PDA

View Full Version : Great Drops this Morning (PST)

passengerpigeon
8th February 2006, 06:48 PM
who here picked up any good drops today? There were some great Japanese generics to be had.
DomainSite wouldn't let me bulk register a list, so I had to go back and see what was left, one at a time.

I was only able to register 2 out of my list of fifteen:
a single character
彼.com
and "diamond" in JP.

ダイアモンド.com

who's willing to say what they scored?

gammascalper
8th February 2006, 07:13 PM
who here picked up any good drops today? There were some great Japanese generics to be had.
DomainSite wouldn't let me bulk register a list, so I had to go back and see what was left, one at a time.

a single character
彼.com
and "diamond" in JP.

ダイアモンド.com

I got a big fat 0 out of 12.

But I did register スケボー.jp after I did the parsing this weekend :-)

touchring
8th February 2006, 07:18 PM
I screwed up doing the actual drop, and decided to get a few consolation prizes outside of my registration list - no one went for these, so i took them.

アイスクリーム.com 16320 IceCream.com
ホイール.com 36837 Wheel.com
健康保険.net 22630 HealthInsurance.net

Clotho
8th February 2006, 07:20 PM
What list are you working from? I couldn't find any of those on the drop list posted on the IDNForums blog.

gammascalper
8th February 2006, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't rely on the blog. I grab mine from pool or snapnames.

touchring
8th February 2006, 07:23 PM
Anyone has better scores? Apparently, the same guy is getting better and better, now, even the top 6-10 names, i suspect, he almost took them all. :-|

passengerpigeon
8th February 2006, 07:24 PM
Ice Cream and Wheel! Came very close to regging those myself. Good grabs.

Clotho, the way I do it is I download the simple text list from SnapNames.com (pending delete list, not priority partener), then I sort it for the xn- names; after that, I plug them into a bulk punycode converter and start making my way through them checking the google, translation and overture. Takes about 45min for me to go through a whole day's.

gammascalper
8th February 2006, 07:26 PM
I suspect he did take the majority of good ones.

I never saw ヘルス.com drop among others.

I hope Pool and Snapnames get their act together soon. Then we'll see what these fetch in auction.

huronargentino
8th February 2006, 07:37 PM
I screwed up doing the actual drop, and decided to get a few consolation prizes outside of my registration list - no one went for these, so i took them.

ホイール.com 36837 Wheel.com
健康保険.net 22630 HealthInsurance.net

Hey, i have HEALTHINSURANCE.jp (in japanese obviously!)

touchring
8th February 2006, 07:38 PM
Ice Cream and Wheel! Came very close to regging those myself. Good grabs.

Clotho, the way I do it is I download the simple text list from SnapNames.com (pending delete list, not priority partener), then I sort it for the xn- names; after that, I plug them into a bulk punycode converter and start making my way through them checking the google, translation and overture. Takes about 45min for me to go through a whole day's.

If you had those in your list, you would have gotten them, i took them about 10 mins after the drop.

Hey, i have HEALTHINSURANCE.jp (in japanese obviously!)

I took that for consolation prize. :-)

huronargentino
8th February 2006, 07:42 PM
I was about to register those.
I also reged an available .cn domain and .jp domain
I will make a ruffle at the end of february with all idnpros members.
Each post will give a ticket to win the price.

touchring
8th February 2006, 07:52 PM

a single character
彼.com
and "diamond" in JP.

ダイアモンド.com

The diamond you got is different from the actual one listed on JP OVT:

41350 ダイヤモンド
20805 ダイヤモンド シティー
12543 ダイヤモンド フェリー

bramiozo
8th February 2006, 08:03 PM
I added something of a droplist to idntools.net, nothing fancy but it show's you what's dropping.
It's based on the pool and snapnames list, I can update it once a week or so.

