .com or .jp .cn .gr etc?? Ill be happy to test the water with the closest thing i have in my meager portfolio.

i personally stopped buying .nets because i'm confident that if and when the market takes off i can find .nets all day long if need be :)

Well it is the Keyword rather than the extension that will be the primary determinate of value.

Many if not most of our dot nets were acquired very early on, and on Keywords where the dot com just wasn't available. Even we have much better Keywords in general on dot net, than dot com.

I could probably pick up dot coms "all day long", it all depends what you getting. The multiplier between dot net and dot com is probably somewhere between 5 and 10. The multiplier between good keyword and nothing special with be in the thousands. Before you turn up your nose at my dot nets, I suggest you take a closer look!

touchring
23rd December 2006, 07:24 AM
I'm leaving my .nets alone - they are a long bet.

sarcle
23rd December 2006, 01:39 PM
How about sellers making a New Years Resolution to stop peddling the .nets

bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored

I am so bored with seeing endless lists of .net's

bring out the .coms

bring out the .jps

bring out the .cns

I've put a few keyword .com's out now and again just to feel around. Not so much as even a bite on any of the forums. But I have had natives now making offers through Namedrive so I see it as a good sign.

Rubber Duck
23rd December 2006, 01:47 PM
I've put a few keyword .com's out now and again just to feel around. Not so much as even a bite on any of the forums. But I have had natives now making offers through Namedrive so I see it as a good sign.

Well I have sold five dot net to a new buyer from Taiwan this morning, indicating to me that the reason the flippers are no longer bringing good names here, is that they no longer see this as the best place to sell.

sunsei21
23rd December 2006, 02:21 PM
Well it is the Keyword rather than the extension that will be the primary determinate of value.

Many if not most of our dot nets were acquired very early on, and on Keywords where the dot com just wasn't available. Even we have much better Keywords in general on dot net, than dot com.

I could probably pick up dot coms "all day long", it all depends what you getting. The multiplier between dot net and dot com is probably somewhere between 5 and 10. The multiplier between good keyword and nothing special with be in the thousands. Before you turn up your nose at my dot nets, I suggest you take a closer look!

RD it wasn't a personal attack on your listings i was just saying in general that .nets are usually what are left behind or dropped and i wasn't regging anymore unless its just to good to be true. :)

Rubber Duck
23rd December 2006, 02:25 PM
RD it wasn't a personal attack on your listings i was just saying in general that .nets are usually what are left behind or dropped and i wasn't regging anymore unless its just to good to be true. :)

Well if I am selling dot net to buyers from Asia, your going to have have to tell a very good tale, to off load my dot coms.

sunsei21
23rd December 2006, 02:32 PM
Well if I am selling dot net to buyers from Asia, your going to have have to tell a very good tale, to off load my dot coms.

lol I don't doubt it you have one hell of a portfolio of .nets can only imagine the .coms. i couldn't sell ice water in a desert so i am stuck with what i have;)

blastfromthepast
23rd December 2006, 11:36 PM
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/2334/cwcpq2.gif

Rubber Duck
23rd December 2006, 11:42 PM
lol I don't doubt it you have one hell of a portfolio of .nets can only imagine the .coms. i couldn't sell ice water in a desert so i am stuck with what i have;)

It is always darkest just before the dawn. Whatever you have in any language, it will mimmick its ASCII English counterpart according to the size of the market you are addressing. It will take time, it will take patience, but very soon you will see tangible progress.

yanni
23rd December 2006, 11:43 PM
Trans. please?

It will take time, it will take patience, but very soon you will see tangible progress.

Exactly. It's the calm before the storm right now.

Rubber Duck
23rd December 2006, 11:46 PM
Why are you throwing bit of bread into the toilet?

To feed the toilet duck!

blastfromthepast
23rd December 2006, 11:47 PM
Why are you throwing bit of bread into the toilet?

To feed the toilet duck!

Squeeky.

Rubber Duck
23rd December 2006, 11:49 PM
Trans. please?

Exactly. It's the calm before the storm right now.

It certainly is and it won't be long before the Chinese and Russian flippers are back here buying back the same names they sold a few months ago to resale in the their home markets. Sound bizarre doesn't it. Trust me that will come very shortly.

blastfromthepast
24th December 2006, 12:18 AM
It certainly is and it won't be long

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4500/dyn005original250152gifef2.gif