PDA

View Full Version : Where is the IDN Rush?

dabsi
17th January 2007, 06:07 AM
We are mid January, this year has started with 4 nice transactions à €xxxx each ( 3 .com and 1 eu, yes EU!); the EU transaction will be certainly published at Sedo and probabbly DN Journal.

Our Mobi is also generating some respectable offers.

As far as IDN are concerned , we only get offers of resellers or other IDN 'experts'.
Is it a flop?

And Explorer 7? hahahahahaha. blablablabla

Fortunately we have only real premium generic IDN so that they can subsidise themself; we are dropping all the 'waste'. For your information also our best french IDN brings 250 Uniques per day (pure types in).

So it's time to be realistic and rethink your investment strategie and stop to take nepal.com in arabic or amman.com in chinese.

Last but not least and in order to proove how IDN blind some people are:

Last week, I was 'hunting' for some french names; you know what?
all versions of jeuvidéos (videogames) were taken as IDN and jeuvideos.net as ascii was free.

DABSI

burnsinternet
17th January 2007, 06:22 AM
I have found that a lot of French ASCII dot nets are unregistered. I have one dot net with over 900,000 French Overture and it never gets a view or click. At the time, I was surprised to find so many unregistered French dot nets, but now I know why they were unregistered. They are dead weight sitting in my portfolio. French dot coms are another story. French use .com and .fr, from what I can tell.

touchring
17th January 2007, 06:27 AM
So it's time to be realistic and rethink your investment strategie and stop to take nepal.com in arabic or amman.com in chinese.

Wassi, you talk a lot about how worthless Arabic names are, but what about the christmas present you promised me? :)

burnsinternet
17th January 2007, 06:34 AM
I think it is too early to judge IDN. It will be interesting to see the value of .mobi in one year relative to IDN.com.

Drewbert
17th January 2007, 06:48 AM
Fortunately we have only real premium generic IDN so that they can subsidise themself; we are dropping all the 'waste'. For your information also our best french IDN brings 250 Uniques per day (pure types in).

When does the auction at Sedo start?

touchring
17th January 2007, 06:49 AM
I have found that a lot of French ASCII dot nets are unregistered. I have one dot net with over 900,000 French Overture and it never gets a view or click. At the time, I was surprised to find so many unregistered French dot nets, but now I know why they were unregistered. They are dead weight sitting in my portfolio. French dot coms are another story. French use .com and .fr, from what I can tell.

That French gets a lot more traffic than Arabic or Chinese is a fallacy - often there is a similar ascii site and the French IDN becomes a typo. Yes, there might be exceptions, but in general high ovt may not come with high type-in.

Yes, French .nets get a great deal less (perhaps <5%) type-in than French .com, unless there's a similar .net ascii site. The situation, though might not vary much for othre languages like CN or JP (unless they get indexed, then in that case, any extension will get traffic). :)

markits
17th January 2007, 07:06 AM
Hmmm, Arabic? I have just finished 4500 Arabic words search at google adwords and picked up few top keyword domains (com). There are only few Arabic keywords that are in adwords campaign. You know what? a high proportion of these adwords bided keywords are still unregistered with the com extension. I am not that surprised to hear an Arabic idn investor saying that idn is crapy. Why do people need to spend $xxx-xxxx to buy your names while they can still spend $7 for good names?

burnsinternet
17th January 2007, 07:09 AM
Hmmm, Arabic? I have just finished 4500 Arabic words search at google adwords and picked up few top keyword domains (com). There are only few Arabic keywords that are in adwords campaign. You know what? a high proportion of these adwords bided terms are still unregistered with the com extension.

OK, please PM the list! Or tell me how the heck you found them! :confused:

That French gets a lot more traffic than Arabic or Chinese is a fallacy - often there is a similar ascii site and the French IDN becomes a typo. Yes, there might be exceptions, but in general high ovt may not come with high type-in.

