PDA

View Full Version : Is this what we want for our IDNs? The "Big Goal"

sarcle
19th January 2007, 06:07 AM
I just looked at my adsense expecting nothing special I hardly make anything off of it, I use yahoo more because of this. But a big strange number in dollars earned startled me. Could it be, is that what I earned today?

Then I looked at the source of this thinking this is to good to be true. Someone found my sites and are clicking on them to try to get me banned; I've read those horror stories on the forums.

Long story short:

I just put up a little website looking for Japanese web developers not much information on the website itself. I thought it would do okay in the search engines but the site itself would have no chance for a top spot in the search engines considering it's a BIG term and there are heavily SEOed and promoted sites in this particular genre paying BIG DOLLARS to advertise.

A little after two weeks and I'm #10. There is no content, there is no seo work. I'm ranked in this spot simply because of this domain name. They are pouring in by the hundreds!

So here it is: 職業 (http://職業.jp) (occupations)

Japanese Overture Score: 152.555 " Link (http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/?term=%E8%81%B7%E6%A5%AD&mkt=jp&lang=ja_JP) " Normally it's over 200,000 but it's low this month for some reason.

Japanese Bids: ¥127 ¥126 ¥125

Google Trends:
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6372/occupationstrendsgk4.th.jpg (http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=occupationstrendsgk4.jpg)

Yahoo Search:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5462/occupationsyz5.th.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=occupationsyz5.jpg)

So, yeah I'm VERY EXCITED ABOUT THIS. Idns will take years? Guess again critics.

So what are you still in this thread for? Get your 'effing sites made now!

touchring
19th January 2007, 06:19 AM
Nice, congrats.

Btw, so it works without contents?? That partly explains why yahoo is losing marketshare. :)

sarcle
19th January 2007, 06:23 AM
Btw, so it works without contents?? That partly explains why yahoo is losing market share. :)

I'm getting there. For the time being I may have to put up some wiki crap until the site is complete, I have big plans for it. And this is just the beginning.

touchring
19th January 2007, 06:30 AM
This is incredible, any comments Olney? Those of you with thousands of jp names, do you experience anything like this? Or is this an "algo flux"?

sarcle
19th January 2007, 06:33 AM
This is incredible, any comments Olney? Those of you with thousands of jp names, do you experience anything like this? Or is this an "algo flux"?

It's not just on .jps it's on .coms too. I've a bunch of adult sites in top spots.

touchring
19th January 2007, 06:36 AM
It's not just on .jps it's on .coms too. I've a bunch of adult sites in top spots.

Ok, good news to me. I'm mostly on .coms. :)

Is it that any domain that is removed from parking can achieve top spots, or must something else be done?

sarcle
19th January 2007, 06:39 AM
Ok, good news to me. I'm mostly on .coms. :)

Is it that any domain that is removed from parking can achieve top spots, or must something else be done?

As you can see from the site I'm not doing anything special with it. It's plain and simple. Like I said I have plans in the making for it currently but I certainly didn't exect this to rank like it did so fast.

Olney
19th January 2007, 06:46 AM
This is the experience many of us are getting.
I would highly suggest using more than 3 pages, Adsense Japan emailed me to add more pages to comply with standards. I have a long record with them (Adsense US) so they gave me a friendly "get it right" email.

I really suggest people develop a few sites for testing. This is happening with us & Yahoo! Japan but the same thing could apply for Baidu, Yandex etc.

Keep links to other sites to a minimum.

Congrats Sarcle.

yanni
19th January 2007, 06:50 AM
Nice going Adam. I would try beefing up the content there right now in order to maintain your position or even better it.

There's free content out there.

touchring
19th January 2007, 06:55 AM
This is the experience many of us are getting.
I would highly suggest using more than 3 pages, Adsense Japan emailed me to add more pages to comply with standards. I have a long record with them (Adsense US) so they gave me a friendly "get it right" email.

I really suggest people develop a few sites for testing. This is happening with us & Yahoo! Japan but the same thing could apply for Baidu, Yandex etc.

Congrats Sarcle.

Yup, 2nd time i get this "get it right - within 3 working days" email - just imagine if the mail gets spam filtered!

Neptune
19th January 2007, 06:59 AM
nice.. good news

also who are you hosting with?

thegenius1
19th January 2007, 06:59 AM
I just looked at my adsense expecting nothing special I hardly make anything off of it, I use yahoo more because of this. But a big strange number in dollars earned startled me. Could it be, is that what I earned today?

Then I looked at the source of this thinking this is to good to be true. Someone found my sites and are clicking on them to try to get me banned; I've read those horror stories on the forums.

Long story short:

I just put up a little website looking for Japanese web developers not much information on the website itself. I thought it would do okay in the search engines but the site itself would have no chance for a top spot in the search engines considering it's a BIG term and there are heavily SEOed and promoted sites in this particular genre paying BIG DOLLARS to advertise.

