View Full Version : Why IDN's are necessary

Clotho
11th February 2006, 04:24 AM
http://www.news24.com/News24/Backpage/Offbeat/0,,2-1343-1347_1878938,00.html

You may find this of interest.

bwhhisc
12th February 2006, 12:06 AM
QUOTE: Website's name 'too rude'

Hanoi - A website seeking to advertise the humble grapefruit will not be permitted to register its name in Vietnamese because the word is spelt the same as penis, an official said on Friday.

"We have to refuse the website name of www.buoi.com.vn because the word for grapefruit, buoi, without a proper tone marking can be misunderstood to mean penis," said Thai Huu Ly of the Vietnam Internet Network Information Centre.

Vowels in written and printed Vietnamese incorporate elaborate markings indicating one of six pronunciation tones. But because website addresses carry no tone indications, confusion can arise.

"The word is very sensitive so we will definitely refuse," he said.
According to Vietnamese regulations, names of websites must not contain words that "violate the national interest or are not in accordance with social ethics, lifestyle and national culture".

Clotho
12th February 2006, 01:32 AM
Needless to say, the IDN version of 'Grapefruit' would be easily differentiated from 'Penis' and would be allowed. Does .vn support IDN?

dabsi
12th February 2006, 12:53 PM
This apply also for french domains:

marche (walk) and marché (market)
divorce (divorce) and divorcé (divorced)

and so on.

for your information ALL french IDN are meanwhile reserved

Regards

DABSI from www.meilleursnoms.com

madcamel
19th February 2006, 04:35 PM
for your information ALL french IDN are meanwhile reserved

What do you mean reserved ?

dabsi
19th February 2006, 07:39 PM
I mean already registred

DABSI

donwebcorleone
20th February 2006, 12:21 AM
I mean already registred

DABSI

maybe you mean .fr, but obviously we can register .com, .net, etc. I havent tried to register any .fr but it is not the same as with .eu that they are taking reservations?

dabsi
20th February 2006, 06:54 PM
No for .fr they are ways to obtain some.

But as to .com, 2 years ago you could take every name; today people are aware of their value; I remember 2 years ago as I took sociétés (means companies)....it was a paradise....

DABSI

touchring
20th February 2006, 06:59 PM
Do you mean there are idn.fr?