PDA

View Full Version : How-to-do Mini-Site website???

Lmg67
24th January 2007, 09:20 PM
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a website that teaches how to build a mini-site. I would like to start doing something with my domains, mostly in Hebrew, but I have no idea how. I don't know how to put in Adsense, I don't know how to transfer information from Wikipedia for example to my own name, or how to type in information, actually I just realized I don't think I have anyone hosting me since I buy at Domainsite for $6.99. I have to be hosted, right? I don't even know how that works. (getting hosted)

As you can see, I am a newbie x 100 with this. But I really want to learn how to do it and I have the time. I am smart and a quick learner, I just need clear instructions. Once I know how to do it, I could get some sites up pretty quickly.
Thanks!
Laurie

yanni
24th January 2007, 09:33 PM
Yup, your first step would be to get some hosting :)

Hostgator (https://secure.hostgator.com/cgi-bin/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=yanni1&campaign=Urtrade) offers some cheap plans with multiple add-on domains. (shameless aff plug)

Then, #1: unless you wanna learn html, you can get yourself a WYSIWYG (=What You See Is What You Get) html editor where you basically paste your content and it generates the html code for you. Your system may have one pre-installed already. There's still a learning curve involved here.
Then you upload to your server and there you have it.

Option #2: Get someone else to do it for a small fee. There are a couple of members here who offer these services. Michael, Blast...

Option #3: Open a free account with domainmanager.com They provide free redirection services. Change your domain's nameservers and use their free site option to create your minisite. ( I haven't used this option with them so I'm not sure wether the site can be more than one pages, or if you need to write your own code.)

This is a good service to use overall, because they also provide multiple redirection for the same domain, besides the free use of their nameservers. Especially for those who use the $6.99 price on Domaisite (no redirects).

Fka200
24th January 2007, 09:34 PM
Quick guide to building mini websites [Quick!]:

1. Get a domain [I assume you already have some :)]
2. Get a hosting provider - I recommend something cheap to start
3. Change the nameservers from your registrar to your new hosting service (you know how you have NS set to Namedrive -> ns1.fastpark.net and ns2.fastpark.net ? Well your hosting will probably give you something like ss1.hostingprovider.com ns2.hostingprovider.com and those are your new nameserviers]
3. If you don't know HTML or can't code in notepad, get a program like Dreamweaver or Frontpage
4. Basically everything from there (using these programs) make life a lot easier. You can copy paste from Wikipedia into the .html document you are creating, change font, move stuff around
5. Assuming you finished and have the website the way you might want it, save it.
6. Get an FTP program like SmartFTP and get the ftp login/password you got from your hosting provider
7. Upload the .html file you made in Dreamweaver/Frontpage/Notepad into your public_html folder.
8. Go to your website, it is now live and you have control over what will be seen by the world.

I'm sure I left out a lot of small things, so if you run into a problem, feel free to PM me or just post in this thread. I can try to help as much as I can ;)

** I would recommend you learning how to start building sites yourself. Having hundreds of domains developed is VERY costly, so start little by little. After your first website, you will get the hang of it. What takes 1 week to build now will take no more than 30minutes later.

As for Adsense, you sign up for an adsense account. You need a decent site up right now in order to get approved. I would recommend you quickly open a Blogspot account, and create a blog. Sign up under your blog. Any mini website you make wont get approved since it might be thought to be a " Made For Adsense " website -- which google does not want.

After doing this, learn about smart pricing, basic SEO tips, and such.

Neptune
24th January 2007, 10:34 PM
To add on to that i would suggest at least learning the basics of html, it will be worth your time... There are plenty of basic tutorials online.

DavyBUK
24th January 2007, 10:42 PM
Rather than hand cranking a site in html you might find a CMS is a better option...there are many fairly simple ones that will make a decent site like e107 or SNews....you can try them out on

www.opensourcecms.com

and see if you can find one that suits you....