A little after two weeks and I'm #10. There is no content, there is no seo work. I'm ranked in this spot simply because of this domain name. They are pouring in by the hundreds!

So here it is: 職業 (http://職業.jp) (occupations)

Japanese Overture Score: 152.555 " Link (http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/?term=%E8%81%B7%E6%A5%AD&mkt=jp&lang=ja_JP) " Normally it's over 200,000 but it's low this month for some reason.

Japanese Bids: ¥127 ¥126 ¥125

Google Trends:
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6372/occupationstrendsgk4.th.jpg (http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=occupationstrendsgk4.jpg)

Yahoo Search:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5462/occupationsyz5.th.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=occupationsyz5.jpg)

So, yeah I'm VERY EXCITED ABOUT THIS. Idns will take years? Guess again critics.

So what are you still in this thread for? Get your 'effing sites made now!

I think that theory has some credibilty , i often wonder why some days i get click thru rate FROM 150-400 % , i think you hit the nail on the head. Their are some people out there that are pissed , so the question is what do we do about it ?

sarcle
19th January 2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks everyone. Like I said, I am in the plans right now for this to be a real site.

I put up just basic info for the time being to hopefully get a few emails from website developers, I never expected this. I'm sure with the money this is making from adsense they will be checking this site soon.

So what I need right now I guess until I can get this site fully developed is some decent content pertaining to this domain name itself. I don't want to just "borrow" wiki info and get docked for duplicate content, does anyone know where you can get free japanese articles?

Thanks again, this just prooves that the names themselves are doing the work. What's inside the site doesn't really matter to get ranked. But now that I am, I need to get something and fast.

nice.. good news

also who are you hosting with?

Hostgator.

thegenius1
19th January 2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks again, this just prooves that the names themselves are doing the work. What's inside the site doesn't really matter to get ranked. But now that I am, I need to get something and fast.

Hostgator.

Shhhhhh!!!!! b4 the idiots wake up !

yanni
19th January 2007, 07:24 AM
Adam, check you PM.

sarcle
19th January 2007, 07:28 AM
Adam, check you PM.

Yanni, you are the best. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Well, right now it's late. I'm going to go dream of the adsense dollars this is going to rack up through the night and put real content on it tomorrow.

Anyone else with hints or tips feel free to add them. We are all on this ride called IDN.

Plus post your sites. Let's see 'em. :)

Olney
19th January 2007, 07:29 AM
What's inside the side does matter. Make the content really relevant.
Also Sarcle you gave a great reason why I keep saying use Google Analytics, it shows a clear world graph with dots for where your users are.

You can acurately & quickly see where they are coming from.

sarcle
19th January 2007, 07:33 AM
What's inside the side does matter. Make the content really relevant.
Also Sarcle you gave a great reason why I keep saying use Google Analytics, it shows a clear world graph with dots for where your users are.

You can acurately & quickly see where they are coming from.

Yes, it does matter to maintain stability in the rankings for sure. That is why I'm going to get the relevant content as quickly as I can, but my eyes are closing at the moment.

And yes Google Analytics is a great tool.

markits
19th January 2007, 08:01 AM
IDN rocks!
IDN will be successful by it's own.

IDN pioneers and believers of native English speakers are truly the rocking kind.

alpha
19th January 2007, 08:22 AM
It feels good being a moonie

rhys
19th January 2007, 09:54 AM

Congrats Sarcle.

Olney,

Can you talk more about this please? Are we talking under 10 or under 50? Under 50 I already knew, but say under 10 would be real news to me. Thanks.

Sarcle,

Congrats dude. This is what myself, Olney, Genius, ChinaStar, and others have been telling everyone who own Japanese domains for months. Develop, Develop, Develop. Your SE ranking may fall over time, especially without content, dynamic content, and multiple external links but for developed domains it is possible to maintain a steady stream of traffic. This month I had a parked domain "breast.net" suddenly pop up #1 in yahoo.jp and I received 6 times more total traffic than I received with any other parked site. Then it popped off the top of the listings and there is no residual traffic. So develop, develop, develop.

Rubber Duck
19th January 2007, 10:54 AM
Something happened yesterday.

My great white hope that normally only get the odd impression here and there, suddenly got 7 in one day. Made 4 clicks and earnt me $0.38.

That never happened before!

rhys
19th January 2007, 12:46 PM
Something happened yesterday.

My great white hope that normally only get the odd impression here and there, suddenly got 7 in one day. Made 4 clicks and earnt me $0.38.

That never happened before!

