PDA

View Full Version : What are you new year plans?

arpitagarwal82
26th December 2006, 04:19 PM
So friends new year is about to come... have you made any plans for it?
lets share out plans here.:)

rhys
27th December 2006, 02:41 AM
So friends new year is about to come... have you made any plans for it?
lets share out plans here.:)

I will continue to develop my domains this year at least to the point where they pay for the annual reg fee. I'd say about $35/day is what I need.

sunsei21
27th December 2006, 02:59 AM
I will continue to develop my domains this year at least to the point where they pay for the annual reg fee. I'd say about $35/day is what I need.

Ditto here too it will be a great way to start out the year with development:)

sakillll
27th December 2006, 05:53 AM
do other things and watting~
*ie 7 autoupdate
*illegal user autoupdate
*development great idn domain earning revenue.
:)

blastfromthepast
27th December 2006, 11:02 AM
January 1st is the start of the IE7 autoupdate in Russian.

Looking forward to the new year.

hanidn
27th December 2006, 11:03 AM
First of all, I will wait for the windows vista rolls out at Feb. 1.
Another waiting for ie7 auto update at April first in Korea..
I guess that ie7 will be used near 50% of Korean net users by summer.
Another guessing is 70-80% of browsers will be ie7 by end of 2007 in Korea..

At that time, I will be starting to have daydreaming that I move to tropical island as soon as possible. ;)

I look at aloha state. :cool:

alpha
27th December 2006, 11:36 AM
I'm not expecting anything monumental over the next 12 months.

Everything will continue creeping north.

The biggest event will be next year renewals unfortunately.

Whether you like him or loath him, believe in what he preaches, or think it's a load of poppy-cock, Rick Schwartz's continued advice is "Patience".

and I am convinved he is spot on with that one.

one little word - Patience is what we need over the next 12 months.

Rubber Duck
27th December 2006, 11:51 AM
Well, I am going to do the opposite to what Rick Schwartz advocates.

Seems like a recipe for success!

I am going to continue to promote IDN and yes I shall start to look seriously at development.

Instead of developing those that have no traffic, as the King seems to advocate, we shall develop only domains with very good traffic. Of course we won't know which do and which don't until the traffic arrives.

Development is going to be done from Parking Revenues, so it will be done in a gradual measured way. We are in no hurry on this one. Securing the portfolio and shutting up shop for good on sales are the key priorities. We did not essentially get into this game to flip domains. Each domain sold is a measure of failure, not success.

I would think that next three months is going to be make or break for many. I believe that IDN will actually explode when it happens. The idea that IDN will gradually replace ASCII makes no sense to me. It either will happen or it won't, there is no middle ground. IDN is either a logical progression or it is not. At some point we will either shoot to the stars or the entire project will just get abandoned.

What are my predictions? Well, blast-off is unpredictable, but it would seem that it will either happen in Russian or China. Japan is on the back burner for now. Russia because it will be getting Auto Updates from January 1st and this market is already reasonably established. China because there is political will to push this through. Official sites will soon start converting to IDN in large numbers. I think there will also be good but not spectacular progress in Arabic.

Timescale, well I fancy that the next Round Table Conference will be the one fire this into orbit. Dates don't seem to have been announced as yet.

I think you will find when it happens, it will be like a dam bursting. The steady trickle we are seeing will gradually increase until suddenly the whole dam wall collapses and the content of the reservoir hurtles down the valley destroying everything in their wake. Dams either break or they don't. They do not sort of half-break in a gradual sort of fashion over several years, and neither will the IDN phenomenon. One day hardly anyone will have heard of it, and the next day it will be on everyone's lips. It will arrive before before you can say Pixel Marketing, but this phenomenon will not be a flash in the pan, but a cultural revolution.

alpha
27th December 2006, 04:07 PM
we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

I'm still betting on a leak in the dam, that gets worse over time.

Rubber Duck
27th December 2006, 04:18 PM
Sorry, to me that just doesn't make any sense.

If it happens, then it will seem like a leak to start with, but if doesn't not have the impetus to build momentum, it just won't have the impetus to happen at all.

IDN are incapable of cohabitating, just as the arrival of Homo Sapiens meant the extinction of Neanderthals, so IDN will mean the extinction of ASCII, within the relevant cultural limits. Either one species will supplant the other or it won't.

If we get to 5% to 10% of the population being IDN, they will either out compete the ASCII domains or they won't. If they do, the others will quickly convert. If they don't they will soon be forgotten.

