PDA

View Full Version : IE6 works for IDNs?

g
10th February 2006, 01:29 PM
I don't understand alot in the browsers stuff

but for arabic IDNs I can visit them indirectly using IE6 without typing the punycode but by just putting the original script

when I type the name in arabic I go to a verisign page which says

==============================================
WELCOME

Are you trying to visit "www.اغاني.com"?

To navigate directly to Web sites using your own language, VeriSign recommends enabling your Web browser with the i-NavTM plug-in. Click YES to install.

YES ----------------------- NO, thank you

Clicking the YES Install Now button means you have accepted the terms of the End User License Agreement.

More Information

©VeriSign, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
================================================

when I click no,thank you , the page go to the site directly

So I don't think we are loosing more than 50% of the traffic this way

I think the only thing that will increase the traffic to ten fold is to spread the word , so people can realize that they can type their own language

and that is happening through this site ..

comments and feedbacks are appreciated

sarcle
10th February 2006, 03:17 PM
I assume you already have the plug-in downloaded on your computer already? So clicking "no" would bring you to the site anyway because of the preexistining plugin. Most people wont just download a random plugin from a website. But I am not quite clear about this situation since this doesn't happen with ie6 for me.

I don't understand alot in the browsers stuff

but for arabic IDNs I can visit them indirectly using IE6 without typing the punycode but by just putting the original script

when I type the name in arabic I go to a verisign page which says

==============================================
WELCOME

Are you trying to visit "www.اغاني.com"?

To navigate directly to Web sites using your own language, VeriSign recommends enabling your Web browser with the i-NavTM plug-in. Click YES to install.

YES ----------------------- NO, thank you

Clicking the YES Install Now button means you have accepted the terms of the End User License Agreement.

More Information

©VeriSign, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
================================================

when I click no,thank you , the page go to the site directly

So I don't think we are loosing more than 50% of the traffic this way

I think the only thing that will increase the traffic to ten fold is to spread the word , so people can realize that they can type their own language

and that is happening through this site ..

comments and feedbacks are appreciated

g
10th February 2006, 07:02 PM
this happens with arabic IDNs only and not other languages ... other IDNs don't resolve ....

I asked my friends in the middle east region and their browsers do exactly like mine .. ??

touchring
10th February 2006, 07:22 PM
I think we really need to get in touch with that microsoft developer - i can't imagine how many of their beta developers are actively testing idn compatibility and reporting issues.