Not to pop your bubble RD but that seems a little underwhelming. That has seriously never happened to you before? :o

Yahoo.jp did apparently do a refresh on rankings yesterday. I noticed that 柴犬.jp (http://柴犬.jp)which used to be a #1 ranked site and had since fallen back 2 or 3 pages is back on top at #1 as of yesterday. In just a few hours have had 189 views and 67 clicks.

Rubber Duck
19th January 2007, 12:58 PM
You are not wrong there. I realise very much that I am a domainer and not a developer. I paid for the development. It appears to have been a waste of money, but I am not particularly blaming anyone. I think to date dot JP have been favoured over dot coms, but perhaps for techincal reasons.

There could be a lot of factors. Hosting may be a factor. Any site that goes as slow as this bloody forum will not be getting clicks in 2100!

touchring
19th January 2007, 03:14 PM
You are not wrong there. I realise very much that I am a domainer and not a developer. I paid for the development. It appears to have been a waste of money, but I am not particularly blaming anyone. I think to date dot JP have been favoured over dot coms, but perhaps for techincal reasons.

There could be a lot of factors. Hosting may be a factor. Any site that goes as slow as this bloody forum will not be getting clicks in 2100!

I think it shouldn't matter. If you are a developer, you shlould still charge your own time as "expense". The same time can be used to register more idns or find out other "opportunities".

Being self-employed, i think i face the same probelm as RD - there's no "free time" to use - time at the workplace PC or maybe some time at home. All time is used to find opportunities.

Rubber Duck
19th January 2007, 03:19 PM
People who do not "expense" their time are Amateurs. Nothing wrong with that. If you are into IDN for a hobby rather than a way of making a living, that's fine. I don't understand it, but I don't question anyone right to pass their leisure time as they please.

petrosc
19th January 2007, 03:45 PM
just read this thread, this is amazing! Congratulations!

Just a few SEO question that popped out of my head while reading the thread.
1. Can using content from wiki get your domain name banned from the search engine?

2. Does google adsense in a page affect it's ranking in yahoo?

3. I know that some SE prefer their ccTLD for higher rankings, but how about .com VS .net (or other tld)? Is there any preference in these tlds?

19th January 2007, 04:17 PM
just read this thread, this is amazing! Congratulations!

Just a few SEO question that popped out of my head while reading the thread.
1. Can using content from wiki get your domain name banned from the search engine?

2. Does google adsense in a page affect it's ranking in yahoo?

3. I know that some SE prefer their ccTLD for higher rankings, but how about .com VS .net (or other tld)? Is there any preference in these tlds?

- Wiki content will not get you banned, it just wont do much good in getting you higher on the serp's
- Depends what theory you want to believe..surely it is not supposed to but some feel yahoo naturally would favor sites using they're ypn network rather google's.
- TLD wouldn't affect your ranking really.

not to ruin the party..and i would love to be wrong but i feel this example is a yahoo algo glitch.

rhys
19th January 2007, 04:29 PM
If you use wiki content, make sure you give attribution somewhere. They say it doesn't help with page ranking but the if your domain name is on the first page of results anyway, who cares.

touchring
19th January 2007, 04:47 PM
- Depends what theory you want to believe..surely it is not supposed to but some feel yahoo naturally would favor sites using they're ypn network rather google's.

One of my english adsense ascii site got heavily penalized by yahoo.com recently after occupying 1st page for like 1 year, it suddenly droped to nowhere, but it seems to me that yahoo jp has a different algo.

sarcle
19th January 2007, 05:35 PM
not to ruin the party..and i would love to be wrong but i feel this example is a yahoo algo glitch.

Actually want more proof that this isn't? Yahoo.co.jp has been favoring IDN built sites for some time. I've had adult.com's in top spots for months it's only been these last few weeks I've decided to make some sites for "keyword" terms. Anyways .jps aren't the only one's getting favored look up the term erotic or "エロ" in yahoo.co.jp. It's a IDN.tv on the first page.

Proof that .com's can hold their own against .jps with no original content.

プラチナ (http://プラチナ.com) (platinum) This site is less than a week old with no original content whatsoever. Not another single .com on this page for this search.

Yahoo Search: プラチナ価格 (platinum price)
http://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=%A5%D7%A5%E9%A5%C1%A5%CA%B2%C1%B3%CA&fr=top_v2&tid=top_v2&ei=euc-jp&search.x=1

And while the overture isn't that spectacular, the bids are decent; again this site is less than a week old with no original content. .coms can and do get ranked amongst the .jps and rather quickly I might add.

Hope this helps. I've got more if any wants more help in believing it's not just .jp.

My question is, with terms like these and rankings like these, how long will it take before the japanese businesses spending major ad dollars start to notice we are taking their spots and they could be spending much less?

My guess is not that long.

rhys
20th January 2007, 05:34 AM
Ah to hold a number 1 spot on yahoo.jp for a heavily searched commercial term. It's very sweet while you are on top, I must say that!

