PDA

View Full Version : What languages work best for .net?

bwhhisc
6th January 2007, 11:50 AM
Continuing the .net discussions...since there are many here for sale.

It is said that the .net works very well in "some" languages.

Having lived, worked and traveled around Greece, Russia, Austria, Hungary, etc. I have wondered if any of
hundreds of millions (most who have never owned a computer or been on the internet) may see .com
in advertising and link it in any way to the transliteral word "communist". Russian language has a pretty
close translation to the Russian word for "commerce" but how about others?

burnsinternet
6th January 2007, 11:57 AM
Dot net is great for English ascii, and not too bad for German, Spanish, or French ascii.

My IDN.net in all languages are great names with little or no traffic. Certainly no clicks. Maybe it's just me....

bramiozo
6th January 2007, 12:41 PM
Com is thé standard, .com is king, it is the extension for any application and anything else is less, that's the approach we have with ascii but how valid is it with idn ?
It completely depends on the interpretation of the extension and it's supposed meaning, for most latin-based languages .com/.net/..etc. directly reflects it's purpose and on that accord obviously .com is best for monetization but how do the surfers see that ? Do surfers go for .com with the intention to find a commercial website, in other words, does the extension still suit the purpose of functionally dividing domain s into commercial/network/organisation/ .etc ? From the point of vieuw of the user I think that the difference between net and com is at present more prounounciation then interpretation, it's just a label.

The divisor we normally use for com/net will imo decrease, the com is king conception is not illogical considering you would want to monetize traffic but it is also illogical to think that móst visitors want to visit commercial websites. Is it logical to label a site like youtube with .com if it's completely user-based ? A .net makes more sense here as does it for many other sites which are user-based, especially fora, portals etc. etc. With idn.idn new meaning will come to these extensions for those who must write the extensions in their own language, .com/.net will become more than an abstract ascii-label and it's usage will shift based on actual user activity which mean a shift towards .net especially considering the fact that most cúrrent groundbreaking internet sales (not domains) are based on user driven sites like myspace and youtube.

Also, with idn.idn the significance of ctld's will decrease, the whole point of using foreign extensions will be to point to the location of the business activity rather than to indicate it's language since that is completely covered by the language of the idn gtld. What we also see in the western countries is a shift towards internetBASED activities whereby the location of the actual provider of the service is completely irrelevant as supposed the type of service it provides.

Assuming .idn's will come into existence this will in my opinion be the right order of things;
- .com
- .net
- .ctld
- .org
..other

touchring
6th January 2007, 12:51 PM
.com will still be king for the short to medium term. The test will come with dname when .com will lose it's very advantage (which is the ".com") if dname does take off.

Rubber Duck
6th January 2007, 12:55 PM
Won't make a damned bit of difference. Locals will only use local representations of extensions, if they understand and know what they mean. If they type it in as dot com or instead of dot com, it will be because they understand it to be dot com. You can extrapolate this argument to all to all other extension as well.

bwhhisc
6th January 2007, 01:40 PM
Won't make a damned bit of difference. Locals will only use local representations of extensions, if they understand and know what they mean. If they type it in as dot com or instead of dot com, it will be because they understand it to be dot com. You can extrapolate this argument to all to all other extension as well.

So you think the values might be closer for IDN.com and IDN.net than the values for ASCII.com and ASCII.net?

Looking at your recent sales lists for Russian .nets, and Chinese.nets you have invested substantially in .nets (as well as .coms).

Rubber Duck
6th January 2007, 02:59 PM
So you think the values might be closer for IDN.com and IDN.net than the values for ASCII.com and ASCII.net?

Looking at your recent sales lists for Russian .nets, and Chinese.nets you have invested substantially in .nets (as well as .coms).

The US obcession with dot com is almost as mindless as their obcession of attacking every mention of IDN.

Most ASCII domainers will not make good IDNers because they do not have the IQ. How do I know that? Well, you only have to look at what they buy and hawk.

In dot com in the US, the wider market a bubble is established. The very best generics still have considerable headroom, but soon the rubbish will be recognised for what is is and there will be a huge shake out.

