PDA

View Full Version : funniest mistakes made when reg'ing IDN

Lmg67
13th January 2007, 07:00 PM
I'm stuck indoors as it's freezing and ice outside....

so with plenty of time on my hands, I was laughing about a mistaken IDN reg. I made a while back and thought I'd share, and hear others' stories too.....(has this question been asked before?)

It was my first and only venture into the .cn world. I was trying out place names, and hit 'gold' with the name Europe.cn. (using a Chinese translation website for help of course). I was so excited.

Emboldened, I typed 'China' into the translator, and then tried out the Chinese symbol it gave me. AVAILABLE!!!!!!! My heart was pounding I was so freaked out and excited. I paid for these two immediately and dreamt of my soon-to-be luxurious lifestyle.

I was too new to assume that China (in Chinese).cn would obviously have already been registered, probably back in the dinosaur age. Or to check with other translation sites, Google, etc, before reg'ing.

Guess what I registered??

Europe was correct.

China was correct too...the kind you keep in your kitchen cabinet!!

(Still, its Google results are in the multi-millions!)

Any others?

touchring
13th January 2007, 07:10 PM
Are you sure you got Europe? I got this:

CDN WHOIS Data

Preserved name, not available for online registration, please contact +86-10-58813000-1

Lmg67
13th January 2007, 09:34 PM
I re-checked and both dictionaries I used said my IDN is correct: Europe. Maybe there's more than one way to spell it, or maybe the traditional varient is being reserved, while I have the simplified varient.

Thanks for the heads up though.

1st dictionary:
http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=worddictbasic&wdqb=%E6%AC%A7&wdrst=0&go=Search

xn--dkw.cn (欧.cn) --- my IDN

simp.ch. pinyan english
欧 ou1 Europe

A 2nd dictionary:

欧 [ou1] /Europe/

p.s. I'm not opposed to selling it for a good offer.

Prodigy
14th January 2007, 02:10 AM
It's an incomplete particle. You can stop dreaming now.

sakillll
14th January 2007, 02:22 AM
no!
it is the last name.

thefabfive
14th January 2007, 02:23 AM
Many Chinese words are comprised of two characters.

Europe, in Simplified Chinese would be 欧洲. Compare the Google trends for 欧 and 欧洲. (http://google.com/trends?q=欧洲, 欧)

This basic little fact has fooled many an IDNer :)

Lmg67
14th January 2007, 08:39 AM
Oy. Well it seems to get a little traffic. And the Google results are very high. It's a single letter. Someone will buy it, even if for a greatly greatly reduced price.

ChinaStar, luckily my dreams aren't resting solely on that IDN.

I think I will just stick with Hebrew from now on. :)