The other point that needs to be understood, is that what we say or do, or however much developing Olney does or doesn't do is going to have bugger all impact on anything. We either position ourselves to take advantage of the situation or we don't. Nothing we do is going to change anything. The two keys to this are browser support, which is coming and the adoption of IDN by very large enterprises, for which there is growing evidence. There was a risk that this might not happen, if it were left entirely to the major corporates, but in some countries at least, notably China, there is the political will to force this through, so it will happen even if the large corporates lack the vision to act.

alpha
27th December 2006, 04:30 PM
Sorry, to me that just doesn't make any sense.

If it happens, then it will seem like a leak to start with, but if doesn't not have the impetus to build momentum, it just won't have the impetus to happen at all.

IDN are incapable of cohabitating, just as the arrival of Homo Sapiens meant the extinction of Neanderthals, so IDN will mean the extinction of ASCII, within the relevant cultural limits. Either one species will supplant the other or it won't.

If we get to 5% to 10% of the population being IDN, they will either out compete the ASCII domains or they won't. If they do they the others will quickly convert. If they don't they will soon be forgotten.

the main obstacle is not the browser deployment it is the end user.

The people who matter haven't got a clue what a domain name is and couldn't care less either.

it will take time for the word to spread to all those zillions of surfers, some people will become educated to the act that you can use native characters. But most people will just have to find out for themselves, and this all takes time.

I'm trying to think or a good example to use as a parallel. The best one i can think of is the use of the "www" prefix.

I would bet that most uneducated surfers still religously type in www

thats is because either they know, but it's just habit, or they don't know that you don't need it.

I know i don't need to type it in, but i still find myself doing it.

Rubber Duck
27th December 2006, 04:43 PM
The www thing is a browser issue. The DNS still requires it. The browser should communicate their functionality better, that's all!

On the IDN adoption, it isn't complicated. Initially, all that needs to be done is for the IDN to be forwarded to ASCII.

Then you just replace the Logo. You put IDN in big letters, with the ASCII written underneath in smaller letters.

At some point the whole site needs converting for efficiency, but in many case that will just be a question of making a copy replacing a domain in the links which can probably be done with an automatic process in many cases. With more complexed sites there will be database issues, but these can be solved by simply closing the job down for maintenance whilst the switch is made. Bigger companies will make a mock up or Sandpit and do a dummy run, just to give themselves confidence that everything will go smoothly.

There is absolutely no need to wait for the public to be re-educated. Old and new can run in parallel for a while. As soon as browser support is significant more and more companies will do this. They will also not do until it is effective to try and take the competition unawares. Many of them are clearly preparing to do this now!

the main obstacle is not the browser deployment it is the end user.

The people who matter haven't got a clue what a domain name is and couldn't care less either.

it will take time for the word to spread to all those zillions of surfers, some people will become educated to the act that you can use native characters. But most people will just have to find out for themselves, and this all takes time.

I'm trying to think or a good example to use as a parallel. The best one i can think of is the use of the "www" prefix.

I would bet that most uneducated surfers still religously type in www

thats is because either they know, but it's just habit, or they don't know that you don't need it.

I know i don't need to type it in, but i still find myself doing it.

alpha
27th December 2006, 04:52 PM
..There is absolutely no need to wait for the public to be re-educated.

eh?

natural IDN type-in traffic is the holy grail right? is this not what we are all sitting around waiting for?

its what i'm waiting for.

without an educated user, you got jack

Rubber Duck
27th December 2006, 05:05 PM
eh?

natural IDN type-in traffic is the holy grail right? is this not what we are all sitting around waiting for?

its what i'm waiting for.

without an educated user, you got jack

Yes, obviously, but if all the major sites are advertising themselves in IDN format, then just how long is it going to take your average punter to catch on? If it is more than 2 minutes, then we have seriously got this all wrong.

If IDNs are not actually intuitive, you won't beat into them even if you use a hammer. What we are relying on is that with just a little prompting, it will come totally naturally. If they all need to have after school classes to get the hang of this, then we are all in serious trouble.

touchring
27th December 2006, 07:49 PM
It's now end Dec - i previously estimated that IE7 will be released mid-Dec to 1st quarter of 2007, looks like my estimation is still too early. We now know AU is coming only Jan to April.