Yes, French .nets get a great deal less (perhaps <5%) type-in than French .com, unless there's a similar .net ascii site. The situation, though might not vary much for othre languages like CN or JP (unless they get indexed, then in that case, any extension will get traffic). :)

My best French names are French IDN.com and I have some good French ascii.com. The IDNs get better traffic and CTR. Russian is by far the best for traffic and CTR in my portfolio. Only Swedish or Polish come close to Russian traffic!

touchring
17th January 2007, 07:15 AM
My best French names are French IDN.com and I have some good French ascii.com. The IDNs get better traffic and CTR. Russian is by far the best for traffic and CTR in my portfolio. Only Swedish or Polish come close to Russian traffic!

Btw, i think i solved the mystery of the hike in latins the recent 2 months, due to Firefox increased usage - not IE7, based on what i can make out of my analytics data. :)

burnsinternet
17th January 2007, 07:18 AM
Hey, man, whatever works. I don't sweat about what I cannot control. But I like the traffic increase!

rhys
17th January 2007, 07:21 AM
Why is everyone freaking out all the time in displays of remorse and self-doubt about whether IDNs pan out or not. Of course they will, given time. If you can't give it time then let me pick yours up for reg fee and go use the money to drink yourself into a stupor (quietly someplace other than this forum).

touchring
17th January 2007, 07:34 AM
Hey, man, whatever works. I don't sweat about what I cannot control. But I like the traffic increase!

Read behind my lines - what i mean is that the impact of IE7 isn't upon us yet. So more upside to come. :)

burnsinternet
17th January 2007, 07:42 AM
I am seeing more upside this year than I really would have guessed, so you are preaching to the choir.

I am just thrilled that I went after Russian, Polish, etc. when it seemed that everyone was chasing Asian domains. I have been lucky, I guess, that I was an early failure with Japanese domains. I was able to go back later and get some good .jps at lower prices.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, but I ain't crying about IDNs and never have. Once my IDNs outpaced my ASCII PPC, it was 'off to the races'.... No looking back and fresh regging every week now. You'd be surprised at what you'll find if you look one last time.

Why is everyone freaking out all the time in displays of remorse and self-doubt about whether IDNs pan out or not. Of course they will, given time. If you can't give it time then let me pick yours up for reg fee and go use the money to drink yourself into a stupor (quietly someplace other than this forum).

Everyone? Take a poll? Is this really the general feeling? I must be out of the loop here.

alpha
17th January 2007, 08:11 AM
chill out.

Asian IE7 isn't even out yet.

it's only "out" when it gets released by AU and has had time to settle in.

only domainers and geeks visit MS download site and install a new browser, 99% of the population havent got a clue whats going on.

just chill out and give it time.

give it an opportunity to fail and then say its failed. no don't jump the gun

and dabsi, stop willy-waving

Rubber Duck
17th January 2007, 08:56 AM
When does the auction at Sedo start?

Just as soon as they scrap the current platform and launch with entirely new encodement!

Read behind my lines - what i mean is that the impact of IE7 isn't upon us yet. So more upside to come. :)

No it isn't but you will know when it does.

sarcle
17th January 2007, 12:51 PM
Hey Wasabi, Wassi, Dabsi, whatever you go by. The land rush happened in 2000. After no browser support, IDNs lost interest in the public eye.

Do you think anyone here actually cares what you have to say or believe it?

We hear about you getting offers all the time, where's your proof? You don't have anything, NADA zip. So how about you do us all a favor and zip it yourself.

Prodigy
17th January 2007, 12:55 PM
Hey Wasabi, Wassi, Dabsi, whatever you go by. The land rush happened in 2000. After no browser support, IDNs lost interest in the public eye.

Do you think anyone here actually cares what you have to say or believe it?

We hear about you getting offers all the time, where's your proof? You don't have anything, NADA zip. So how about you do us all a favor and zip it yourself.

I like this guy and what he has to say!

jose
17th January 2007, 04:28 PM
Last week, I was 'hunting' for some french names; you know what?
all versions of jeuvidéos (videogames) were taken as IDN and jeuvideos.net as ascii was free.
DABSI

Dabsi, I am sorry for having to say this, but If you indeed speak french, don't mislead other members of the forum who don't and please state the truth about the above sentence...