PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on .net for Japanese IDNs?

alex
10th February 2006, 08:12 AM
Since .jp vs .com is covered in another thread, what is your thinking on aquiring .net Japanese names?

If you find a good term with .com and .net available, do you pick them both up or just the .com?

If the .com is already taken or "variant exists," do you pick up the .net or move on in search of a better .com?

What are your Overture/Google thresholds for picking up .net names?

---

Personally, I have a limited budget, so if I find a term with both .com and .net available, I just pick up the .com.

I have been picking up quite a few .net names though, when they're the only ones left.

With my limited budget, am I throwing money away with .net-only aquisitions at this point?

I'm planning to hold some names for 1-2 years or more, depending on how the market develops (and depending on offers). What are the chances that good generic .net names will be in widespread use in the next few years?

Where will Japanese IDN .net values end up? 1/10 or 1/20 of .com or higher? 1/100 of .jp?

touchring
10th February 2006, 08:56 AM
Since .jp vs .com is covered in another thread, what is your thinking on aquiring .net Japanese names?

If you find a good term with .com and .net available, do you pick them both up or just the .com?

If the .com is already taken or "variant exists," do you pick up the .net or move on in search of a better .com?

What are your Overture/Google thresholds for picking up .net names?

---

Personally, I have a limited budget, so if I find a term with both .com and .net available, I just pick up the .com.

I have been picking up quite a few .net names though, when they're the only ones left.

With my limited budget, am I throwing money away with .net-only aquisitions at this point?

I'm planning to hold some names for 1-2 years or more, depending on how the market develops (and depending on offers). What are the chances that good generic .net names will be in widespread use in the next few years?

Where will Japanese IDN .net values end up? 1/10 or 1/20 of .com or higher? 1/100 of .jp?

Well, good "single word" .nets are better than average .com. One must keep in mind that .nets are more readily accepted in the far east than in america.

Olney
10th February 2006, 09:04 AM
I think this is a good question.
My position is to get the dot coms & dot jps but
If I wan't able to find excellent dot coms & net then I would be registering dot nets

Also you have to realize the first to develop these gets bragging rights.... & SEO benefits....

It's about making & developing the IDN market not just to sell them....

alex
10th February 2006, 09:21 AM
Also you have to realize the first to develop these gets bragging rights.... & SEO benefits....

It's about making & developing the IDN market not just to sell them....

That's what I'm hoping. Part of my own justification for picking up .net is that if there's a real developed site on "cars.net" or "sextoys.net" they will still get great value from the name, especially if the .com/.jp domains stay undeveloped while their owners hold out for higher prices.

alexd
10th February 2006, 10:52 AM
Great question, and one that I have had in my head for a while now.

There were some names I wanted to register, but with the .com taken, I was a little wary about regging the net versions.

However, after checking out whether or not the .com versions were actual sites, or parking pages, the latter being the answer, I decided to go ahead and reg a couple of .nets, which I do plan to develop.

Alex

touchring
10th February 2006, 12:07 PM
That's what I'm hoping. Part of my own justification for picking up .net is that if there's a real developed site on "cars.net" or "sextoys.net" they will still get great value from the name, especially if the .com/.jp domains stay undeveloped while their owners hold out for higher prices.

Well, let's put it this way, a Japanese car dealer will take car.net, if .com is not available. SportsCar.com will still be inferior to cars.net.

rhys
14th February 2006, 10:18 AM
Well, let's put it this way, a Japanese car dealer will take car.net, if .com is not available. SportsCar.com will still be inferior to cars.net.

Unless he sells sportscars, that is.

I do like some 2word domains because the traffic is sometimes better targeted that I at least have a idea for what the content and ads should be as well as who I could sell to ultimately. Like I recently purchased up 品質管理 and 品質保証 in .com/.net/ .jp. The overture isn't high, below 10K but the traffic is pretty targeted and plenty of companies to go after. I am writing up a sales letter to see if any of the QC and QA companies have interest in owning the category and shutting out competitors. It may yet be too early for direct sales, but I'll give it a shot.

In a similar vein, I also own a ton of geospecific sex services domains in all 3 extensions. It may take more work to monetize the traffic but it just smells like money to me.