Tonight my fortune cookie read: "You will fare far better in real estate than in the stock market". My read - real estate = IDN and stock market = my IRA.

sarcle
20th January 2007, 05:47 AM
Ah to hold a number 1 spot on yahoo.jp for a heavily searched commercial term. It's very sweet while you are on top, I must say that!

Tonight my fortune cookie read: "You will fare far better in real estate than in the stock market". My read - real estate = IDN and stock market = my IRA.

Actually I did get a fortune cookie tonight. Had chinese food. It read: "You will travel far with much sucess."

So I guess I should build more sites then huh? :)

20th January 2007, 06:14 AM
Very impressive results taking in consideration the minimal effort and time.

Sure it makes sense Yahoo Japan would give priority to Japanese sites/url's...would be important to see a real 'full' / content rich site achieving rankings like that for a keyword with i.e over 10mm returns on serp's

but with all we got for now based on the above examples it looks promising.

Does anyone have a site that also is on page 1 on yahoo and/or google in a different country?

Prodigy
20th January 2007, 06:29 AM
Congrats Sarcle!!!

Welcome to the club ;)

SEO is a double edged sword, but I plan to flood the search engines with my 100 .JP domains and average my rankings/ exposure out.

A previously #1 ranked site moved to #30, while one of my sites that was previously unranked moved to #60

All my other sites were unaffected.

touchring
20th January 2007, 06:34 AM

Sure it makes sense Yahoo Japan would give priority to Japanese sites/url's...would be important to see a real 'full' / content rich site achieving rankings like that for a keyword with i.e over 10mm returns on serp's

Does anyone have a site that also is on page 1 on yahoo and/or google in a different country?

I got ASCII sites that are ranked #1 or #2 on English Google for keyword searches, but these are usually PR5 and hundreds to thousands of incoming text links from PR1 or PR5 sites.

Recently, one of them lost a one year old #2 rank for a single keyword, dropped to inside pages, i'm still busy findiing out why. This site has PR5, thousands of inbound links, and 10,000+ pages.

I'll probably look into my jps once i find time, wanna capitalize on this while yahoo.jp algo works to our advantage. Good finding you guys, this confirms the trend. :)

idn
20th January 2007, 08:26 AM

Several in Arabic on Google.com, but none for the countries (i.e. google.com.eg). Arabic clicks are terrible anyway, some of the domains receive over a thousand visits, but barely generate enough money per month for a decent lunch. Hopefully that changes.

touchring
20th January 2007, 08:38 AM
Several in Arabic on Google.com, but none for the countries (i.e. google.com.eg). Arabic clicks are terrible anyway, some of the domains receive over a thousand visits, but barely generate enough money per month for a decent lunch. Hopefully that changes.

Adsense or ND>? What's your average arabic PPC for ND. Try fab's method.

idn
20th January 2007, 08:48 AM
Adsense or ND>? What's your average arabic PPC for ND. Try fab's method.

3 to 5 cents per click, currently at Sedo...but Namedrive was almost identical. Sedo has gotten better search rankings, but that is probably just a coincidence. Adsense, ha, Adsense for Arabic idns actually pays less than parking programs. In my experience that is...

touchring
20th January 2007, 09:03 AM
3 to 5 cents per click, currently at Sedo...but Namedrive was almost identical. Sedo has gotten better search rankings, but that is probably just a coincidence. Adsense, ha, Adsense for Arabic idns actually pays less than parking programs. In my experience that is...

Tt might becos ND pays 1 cent even when it's 0 cent. Adsense does not necessarily pay more than ND, i think the key advantage from using adsense is the ranking and indexing. Without traffic from ranking, i think earnings might be lesser.

Fka200
20th January 2007, 09:36 AM

If you don't like em, let me know!

Prodigy
20th January 2007, 10:08 AM

Check out a search in yahoo.co.jp for:

荷物

It means "Luggage"
I am ranked #2. I used to have another ranked at #1 (Jelly) but I just dropped to #30 yesterday.

I've developed another 5 websites over the past 2 days and expect to rank in the first page for a few more key words.

Also check:

ブッツ

which means Boots in Japanese, consistently in the first page of rankings... Rhys, did you ever encounter a drop in rankings before you made it back to the first page?

rhys
20th January 2007, 02:36 PM
Check out a search in yahoo.co.jp for:

Also check:

ブッツ

which means Boots in Japanese, consistently in the first page of rankings... Rhys, did you ever encounter a drop in rankings before you made it back to the first page?

Yes I did. For both "boots" and "shiba-ken" (a popular dog breed). Then I exchanged a few links and added an RSS feed to the sites. They are both back though it took a month. I'd love it if they were more stable but hell this is at least better than parking. Both of these sites have earned their reg fees for more than 15 years!