PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions about private sales

alex
10th February 2006, 09:14 AM
Please go easy on me. ;)

I started out picking up a few domains to go along with some sites I'm developing, but now I've caught the domain harvesting bug.

1) What are your personal preferred ways to handle transactions? Escrow.com? Or do you use the escrow service of whatever company you're parking with? (I'm currently parking with NameDrive and Sedo.) Or do you use other methods for transactions?

What's the most secure and cost-effective escrow service or alternative?

2) What are the specifics of the 60-day limitation on domain transfers? Is that limitation only placed on domains using WHOIS privacy options or all new registrations? Or is it a limitation only placed by certain registrars?

Is there any way through Whois lookups or another method to determine whether a certain domains falls within that 60-day no-transfer period?

For domains that fall within a 60-day no-transfer restriction, is there any way around it with fees or legal paperwork?

Any advice is appreciated.

Edwin
10th February 2006, 09:28 AM
The 60 day transfer rule is between registrars.

You can transfer a domain to somebody else within one registrar (e.g. Domainsite) any time you like - you don't have to wait 60 days. Just have them create a Domainsite account of their own and push the name over to that account, and bingo it's theirs.

Escrow.com works reasonably well for domain transactions, but if the amounts are small (or the other party is a "known" domainer) you can save fees by doing the transaction on trust.

alex
10th February 2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the informative reply.

Escrow.com works reasonably well for domain transactions, but if the amounts are small (or the other party is a "known" domainer) you can save fees by doing the transaction on trust.

What's the generally accepted process for trust transactions within the community? Does the burden fall on the buyer to trust that the seller will actually transfer the domain after payment is recieved? Are half-now, half-later payments common? Or are there other types of agreements?

Edwin
10th February 2006, 12:50 PM
Usually it's money up front, if there's trust there. But half and half might work I guess though less trust is implicit. At some point, you might as well just escrow it!

alex
10th February 2006, 01:56 PM
Ok, thanks again.