Clotho
8th February 2006, 08:14 PM
Thank you for the information Passengerpigeon and thanks for the tool Bram.

thegenius1
8th February 2006, 09:46 PM
Very happy to see that the "korean guy" isnt grabbing everything.... I would have thought he would have snatched Diamond up like a Nice diamond on the Ground,,, great Reg:)

Giant
8th February 2006, 10:41 PM
Anyone has better scores? Apparently, the same guy is getting better and better, now, even the top 6-10 names, i suspect, he almost took them all. :-|

Which guy are you talking about? Which domain does he have? Thanks.

passengerpigeon
8th February 2006, 11:56 PM
The diamond you got is different from the actual one listed on JP OVT:

41350 ダイヤモンド
20805 ダイヤモンド シティー
12543 ダイヤモンド フェリー

Yeah, that middle character that the overture tool gives you in the middle of diamond looks different from the one I regged . I'm pretty sure they are just two font variants, though. I checked the google results on "ダイヤモンド " against those of "ダイアモンド" and they both return the same # of results.

Edwin
9th February 2006, 12:00 AM
Yeah, that middle character that the overture tool gives you in the middle of diamond looks different from the one I regged . I'm pretty sure they are just two font variants, though. I checked the google results on "ダイヤモンド " against those of "ダイアモンド" and they both return the same # of results.

That's because you're searching wrong!

Try this:
ダイアモンド -ダイヤモンド

Leaves you with about 1/4 of the results, indicating that there is a 3:1 preference for the "ヤ" form.

The above makes sense because Google is automatically bunching both forms together in the results, so when you explictly exclude (-) the ヤ form what's left is your version.

passengerpigeon
9th February 2006, 12:12 AM
thanks for that, edwin.

also, the version I have doesn't show up in the Overture at all.

too bad, so sad.

gammascalper
9th February 2006, 12:48 AM
In general, when there's a vowel sound preceding the "a" sound, which one is more commonly used? ya or a?

IDNCowboy
9th February 2006, 01:04 AM
what overture for japan are you using for "dictionary" words for these drops?

touchring
9th February 2006, 05:18 AM
Most of the register.com drops are single-word consumer products, so overtures are not the 100K+ type you get from sex, photos, movies, tv serials compound keywords. Only 1 kana out of 200+ that dropped actually breeched the 100K mark - Tires.com/Tyres.com.

Take for instance the 2 consolation prizes i took:

ホイール.com 36837 Wheel.com

On hindsight, 2 of the consolation prizes i took aren't that bad after all! The low OVT really disguised their true value. Tires, a $100 billion industry, will be a terrific catch! - but would be virtually impossible since the "registrar" will definitely take it in less than a second.

IDNCowboy
9th February 2006, 05:42 AM
I've been regging some dropping dictionary words(that are hot) with 7k-12k ovt japanese... am i screwed or you think for the $7 .com or $30 .jp theres not too much of a diff as its not that hard to recoup the investment/

touchring
9th February 2006, 06:53 AM
What exactly did you register?

OVT doesn't says much, i went through the list again, spotted and took Cigar.com, OVT only 3074, but is a prime target for ecommerce shop.

Also, i noticed that as much as 20% of the kana are "typos" that produces OVT (but not exact mach, e.g. small caps), a lot of people actually registered them based on the latest findings.

I find that ドットコム or dot com good enough as it is brandable, so i'm staying away from .jp for the time being.

IDNCowboy
9th February 2006, 07:03 AM
What exactly did you register?

OVT doesn't says much, i went through the list again, spotted and took Cigar.com, OVT only 3074, but is a prime target for ecommerce shop.

Also, i noticed that as much as 20% of the kana are "typos" that produces OVT (but not exact mach, e.g. small caps), a lot of people actually registered them based on the latest findings.

I find that ドットコム or dot com good enough as it is brandable, so i'm staying away from .jp for the time being.
Cigar, is a perfect example of what i meant. I almost regged it but didn't want to get sued so i didn't lol .

Is that the main term for cigar in japan? It doesn't seem alot of ppl search for it there... i would think it would be up there(not as much) as cigarrettes

touchring
9th February 2006, 07:11 AM
I just registered Cigar 5 mins ago, i ran through the list without checking availability and cigar caught my eye.

