PDA

View Full Version : registering .bz IDN impossible?

IDNguy
11th January 2007, 05:48 PM
Hi,

I currently have a couple of IDN .bz domain names I am trying to renew.

The registrar says that .bz extensions no longer allow for IDN registrations or renewals.

Has anyone else run into this?

The strange thing is I can load the domains in my browser and they will load.

Please help as they expire in 3 days and I need an answer. I have contacted Afilias who apparently took over .bz registration services in May or June 06 but I haven't heard anything back.

Rubber Duck
11th January 2007, 05:56 PM
Hi,

I currently have a couple of IDN .bz domain names I am trying to renew.

The registrar says that .bz extensions no longer allow for IDN registrations or renewals.

Has anyone else run into this?

The strange thing is I can load the domains in my browser and they will load.

Please help as they expire in 3 days and I need an answer. I have contacted Afilias who apparently took over .bz registration services in May or June 06 but I haven't heard anything back.

I have never heard of anyone investing in dot BZ for IDN, and I don't think it is particularly popular for ASCII these days either. If anyone can help you, I think it will be Drewbert, who I believe lives there.

joeyskip
11th January 2007, 06:43 PM
Check out http://www.belizenic.bz/

They where selling all types of charactors in the past, &, !, +, and they got hit pretty hard by the "Internet Cops" and are be forced to adjust.

I don't have the link to the story, but just seeing what belizenic.bz trys to offer for sale you can pretty much guess the rest.

Fka200
11th January 2007, 07:53 PM
ANIMALSEX.BZ is a real bargain at $500! LOL! (on their premium .bz page)

I would email registrar and search the web for a # to whomever you need to call ASAP.... but my first call/email would be to my registrar

IDNguy
11th January 2007, 07:59 PM
Check out http://www.belizenic.bz/

They where selling all types of charactors in the past, &, !, +, and they got hit pretty hard by the "Internet Cops" and are be forced to adjust.

I don't have the link to the story, but just seeing what belizenic.bz trys to offer for sale you can pretty much guess the rest.

I can believe they got harassed by the internet cops. I bought the domains because no one else offered those symbols. The domains were (are?) handled by some proprietary domain system that used to be run by Neteka.

Just in case there is one other person out there who bought these .bz IDN's here what I have found out:

Afilias responded saying that:

"I am sorry at this point .BZ IDN's are not available for registration. "

My registrar responded by saying:

"The .bz registry has migrated from RRP protocol to EPP protocol. So they are not supporting multilingual domains now. So we cannot make modifications now. Once they start supporting, we will modify the name server."

and

"The registry is not supporting the Multilingual TLD's now. Once after the registry
start supporting only you can renew the domain."

Still waiting for another response to explain that last one.

Anyone else who registered these symbol domains knows that they were very expensive and required 2 year regs. They were offered only through one registrar that I know of.

The system never did seem to work properly because I dont think they used punycode to resolve their domains and so some older browsers (IDN enabled or not) would not accept the domain if I remember correctly.

Their system allows me to have my domain displayed in the browser window but only as a "Post-Forwarding Domain Display Option" This basically means you are allowed to forward your domain to another domain or forward to another domain and retain your .bz name in the browser url window. This requires that I have to use their NameServer otherwise I can't really use the domains.

Just for that one other person this might apply to.

Drewbert
11th January 2007, 08:19 PM
If afilias is running .bz (I thought that was Verisign's baby) they may be doing the same as now unsupported .org IDN's - they reg data remains even thgouh the names have "expired" and if and when they do re-enable them, the existing owner will have the chance to reactivate.

I think.