Longer-term, will the IDN market reflect different ratios between dot net and dot com? Probably not.

Will the current ratios, persists in the ASCII market? Almost certainly not!

When The King is seen to be wearing no clothes, perceptions will change!

seamo
6th January 2007, 03:07 PM
So in a nutshell are we saying a top generic is still a top generic - regardless of extension? (or language for that matter?)

Rubber Duck
6th January 2007, 03:11 PM
So in a nutshell are we saying a top generic is still a top generic - regardless of extension? (or language for that matter?)

Yes, but the value of the extension brand and value of the target market cannot be discounted. These are very real determinants of value, but not as important as the keyword itself. Most dot coms have little or no inherent value and that will become increasing apparent to more and more people.

seamo
6th January 2007, 03:22 PM
In dot com in the US, the wider market a bubble is established. The very best generics still have considerable headroom, but soon the rubbish will be recognised for what is is and there will be a huge shake out.

When The King is seen to be wearing no clothes, perceptions will change!
Perhaps a bust similar to late 90's?

Except almost entirely in the ASCII market?

bwhhisc
6th January 2007, 03:28 PM
Found this website that features updates on the latest ASCII (and IDN) listing for some opf the domain forums and EBAY.
Check out the ascii quality of names!

http://domainershub.com/

Rubber Duck
6th January 2007, 03:30 PM
Perhaps a bust similar to late 90's?

Except almost entirely in the ASCII market?

Not a bust but more of shake out, which will mainly affect dot com and small time investors. Those with high profile dot coms won't be significantly affected.

I see dot XXX is back in play again though. That could adversely affect a few people!

seamo
6th January 2007, 03:37 PM
Not a bust but more of shake out, which will mainly affect dot com and small time investors. Those with high profile dot coms won't be significantly affected.

I see dot XXX is back in play again though. That could adversely affect a few people!
From dallasnews.com:

The Internet's key oversight agency has revived a proposal it earlier rejected to create an online red-light district. (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/010707dnnatxxx.132c800b.html)

.xxx=$$$

Rubber Duck
6th January 2007, 03:38 PM
Found this website that features updates on the latest ASCII (and IDN) listing for some opf the domain forums and EBAY. Check out the ascii quality of names!

http://domainershub.com/

It would be funny, if it weren't so sad.

Most of these domain owners should be in care.

From dallasnews.com:

The Internet's key oversight agency has revived a proposal it earlier rejected to create an online red-light district. (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/010707dnnatxxx.132c800b.html)

.xxx=$$$

Not if you own a massive sex business on dot coms it doesn't.

XXX may be seen as a way of the Governments regulating the business. We have seen how heavy handed they were over gambling. This just strikes me as a way of them controlling things. It might be that be that the law is changed to prevent any explicit material be shown under extensions like dot com. If that were the case it would be a very heavy blow.

I think one particular holder of adult dot coms is clearing out a lot, may be he is ahead of the curve on this one.

bwhhisc
6th January 2007, 04:15 PM
I think one particular holder of adult dot coms is clearing out a lot, may be he is ahead of the curve on this one.

Only the finest make it to EBAY. lol
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300067502381

seamo
6th January 2007, 04:27 PM
Not if you own a massive sex business on dot coms it doesn't.
Yes - I should have qualified that - $$$ for the registrars.

It might be that be that the law is changed to prevent any explicit material be shown under extensions like dot com.

Particularly if this occurs.

Could be the biggest rush for land ever seen for an extension - fuelled by wild speculations & panic buying...:eek:

Rubber Duck
6th January 2007, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. It will be another total stitch up! And I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't agreed to all sort with the commerce department in return for getting dot com sites closed for good!

rhys
6th January 2007, 04:31 PM
will it support IDN?

burnsinternet
8th January 2007, 07:08 AM
Only the finest make it to EBAY. lol
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300067502381

I thought I was going to throw up laughing at that one! And they state, "Here is your chance to own one of the truly great domain names on the internet. "

OMG!

will it support IDN?

The only question that matters. I am sure they won't.

Dot mobi doesn't and we are, again, left out in the cold on a great land rush. :rolleyes: