PDA

View Full Version : how do you usually fund your many domain purchases?

filmlion
7th January 2007, 09:55 PM
I am getting advices not to resell what I buy immediately and wait a year ot longer to be sure. but how would i fund my next purchases if i am already out of money after buying a set of good domains that i found. i even had to put one, really good one, for auction with a hope to fund my next purchases, but not quite successfully yet...:
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/8400-%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%82-com-starting-bid-%2410-a.html#post53162
so, how do you usually fund your many domain purchases?

rhys
7th January 2007, 10:06 PM
I fund it with my day job and buy what i can generally afford to keep.

blastfromthepast
7th January 2007, 10:52 PM
It takes money to make money.

sarcle
7th January 2007, 11:03 PM
Extortion, Blackmail, you know, find out some dirt on people. :)

7th January 2007, 11:13 PM
I know nothing about nothing.

Tip of the day:

Get a college diploma without going to college! It's easy! Just visit a college in your area and check out the old yearbooks in their library. Pick one that's dated around the time that you would have attended if you had actually gone there. Now find somebody in the yearbook whose name is the same as yours. Then, write a letter to the Records Department, tell them that your diploma was destroyed in a fire, and ask them to send you a new one!

filmlion
7th January 2007, 11:17 PM
that was funny. :)))) well, i guess, i'll have to save some money from my salary for my new passion: idn. :)) thanks.

bwhhisc
7th January 2007, 11:43 PM
I am getting advices not to resell what I buy immediately and wait a year ot longer to be sure. but how would i fund my next purchases if i am already out of money after buying a set of good domains that i found. i even had to put one, really good one, for auction with a hope to fund my next purchases, but not quite successfully yet...:
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/8400-%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%82-com-starting-bid-%2410-a.html#post53162
so, how do you usually fund your many domain purchases?

In addition to above, some have started small, flipping IDN names for 3x reg fee and building their own porfolio with the profits.

Some are using credit cards... but MAKE SURE you have a good job to stay up with the monthly interest payments; and are prepared to deal with things if IDNs take a few more years to get mainstream.

And a few are using family and friends as "investors"; but this would be my least choice of the three!

markits
7th January 2007, 11:47 PM
PPC income only.
Domain for domain...

xxbossmanxx
8th January 2007, 12:03 AM
The names you buy should pay for themselves in clicks if they are any good. Besides that I have many other online ventures.

blastfromthepast
8th January 2007, 12:03 AM
how would i fund my next purchases

It takes courage, doesn't it? Spending thousands of dollars on something that only exists only as a record on nameservers all over the world.

bwhhisc
8th January 2007, 12:28 AM
The names you buy should pay for themselves in clicks if they are any good. Besides that I have many other online ventures.

There is a very small percentage of IDN that will pay for themselves in clicks at this point. Or do you have a method you can share?

Edwin
8th January 2007, 12:33 AM
If you're spending money you can't really afford on domains, it's as bad as taking it to Vegas and betting it all on RED. Worse, actually, because in Vegas you have a 50/50 chance of doubling your money - whereas there's a good chance your domain "investment" will be worth $0 (no buyers interested, no traffic to bring PPC revenue) and the domain will expire, wasting your money.

Your best strategy is to sell your first few domains and make MORE money to buy more domains (if you want to register more) - that's a quick and easy test to see if it's worth trying to continue in domaining, or if you should give up.

Frankly, there are probably 20,000 people in the world who are "domainers" in the sense that they own a reasonable amount of domains and hope to make money (or even lots of money) from them. But there are probably no more than 500-1,000 really "successful" domainers (making much more than regfee) and the other 90-95% of folks are deluding themselves.

Domains are not a get-rich-quick scheme. Sure, some folks get lucky - and some folks seem to make their own "luck" - but on AVERAGE people are losing their shirts in this business.

You can see that in here as well as on other forums - for everyone sitting on a hill of generics, there are 20 people or more sitting on a mountain of junk domains.

Lmg67
8th January 2007, 12:37 AM
Eat cereal and milk for breakfast and dinner every day like me. Don't go to restaurants. Stay away from stores. Wait for movies to come out on DVD and rent them instead of going to the theatre. Hang out at home with your friends instead of going somewhere that costs money. Find a small extra side job like tutoring or whatever works for your profession. Go to the cheaper grocery stores (like Aldi's or Shop 'n Save here in the U.S.). Cut your cat's hair yourself instead of taking him to the groomer like you used to. Check over all your receipts and bills to make sure you didn't get overcharged for anything. Steal toilet paper from public restrooms. Make sure you are wisely using your electricity so the bill isn't too high. Buy household items and presents at the dollar store.

And then when you get rich, you can live like a normal person again...make that a RICHER than normal person!

p.s. The cereal for two meals a day is bad advice. Not healthy.

filmlion
8th January 2007, 12:40 AM
flipping IDN names for 3x reg fee and building their own porfolio with the profits.

PPC income only.
Domain for domain...

my methods chosen. :)) i do believe in idn, but don't want to spend anything that i will be sorry for... no more than $500 per year, i guess. :) meanwhile, i still want to be sure, i'll have a good big portfolio when the time comes...

thanks for all the feedback, guys!

blastfromthepast
8th January 2007, 12:54 AM
my methods chosen. :)) i do believe in idn, but don't want to spend anything that i will be sorry for... no more than $500 per year, i guess. :) meanwhile, i still want to be sure, i'll have a good big portfolio when the time comes...

Not going to happend. If you believe in something, you surely should put more than $500 into it. Seriously. You aren't going to build a big portfolio on $500. Even at reg fee a big portfolio will take at least few thousand.

markits
8th January 2007, 12:54 AM

thanks for all the feedback, guys!

