PDA

View Full Version : Greek IDN question

alexd
10th February 2006, 12:44 PM
Just wondering if anyone with some experience with Greek IDNs can help me out here.

I went yesterday to reg a greek idn, which including the stress/tone on a specific letter, eg: αθήνα

The name without the tone, eg: αθηνα, was already regged, so I believed I would be able to reg the version with the tone.

Both names by the way have different punycode.

Anyway, I did a check for the toned name before I purchsed it, and no site or name existed. I checked the "non-toned" version, and was redirected to a site.

This morning, I receive an email saying that the name couldnt be regged. Slightly confused, I went to check the name, and sure enough, it redirected me to the same page that the "non-toned" name took me too yesterday.

So, my question is, once you have regged a Greek IDN, tone or no-tone, do you have the rights to both of the names ??

Hope that made sense ??

Thanks for reading.

Alex

huronargentino
10th February 2006, 01:01 PM
I dont think so.
If they have different punycode should be 2 different adresses
For example in spanish, the domain compañía (company) its not the same than compañia (without the tone).

So, something strange, maybe the whois was not working well and they said was available when it was not.

alexd
10th February 2006, 01:19 PM
thanks for the reply.

I have just done a whois check on the name I ( supposedly ) regged yesterday, and it is showing that it was regged yesterday at Domainsite.

I tried to reg the name at Idotz.net, so it may have been a case that someone else regged the name at roughly the same time as I tried to yesterday. Coincidence or what ??

Anyway, I appreciate your reply.

Alex