30th January 2007, 08:13 PM
Wow, I bailed out of this one at $84.

Look how high it went:

http://idnreport.com/kele.jpg

Comments?

EDIT: Bidders' names blurred.

yanni
30th January 2007, 08:46 PM
That w2 dude is really spending a lot on a bunch of domains. Even some questionable ones.

Someone tell him he can get better prices over here :)

zenmarketing
30th January 2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah, definitely, this one makes no sense to me.

I see Coke or Pepsi as a potential buyer, but not much else commercial value. On top of that, the ASCII domain www.Cola.com is not owned by Coke or Pepsi so there may be no interest from those companies.

IDNCowboy
30th January 2007, 09:42 PM
Wow, I bailed out of this one at $84.

Look how high it went:

http://idnreport.com/kele.jpg

Comments?

EDIT: Bidders' names blurred.
What makes you think it is cola.com? j/w

put this into google.cn and click the first link - very interesting

Giant
30th January 2007, 10:40 PM
This is probably a 6-figure name. No kidding!

Yes, it means [cola].com, or [coke].com, (or even [pepsi].com).

bwhhisc
30th January 2007, 10:54 PM

Any idea of potential for the Japanese translation- コーラ.com
コーラ (飲料) (Cola) :)

idn
30th January 2007, 11:03 PM

Really, sold for $2703 and it is worth six figures, the non-idners would love that. No offense, i just think we sometimes get a little carried away with our estimates.

thefabfive
30th January 2007, 11:04 PM
Any idea of potential for the Japanese translation- コーラ.com
コーラ (飲料) (Cola) :)

I would say quite a bit, Bill. Especially since コーラ.jp seems to be owned by Coca-Cola and has been registered since 2001.

IDNCowboy
30th January 2007, 11:05 PM
Why is this name worth 6 figures? What can you sell on cola.com? I'd rather sell fur!

bwhhisc
30th January 2007, 11:11 PM
Why is this name worth 6 figures? What can you sell on
cola.com? I'd rather sell fur!

Maybe contests, giveaways, and coupons. And of course brand awareness.

Worldwide it is a $ 70,000,000,000 (70 billion dollar) industry.

Coke alone does $15 billion in sales outside of the US.

Olney
30th January 2007, 11:33 PM
If you actually see how Coke is spending on promotions/ads the cost of one day of meetings by the ad agency here is more than that.

Giant
31st January 2007, 12:38 AM
Coke is the short form for CocaCola.
Pepsi is the short form for PepsiCola.

Imagine what would happen if "Coke.com" is owned by PepsiCola? Of course, it's not possible in English, but it's possible in Chinese.

可口可乐 is CocaCola.
百事可乐 is PepsiCola.

Interestingly, 可乐 is the short form for both 可口可乐 and 百事可乐. 可乐.com is very important strategically for both companies.

Also, 可乐 is not a trademark, and people say 可乐 most of the time, but seldom its long forms.

In this case, a new Chinese idiom ---> 得可乐者, 得天下.

bramiozo
31st January 2007, 07:38 AM
Shall I note the translation as coke, cola or coke/cola ?

Prodigy
31st January 2007, 08:03 AM
Cola

Drewbert
31st January 2007, 06:13 PM
cola, definitely.

Which isn't a TM term, and there are a LOT more cola products out there than just Coke and Pepsi, which increases its value.

cola is also spanish for "tail", having sexual connotations as well. Just in case you weren't aware. :)

"warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air"

:)

domainstosell
31st January 2007, 09:45 PM
"warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air"

:)

THAT's what that means? :o

Wow, you learn something new every day... Good song!

Drewbert
31st January 2007, 10:36 PM
Well, no, in the song they're actually refering to the ends of roaches (Cheech and Chong type of roach), this is just an alternative meaning to make people even more confused over what the song is really about. :)

wangjinhk
2nd February 2007, 11:13 AM
There are 21 Trademarks called as "可乐" in China,although "可乐" could be understand as Common terms

touchring
2nd February 2007, 12:10 PM
There are 21 Trademarks called as "可乐" in China,although "可乐" could be understand as Common terms

Can you please share the website you use to check for chinese trademarks.

可乐.com is more than just a translation for Cola.com, it's basically coke.com (the drink type).

wangjinhk
2nd February 2007, 12:51 PM
Can you please share the website you use to check for chinese trademarks.

可乐.com is more than just a translation for Cola.com, it's basically coke.com (the drink type).
http://sbcx.saic.gov.cn/trade/SelectTdInfo/SelectTdInfo.jsp

I find this site seems only supports Chinese,I think you can understand Chinese so you can check these.
I don't think there is TM issue if people build a soft drink linked webiste because any soft drink company could use "XX可乐“ named their soft drink,but it still have troubles if use this domain not suitable beacuse there are 21 Trademarks named as "可乐"

Giant
2nd February 2007, 01:47 PM

When I said "可乐" is not a trademark I meant "可乐" is not a trademark of Pepsico or CocaCola -- a powerful worldwide trademark. A small local trademark in China cannot forbid you from regging a Dot Com domain in US.

可乐 (or Cola in Chinese) is a kind of soft drinks made from Kola Nut, it's a common term.

In China, very often people say "give me a glass of cola" without specifying Coke or Pepsi, they mean any brand of cola is ok. Just like I say "give me a glass of mineral water" in Canada, I don't care too much about the brand.

But in North America, you better say Coke or Pepsi if you don't want to confuse people. Cola itself is not clear enough.

So "Cola" is a must-have name for both Pepsico and CocaCola.

bwhhisc
2nd February 2007, 03:41 PM
Giant is right about them being pretty picky. If you order a Coke in a restaurant that serves Pepsi, they are required to "tell" you. I don't know any that serve both. People are pretty fanatical about their colas in US, there are devout Coke drinkers and devout Pepsi drinkers. Mosts can definately taste the difference. It is a big battle with coke and pepsi for market share and advertising.

Giant
2nd February 2007, 05:28 PM
Giant is right about them being pretty picky. If you order a Coke in a restaurant that serves Pepsi, they are required to "tell" you. I don't know any that serve both. People are pretty fanatical about their colas in US, there are devout Coke drinkers and devout Pepsi drinkers. Mosts can definately taste the difference. It is a big battle with coke and pepsi for market share and advertising.

I only drink Coke although just one or two cokes a month, rarely Pepsi :-)

Forgot to translate the NEW "idiom" I quoted: "If you own Cola, you own the market"!