PDA

View Full Version : Overture Gone

Olney
30th January 2007, 01:02 AM
Seems like the Overture Keyword Advice tool is non functional.
It was a great help in acquiring a lot of highly searched domains.

It's really a blow to anyone doing SEO or SEM because it's used daily.

My Japanese keyword advice tool went from 70 unique users last week Tuesday to 250 unique users (yesterday)

People started to franticly look for a tool that works

blastfromthepast
30th January 2007, 01:18 AM
Bye bye.

domainguru
30th January 2007, 02:22 AM
It's really a blow to anyone doing SEO or SEM because it's used daily.

And there's the issue. The tool has been increasingly relied on by thousands of people, scripts and programs worldwide. Overture are providing a very costly service that really doesn't benefit them directly. They will either scrap it, charge for it, or password protect it.

bwhhisc
30th January 2007, 02:24 AM
And there's the issue. The tool has been increasingly relied on by thousands of people, scripts and programs worldwide. Overture are providing a very costly service that really doesn't benefit them directly. They will either scrap it, charge for it, or password protect it.

They should sell some advertising on it. I imagine that there is some high quality traffic viewing their statistics. :)

domainguru
30th January 2007, 02:27 AM
They should sell some advertising on it. I imagine that there is some high quality traffic viewing their statistics. :)

Lots of traffic for sure. But 99% of hits by volume would be scripts / programs.

Neptune
30th January 2007, 02:29 AM
still working for me, although very slow and about 1 out of every 5 times

IDNCowboy
30th January 2007, 02:40 AM
it helps overture directly - many people will develop their sites and put up yahoo ads - making overture money

bwhhisc
30th January 2007, 02:42 AM
Lots of traffic for sure. But 99% of hits by volume would be scripts / programs.

Newbie question...but how do the scripts get by the Turing Codes for bid information?

Couldn' t they just add these to the ovt requests?

still working for me, although very slow and about 1 out of every 5 times

THE MESSAGE I GET IS:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at inventory.overture.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

domainguru
30th January 2007, 03:14 AM
Newbie question...but how do the scripts get by the Turing Codes for bid information?

Couldn' t they just add these to the ovt requests?

Yes, that is certainly one possibility. There isn't any easy way to get by Turing codes etc.

The strange thing is that Overture have just let access to this service continue for years, getting slower and slower, less and less reliable, without doing anything. Its as though nobody there could decide what they should do with it ....

rhys
30th January 2007, 03:34 AM
It is ironic as there clearly is a need for this information, they have the means to provide it, and they could probably develop a modest business model around it if they so chose to.