PDA

View Full Version : use unicode to write website?

llace
9th January 2007, 01:09 AM
Hi folks,
Am wondering what language I need to write my website in. xn--f9j3ab9ev80s0xomst.com 子供のための本.com I want it to be read in Japanese. I will be using Japanese characters for most pages. Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana.
Should I use unicode, or unicode utf8 ? Thanks so much for your help. ;)
I put up a test site unicode utf8 and it works for me but not sure. will others have to select uicode utf8 also?

Clotho
9th January 2007, 02:05 AM
PM sent.

Not about encoding tho. I am curious myself. Does anyone know?

llace
9th January 2007, 02:43 AM
actually I think it is encoding. New at this but want to know if unicode utf8 will be able to be read by Japanese and in English. Using explorer 7 should resolve this maybe? Thanks. :)

xxbossmanxx
9th January 2007, 02:50 AM
UTF-8 which is also unicode. :)

Olney
9th January 2007, 02:59 AM
I used to use shift-JIS for sites in Japanese but I would highly recommend UTF-8 now. If the site is targetting mobile users you should use shift-JIS.

llace
9th January 2007, 07:03 AM
:p Thank you all for the Re: Much appreciate your expertise. Thank you Clotho for the pm.
One more part of the question please. What language should I register an idn under when the registrar asks what language will I write the site as? Please excuse my ignorance. Why would it matter what language the site is written in?
Thank you all again very much.

xxbossmanxx
9th January 2007, 07:53 AM
You are prob. talking about the domainsite option? I always thought that was what language you wanted to admin the name in.