PDA

View Full Version : New and looking for an answer

mightyd
5th January 2007, 02:16 AM
Hi,

Just started in on the IDN names and figured I'd look at Russian.

Using freetranslation.com I entered mortgage and came up with "заклад" figure I scored, I bought the name.

Then I went onto systran.com and entered mortgage and it came up with "ипотека", name gone.

So what's right? I find more page results with ипотека then заклад but what's the deal.

Thanks a bunch for the insight.

sarcle
5th January 2007, 02:27 AM
Hi,

Just started in on the IDN names and figured I'd look at Russian.

Using freetranslation.com I entered mortgage and came up with "заклад" figure I scored, I bought the name.

Then I went onto systran.com and entered mortgage and it came up with "ипотека", name gone.

So what's right? I find more page results with ипотека then заклад but what's the deal.

Thanks a bunch for the insight.

Always check yandex, us ovt., google serps, google trends.

Yandex:
http://wordstat.yandex.ru/advq?rpt=ppc&shw=1

заклад gets roughly 1,500 searches a month in yandex.

ипотека gets 111,618

google trends for both terms

http://google.com/trends?q=%D0%B8%D0%BF%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BA%D0%B0%2C+%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%BA%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B4+&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

And use google translator or babelfish

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Even bettor are online dictionaries. But you must always do your research before you purchase a name.

Chaulk it up as a lesson learned and find them. :)

5th January 2007, 02:31 AM
Hi, Just so you know...
if you reg a domain via dynadot.com you have 5 days to return the name and recieve account credit..this way you can confirm your purchases and if you want - return them.

Good Luck and welcome

bwhhisc
5th January 2007, 02:32 AM
Good advice from Sarcle, also you can register at Dynadot, where you have a couple of days to "cancel" your bad registrations.
They give you a "credit" no cash refund.
Most here use Domainsite, but they have no cancellation period offer (yet).

mightyd
5th January 2007, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the great info. If all of my mistakes only cost $6.99, I'd be a rich man by now...

blastfromthepast
5th January 2007, 03:00 AM
Top words such as loans, money, gambling, sex, information, internet, geographic names, etc. in major languages are no longer available.

If you find yourself registering 'internet.com' in any major language at this point, you may be getting the wrong translation, an alternate, archaic, unused, grammatically modified, or other form that even the native speakers looking for domains overlooked.

gammascalper
5th January 2007, 03:30 AM
Always check yandex, us ovt., google serps, google trends.

That is about it...

Existence of us ovt often confirms that the word or term is the 'dictionary version', and not masculine/feminine/possessive/inclined/declined. If you look at the top Russian terms, they all have high us ovt, in the hundreds, and rarely in the thousands.

Don't forget to put the search term in double quotes like "search term" when looking at SERP.

seamo
5th January 2007, 05:40 AM
Top words such as loans, money, gambling, sex, information, internet, geographic names, etc. in major languages are no longer available.

If you find yourself registering 'internet.com' in any major language at this point, you may be getting the wrong translation, an alternate, archaic, unused, grammatically modified, or other form that even the native speakers looking for domains overlooked.
This is the cold hard truth about the current situation.

Keep this in mind and you won't get too dissapointed when you think you've found a top generic still available. They were mostly gone when I joined this game nearly 12 months ago!

Many of these keywords are owned by members here, so if you have the capital you may be able to secure some gold domains at a bargain price.

At least for a little while longer...;)

blastfromthepast
5th January 2007, 06:37 AM
Just to be clear, заклад means something "put up and stacked" as logs are when making a log cabin for example. It is rarely used for mortgage these days.

filmlion
5th January 2007, 07:45 PM
also make sure when you typed it, you didn't mistype the russian letter with a latin one that looks exactly like it - there is a thread here i started on this topic.

one more think - make sure the registrar you use doesn't charge you for deleting/cancelling the domain you bought by mistake - moniker does, i think it's just $1 - once you registered - you are welcome to ask me (i am a native russian speaker, with 2 university diplomas plus also a professional seo :)) if it's good or not as a work and as a keyword. i'll help you for free, of course, as i helped some guys here already with their lists.