It's not the main term - main terms is "葉巻" (OVT 9000+), but the kana form, "シガー", has more Google results 1,450,000 versus 928,000 for "葉巻".

http://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=%22%E3%82%B7%E3%82%AC%E3%83%BC%22&ei=UTF-8&fr=top&x=wrt&meta=vc%3D

IDNCowboy
9th February 2006, 07:15 AM
I just registered Cigar 5 mins ago, i ran through the list without checking availability and cigar caught my eye.

It's not the main term - main terms is "葉巻" (OVT 9000+), but the kana form, "シガー", has more Google results 1,450,000 versus 928,000 for "葉巻".

http://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=%22%E3%82%B7%E3%82%AC%E3%83%BC%22&ei=UTF-8&fr=top&x=wrt&meta=vc%3D
is there a source that will give both versions of the translation? (both scripts)

touchring
9th February 2006, 07:24 AM
is there a source that will give both versions of the translation? (both scripts)

Just search シガー, and you see the other version beside it for most websites selling Cigars.

alex
9th February 2006, 07:31 AM

I almost registered that one yesterday. Looking at the Google listings and ads, I also figured "シガー" was the better choice of the two (with my passable Japanese skills).

I've also been looking at the number of Google images returned when trying to decide between two alternate terms.

シガー 13,800 images
葉巻 6,630 images

葉巻 is read as "hamaki" はまき
シガー is the Japanese equivalent of the English pronunciation of cigar: "shigaa"

touchring
9th February 2006, 07:40 AM
The stats are indeed conflicting, 葉巻 returns 9946 OVT, while the kana version gave only 3074.

I think it helped that i just woke up from a night's sleep. Yesterday i was so tired that my mind went blank. The drop time is really to the disadvantage of people living in Asia.

Edwin
9th February 2006, 07:56 AM
There were a lot of goodies left. I'm still going through the list, but I found...

jeuxdesociété.com - doesn't translate exactly, but it encompasses board games, card games etc.

カウボーイ.com - cowboy

サバイバル.com - survival (I own "survival game")

ライティング.com - writing

携帯検索.com - mobile search (!) Overture is low but Google is 11,000,000 in quotes.

IDNCowboy
9th February 2006, 08:21 AM
The stats are indeed conflicting, 葉巻 returns 9946 OVT, while the kana version gave only 3074.

I think it helped that i just woke up from a night's sleep. Yesterday i was so tired that my mind went blank. The drop time is really to the disadvantage of people living in Asia.
I've heard many diff drop times... Someone said its 11AM PST which is like 2PM EST

Anyone know the correct time?

touchring
9th February 2006, 08:57 AM
There were a lot of goodies left. I'm still going through the list, but I found...

jeuxdesociété.com - doesn't translate exactly, but it encompasses board games, card games etc.

カウボーイ.com - cowboy

サバイバル.com - survival (I own "survival game")

ライティング.com - writing

携帯検索.com - mobile search (!) Overture is low but Google is 11,000,000 in quotes.

Lighting.com is a good one, i hesitated when i saw that 照明 had more counts - another instance of judgement distortion due to OVT.

Just took サーフボード, surfboard.com. There seems to be 2 kind of products associated with this keyword, surfboard and "internet surfboard"??

Edwin
9th February 2006, 09:00 AM
Lighting.com is a good one, i hesitated when i saw that 照明 had more counts - another instance of judgement distortion due to OVT.

It's because it's "writing" - the Overture results all relate to DVD writing software and so on. It's not "lighting" even though it sounds like it.

touchring
9th February 2006, 09:02 AM
It's because it's "writing" - the Overture results all relate to DVD writing software and so on. It's not "lighting" even though it sounds like it.

judgement distortion -> my misjudgement.

I think it's lighting - http://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=%A5%E9%A5%A4%A5%C6%A5%A3%A5%F3%A5%B0&fr=top&src=top&search.x=16&search.y=8

Lighting is more valuable than DVD software.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, last night's winners list out. Our Korean friend took most of the top domains, including tires.com.