I am trying to limit to no more than $500 per week.
Idns won't yield enough PPC revs right now. I guess Edwin's suggestion is the most sensible way for beginners.

xxbossmanxx
8th January 2007, 12:56 AM
There is a very small percentage of IDN that will pay for themselves in clicks at this point. Or do you have a method you can share?

I dev sites and work all angles of the net. I own many websites, some make nice money. Developed sites get ranked and get hits.

touchring
8th January 2007, 01:02 AM
For primary reg, using IDN PPC income.

For secondary buys, using the 9k i made from ASCII flipping a year ago.

If you're spending money you can't really afford on domains, it's as bad as taking it to Vegas and betting it all on RED. Worse, actually, because in Vegas you have a 50/50 chance of doubling your money - whereas there's a good chance your domain "investment" will be worth $0 (no buyers interested, no traffic to bring PPC revenue) and the domain will expire, wasting your money.

It looks like we're not far from knowing whether the domains are worth $0, at least going by RD's by April or never theory. Only 4 mths to go! :o

filmlion
8th January 2007, 01:23 AM
what's the theory? where can i read about it? interesting... :)) yes, Edwin's idea is great, that's what i am doing right now by selling оборот.com (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/8400-%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%82-com-starting-bid-%2410-a.html#post53162) - great commercial domain... go for it while bids are still low.

Drewbert
8th January 2007, 01:51 AM
Cat's get their hair cut?

8th January 2007, 01:55 AM
http://www.mandm.ws/FunPhotos/AngryCat1.jpg

LOL

bwhhisc
8th January 2007, 01:59 AM
I dev sites and work all angles of the net. I own many websites, some make nice money. Developed sites get ranked and get hits.

You are talking about ASCII websites at this point?

filmlion
8th January 2007, 03:42 AM
is there any way to make money on idn domains besides ppc-s? maybe the best solution is really to develop sites...?

touchring
8th January 2007, 04:29 AM
is there any way to make money on idn domains besides ppc-s? maybe the best solution is really to develop sites...?

If you got good names, you can try reselling, but they have got to be really good names to be worth some money.

If you just register names now and try to sell, it would be a waste of time because you will only cover one year, how about the following year? and the year after the following year?

blastfromthepast
8th January 2007, 04:41 AM

Yes. Find end users to buy.

Olney
8th January 2007, 06:03 AM
I'm with using my day Job to fund my portfolio. I suggest budgeting your buys. I won't have a portfolio that takes up more than 20% of what I can make cash in hand besides domain sales. This is advice for before the market is fully started in your target language.

Also if you have a partner "of the love interest kind" tell them your investment will bring them a present each time you land a big sale. When you get a big sale use at least half for renewals & large portion for a gift for them. They usually chill out with nagging & see your point after that.

Also buy what you see as have commercial value only. Domaining is more that Parking strategies. Put yourself in the shoes of your potential buyer (end user), does a company need your domain? Try to get generics that you can at least think of 5 to 10 companies that NEED your domain. This limits your spending.

touchring
8th January 2007, 06:11 AM
I'm with using my day Job to fund my portfolio. I suggest budgeting your buys. I won't have a portfolio that takes up more than 20% of what I can make cash in hand besides domain sales. This is advice for before the market is fully started in your target language.

Also if you have a partner "of the love interest kind" tell them your investment will bring them a present each time you land a big sale. When you get a big sale use at least half for renewals & large portion for a gift for them. They usually chill out with nagging & see your point after that.

Also buy what you see as have commercial value only. Domaining is more that Parking strategies. Put yourself in the shoes of your potential buyer (end user), does a company need your domain? Try to get generics that you can at least think of 5 to 10 companies that NEED your domain. This limits your spending.

Does this strategy now work? Can names still be sold big?

Is it still possible to find commercial names that are worth registering?

6-7 mths ago, it might work, but not so sure now.

burnsinternet
8th January 2007, 06:24 AM
Daytime job and other income funds it. Selling ASCII & IDN domains, parking, affiliates, etc count as other income.

rhys
8th January 2007, 06:32 AM
For primary reg, using IDN PPC income.

For secondary buys, using the 9k i made from ASCII flipping a year ago.

It looks like we're not far from knowing whether the domains are worth $0, at least going by RD's by April or never theory. Only 4 mths to go! :o

I guess I for one don't subscribe to that theory. I'm in this for a while. How much will it cost me to buy an option to selectively buyout RD's portfolio at reg fee come May if things don't work out with his theory?

burnsinternet
8th January 2007, 06:44 AM
RD won't sell out cheap, if at all. He'll just pare down his holding if he really sees a longer delay.

On a related note, isn't the DNAME testing going to happen around the same time as the Asian autoupdate?

Olney
8th January 2007, 06:46 AM
Does this strategy now work? Can names still be sold big?

Is it still possible to find commercial names that are worth registering?

6-7 mths ago, it might work, but not so sure now.

I believe it will still work for about a year or two, there will still be new ccTLDs introduced & the same theory will apply.

Lmg67
8th January 2007, 07:01 AM
Drewbert you had me laughing out loud!!

touchring
8th January 2007, 07:17 AM
I guess I for one don't subscribe to that theory. I'm in this for a while. How much will it cost me to buy an option to selectively buyout RD's portfolio at reg fee come May if things don't work out with his theory?

His theory is not entirely without basis, it might affect second tier IDNs, e.g. less popular keywords and compound words, .nets, etc, especially those with no type-in.

And needless to say, top generics with traffic are always gold.

But i must say, i won't bet 100% on that theory, even for just a segment of the market.

filmlion
8th January 2007, 07:23 AM
still guys, what is the theory about? :)) and thanks a lot for so many great advices! :)