PDA

View Full Version : Picking up seashells?

blastfromthepast
27th December 2006, 09:16 AM
AC: What can the 2007 GeoDomain Expo learn and incorporate from T.R.A.F.F.I.C. events?
DC: You should have asked: “What can T.R.A.F.F.I.C. learn and incorporate from the 2006 GeoDomain Expo?”
While T.R.A.F.F.I.C. has done a fantastic job of promoting domain name ownership and value to the world, it could learn from what Associated Cities and the GeoDomain Expo have done for GeoDomain owners. Here are two examples:
The GeoDomain Expo stresses developing your names rather than parking them (a parked name cannot become a member of Associated Cities). At T.R.A.F.F.I.C., most of the sponsors promoted parking. Let’s get something straight: parking a domain name is one of the dopiest things a domain name owner can do long term.

It’s essentially the same as having a mile of beachfront property on Maui and generating revenue by charging people to pick up seashells. The only reason you should ever park a good domain name is because you haven’t yet thought of a way to develop it or you haven’t started to develop it because your portfolio is so huge. We have this problem.

There were people at T.R.A.F.F.I.C. quite happy that some of their parked domains were making $2,000 to $3,000 a month until I explained to them that a developed name like PalmSprings.com generates well in excess of $75,000 a month.

http://www.associatedcities.com/news.php?newsID=101