My new year plan is to acquire more names at reasonable cost - i shan't be bothered about whether IDNs take off by March or April - they are going to take off, sooner or later, even if it takes 10 years, the Asians are not going to continue to use R2D2.com for their domain names, i'm confident of that.

alpha
27th December 2006, 08:55 PM
... the Asians are not going to continue to use R2D2.com for their domain names, i'm confident of that.

actually thats owned by a German. But I guess the point is still valid. (and the other one is reg'd in the Cayman Islands)

touchring
27th December 2006, 09:52 PM
actually thats owned by a German. But I guess the point is still valid. (and the other one is reg'd in the Cayman Islands)

Ok, then let's try c2po.com.

seamo
27th December 2006, 09:58 PM
Ok, then let's try c2po.com.
C-3P0...Star Wars was the first movie I ever saw way back in '77

yanni
27th December 2006, 10:41 PM
Instead of developing those that have no traffic, as the King seems to advocate, we shall develop only domains with very good traffic. Of course we won't know which do and which don't until the traffic arrives.

I assume he's talking about ASCII. Different ballgame alltogether at this point.

The need to develop traffic IDNs right now is to derive more income from current traffic to pay for the non-producers, instead of developing a traffic-less idn and waiting for the google-gods to rank it on page one on the result pages.

When your traffic producing idns are sustaining your protfolio, you can start developing the rest, in you sweet little time. Your trafficed names may also be able to fund your development projects, while you're waiting for IDN to take off.

Because, I feel that IDNs are not going to explode. I'm looking at steady growth in the next couple of years.

Each domain sold is a measure of failure, not success.

At this point, regarding IDN, you're absolutely correct!

I would think that next three months is going to be make or break for many. I believe that IDN will actually explode when it happens. The idea that IDN will gradually replace ASCII makes no sense to me. It either will happen or it won't, there is no middle ground. IDN is either a logical progression or it is not. At some point we will either shoot to the stars or the entire project will just get abandoned.

All you have to do is look at ASCII history. I think it will prove you wrong. The ascii market is just right now starting to mature after years of existence. What makes you think IDN will be any different? It will get a boost from ascii, for sure, but not enough to create an explosion.

Plus, if there's an explosion, it will be followed by an equally monumental crash.
We don't want that.

My 2c.

alpha
27th December 2006, 11:33 PM
RD. In April when you are abandoning IDNs due to lack of an explosion - be sure to look me up - I will be first in line to take your chinese provinces .com from you.

drbiohealth
28th December 2006, 03:27 AM
Ditto for India.

RD. In April when you are abandoning IDNs due to lack of an explosion - be sure to look me up - I will be first in line to take your chinese provinces .com from you.

JColson
28th December 2006, 04:10 PM
Very considerate of you guys to offer to help RD out in April- we are not all relying on an explosion and have planned accordingly. Sorry to disappoint you!

rhys
28th December 2006, 05:56 PM
As I have said several times, I'm in the slow-growth camp. The value of my portfolio (Japanese) depends on people knowing what the URL bar is there for. I don't have any of those fantastic seeming french or german IDNs after all.

I build my minisites based on how low-hanging the opportunity seems to be (availability of content, "fit" for a mini-site, and commercial potential). Whether a domain gets traffic or not has not so far proved irrelevant to my considerations for development. It has nothing to do with how much traffic I get post development.

Rubber Duck
28th December 2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah, he is another example of nothing happening in Japan. (Researched by Jose).

FUJITSU Limited v. tete and Lianqiu Li

Decision - For all the foregoing reasons, in accordance with paragraphs 4(i) of the Policy and 15 of the Rules, the Panel orders that the domain name <富士通.com> be transferred to the Complainant.

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2006/d2006-0885.html

Incidentally they are already using the dot JP version.

I am just a bit puzzled why all the real information is coming from guys based half-way around the World who don't understand any Japanese.

rhys
28th December 2006, 07:00 PM
I am just a bit puzzled why all the real information is coming from guys based half-way around the World who don't understand any Japanese.

That's the global internet for you! Maybe Jose is just a really resourceful guy. Besides the news is english language news from what I see and from a yahoo search it doesn't look like that news was even reported in the Japanese language. Curiously, RD doesn't seem to think that this is also Chinese news because he isn't demanding that Chinese forum members present it to him.

Wow, RD, you're kind of grumpy these days. Please don't take it out on folks that don't deserve it.

touchring
29th December 2006, 04:21 AM
That's the global internet for you! Maybe Jose is just a really resourceful guy. Besides the news is english language news from what I see and from a yahoo search it doesn't look like that news was even reported in the Japanese language. Curiously, RD doesn't seem to think that this is also Chinese news because he isn't demanding that Chinese forum members present it to him.

Wow, RD, you're kind of grumpy these days. Please don't take it out on folks that don't deserve it.

Sometime to do wtih the weather?

The sun came out this morning, after 2 weeks of incessant rain, first time in my life where i appreciated the sun in equatorial tropics. At least for 3 hours, it's mid-day now so i'm starting to hate it, looking forward to the rain cloud again. :p